The imaginatively titled Premier League 21/22 Thread

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
It's an award purely for the Sky/Fifa generation of football fans. You will only be in that top 30 if you play for one of the elite clubs, no matter how well you do.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Messi won because of his exploits in the Copa America, he got player of the tournament and top goal scorer and Argentina won it. Although the award is for 2021 it is more a case of the award being for 2020-21 season. I think if Sala carries on with the form he's showing and takes it into the African cup of nations then he's going to be pretty hard to ignore. I'm not saying Messi deserved it, he's been doing a bloody good impression of the invisible man since joining PSG.

Last edited:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
What a first touch from Sala, he is world class. Soon as he did that I new goal and Liverpool had won it!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Some good results this weekend, keeps things interesting, it looked like Chelsea were running away with it a couple of weeks ago. Spurs technically fourth now assuming they beat Burnley in the rearranged fixture (cue a 5-0 loss.) And importantly we've also managed to wipe out the negative goal difference. Yes it was only Norwich yesterday, but it was the first decent performance I've seen all season and Moura's goal was sensational, we have plenty of fire power regardless of whether Kane is scoring or not. And Skipp is starting to look like a decent midfielder.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Apparently Divock Origi (who is legend btw) has more PL goals this season than Harry Kane.
Granted Kane has been injured and sulking for large chunks of the season and Spurs have had the shambolic appointment of Nuno, but ehhh Origi has played a grand total of 38 mins of PL footy.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Ha, just as things were starting to look up!

56B4D2EC-F978-4B76-B8D3-4A2B48D4FD4B.png

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Spurs Europa fizzzy cup game is off, and probably the PL game against Brighton this w/e!
Surely they could just send the under 11's out against the frogs, not like they could do any worse than the first team squad have done in that Europa farce thing. If the French happen to pick up a few cases of covid that's an added bonus!

Spurs already have a game against Burnley to re-arranged, add in the European game and the Brighton game and their fixture list is going to be a mess. I did see somewhere that UEFA will want that fizzy cup game played by the end of December, but that looks impossible given Spurs schedule. January it is then, as the European comps start up again in Feb. There is an Int break from 24th Jan until 5th Feb and European games start again 10 days later. So Spurs will be looking at midweek games 4th-6th, 11th-13th or 18th-20th Jan. Coming on the back of the festive period of games every 25 minutes and a period of having half your squad out with Covid, that's not ideal. The FA may let them fit the two PL games in later in the year I guess. Either way, it's a mess.

Nice to see Barca crash out of the CL last night. I like the club, but **** me if you can't get out of your CL group, and a fairly easy one at that, given the fact it is rigged to get the seeds through, then you deserve no sympathy. Scoring TWO goals in six games shows you exactly where this Barcelona team are. It will be a LONG LONG time before we see them back in the latter stages of the CL regularly. It could be a while before we even see them in the CL again. How many of that team would any top 6-8 PL side take? Aguero, maybe, he's getting on a bit and injury prone. His wages would be an issue. Pique, Biscuits and Jordi Alba likewise. All four are class acts BUT their best days are behind them, and you would be paying top dollar for fading results. Ter Stagen has never convinced me, see the second goal last night, but he is not a bad keeper. The rest of that squad is kids, some of whom look very good, and some who look a lot less good, and players like Memphis Depay and Demebelelelelele. Both of whom have failed to live up to their supposed talent.
Given Barca need to sell before they can buy, AND cut the wage bill, I have no idea how anyone can turn that into a CL standard side again.

Good luck to Xavi. I'd say there is more chance of Newcastle staying up

lejackal

Grand Master
I don't really understand how spurs can postpone yet arsenal couldn't? You either have a Covid outbreak clause or you don't. case by case is bollocks.
If you can't put out a team then it should be a 3 nil loss (pretty sure this happened before and the team in question got relegated as a result of it. Middlesbrough maybe?)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I don't really understand how spurs can postpone yet arsenal couldn't? You either have a Covid outbreak clause or you don't. case by case is bollocks.
If you can't put out a team then it should be a 3 nil loss (pretty sure this happened before and the team in question got relegated as a result of it. Middlesbrough maybe?)

Should we be given a 3-0 loss for the snow in Burnley as well :ROFLMAO: There hasn't been a decision on the PL game yet, I seem to recall City had a game postponed at the start of this or end of last season due to Covid. These aren't exactly normal times, I think (all) clubs should be cut some slack for things out of their control, for all we know these players may have no symptoms so be perfectly fit to play.

For the ECL game although we haven't been told which players are affected, I read earlier this week that if you can't put out 13 of your original 25 including at least one goalkeeper, then the game can be postponed. So that gives us an idea of who must have it (possibly both keepers.)

lejackal

Grand Master
Man City v Everton and Villa v Newcastle we're both covid postponed last season but arsenal were not allowed to this season

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Wasn't it only a couple of players though? I'm sure there must be some logic applied to it

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
From what I have seen Arsenal had 3 players down with Covid and they didn't ask for a postponement. They may, or may not, have got one, but the fact they didnt ask means we will never know.

UEFA and the FA/PL have different rules as well. As in, UEFA have rules and the FA have a wishy washy vague as **** statement.

I do think 13 players including a keeper is enough, but I would be pissed if my club was in that position and asked to play. Saying that, if the FA had said that at the start of the season, there wouldn't really be a come back.

The PL games aren't the issue, (Brighton have 9 players injured so they won't complain at all) the season runs until May so there is plenty of time to fit in one or two games. A w/e when FAC games are played, if both sides are out would be an obvious example. The UEFA fizzy challenge waste of time trophy cup shield is the tricky one.
If UEFA stick to the rules and want it played by the end of the month, Spurs only hope is to push back the WH game (is that league cup?) by 24 hours and play the European game between a w/e PL fixture and a midweek LC game. That would mean playing Thurs (Leic), Sat (Liv), Tues (Rennes), Thurs (WH), Sun (Palace), Tues (Saints), Sat (Watford) between 16th Dec and 1st Jan. That's in seven games in seventeen days. That's beyond brutal.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It's just been announced that Spurs ECL fixture will not be rescheduled as a suitable date could not be found, so will be interesting to see what UEFA decide to do. I imagine with Spurs sitting third currently, we'll be out.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
You beat me to it.
100% Spurs are out. UEFA may put it down as a draw, but my money would be on a forfeit and 3-0 win for Rennes, either way, Spurs are out…….of the competition they had the most chance of winning.

Granted, tiz only the 3rd rate European competiton, but you don't have any decent sides to best to win it. To win the LC or FAC you have to get past some combination of Poolc, Chelsea, City and the likes of Utd, WH, and Arsenal, all of whom are at least broadly on Spurs level. The only team you had to worry about that ECL was Roma who are struggling atm.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yep the Spurs trophy curse continues! Although it now seems it was Rennes who wouldn't agree to a new date, so it's possible (although unlikely) they forfeit the game.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I would assume UEFA will punish Spurs for their initial refusal to play rather than Rennes. Though I havent heard how many fit and eligible players Spurs had. Nor have I heard what potential dates Rennes rejected. The details will decide the outcome. But I would put money on Spurs nt needing their passports after xmas.

Shocking penalty decision for City. How the **** VAR looked at that and thought it was a pen is beyond me. The usual routine, the refs think it's a pen, the players, ex players/managers, and fans ALL say 'no way is that a pen.'
VAR has been better this season, but that was shocking. Still not like handing City 2pts could decide the title or cost Wolves a European spot.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Pool Rb Salzburg. Chelsea Lille, Utd PSG, and City Villareal.

7 if the 8 ties are all but walkover, Utd PSG is the only one that could be worth watching for anyone who likes a close game.

Also nice to see UEFA **** up their own draw. Utd were initially drawn away to Villareal! Impressive stuff.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
And now they have voided the whole CL draw and decided to redraw it.

Utter shambles.

Apparently after Utd were ruled out as opponents for Villareal, for some reason, the Utd ball was not put in the pot of potential opponents for Alti. Who then drew Bayern. Regardless of their (Atleti's) blatant self preservation in gurning about it, that second **** up is a lot more serious than the first. You can't really keep a draw where a team was denied a potential opponent cos the morons running it don't know their own rules.
The first mistake was a non event really, all they had to do was what they did, ignore Utd coming out and draw another ball. The second **** up, does invalidate the whole draw.

Watch Pool get PSG now

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Pool Inter. City Sporting. Chelsea Lille (still, they had a 50:50 on Real). Utd Atleti.

Still a walk in the park for City and Chelsea. Slightly harder for Pool and Slightly easier for Utd.

Real PSG looks like a great game. Can both clubs lose please!?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom