Today I learned that the Dreamcast...

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
...can play burned CD-Rs without any modification to the console :oops: I had no idea this was possible, since the Saturn /PS1/Gamecube all required mod chips for copied games, I just assumed the Dreamcast would as well.

There are two caveats to this - firstly, the original Dreamcast games were special CDs with a larger capacity, so you need to find resized ROMs to burn. And secondly, some very late Dreamcast consoles removed this feature (which is related to the playback of audio CDs.) But I've just burned a few and they work great on mine :)

lejackal

Grand Master
...can play burned CD-Rs without any modification to the console :oops: I had no idea this was possible, since the Saturn /PS1/Gamecube all required mod chips for copied games, I just assumed the Dreamcast would as well.

There are two caveats to this - firstly, the original Dreamcast games were special CDs with a larger capacity, so you need to find resized ROMs to burn. And secondly, some very late Dreamcast consoles removed this feature (which is related to the playback of audio CDs.) But I've just burned a few and they work great on mine :)
Yep, I didn't know BiTD but apparently this was an issue for the console as people could easily buy and sell copies (quite how true that is given the larger memory capacity of the discs I don't know)

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
Seem to remember having something called a Utopia Boot Disc for my Dreamcast that you loaded up before the CD-R. Later on images were on the web that incorporated this boot sequence to the disc header.

Latest posts

Top Bottom