Today on Facebook...

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Firstly for me I can never condone crossing the threshold and attacking people ( ie people selling repro) and personally attacking with abuse and unsavoury comments, there are enough words in the English language to be able to articulate your discontent and displeasure with somebody who is doing something that you believe to be wrong and damaging, without resorting to base insult and profanity.
However, to be promoting repro and trying to justify it is wrong ....end of... there is no justifiable reasoning for someone to dress up distribution of repro as doing a service, as the damaging aspects far outweigh the so called positive of doing this.
Producing and distributing repro is simply a money spinner where somebody sees an opportunity to make money ...simple as, and that does not take into consideration the damage it does to the hobby.

I am glad I don't partake of Facebook for this reason, unfortunately repro is something that exists that is generated by people wanting to make. Quick Buck, and having no consideration for the consequences of what they do, we cannot legislate for this, it exists and we cannot stop it but we can highlight the negativity of repro and the damage it does, and hope the message gets out there and is taken on board by the majority of people ...but do it in a positive way, with no malicious intent...god knows the world is in a bad place ..we can only do what we think is right and hope that common sense and decency prevails and the majority of people understand and Get on board.

Sundancer Squadron

Jedi Master
Supporter
Got agree with you completely, Ill be clear though whilst I can understand why some people buy repro I just wont defend those producing them as its just purely to make money.

I do wonder though, whats the betting the prices are just being manipulated up to a stupid level moments before all the investment collectors suddenly start offloading all the nice high end graded mocs/figures and so on...hmmmmmm

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I don't like repros and wish they were not part of the hobby, but as long as there is demand for them people will make and sell them. As long as sellers sell them as repros I can't really see what you can do and if some collectors are happy with repros then is it for anyone to tell them otherwise?

lejackal

Grand Master
I have no issue with the non floating repro, yes, c**** will still try and pass it off but it's so easy to spot it almost doesn't matter. The only reason this clown has made floating repro is to be able to sell it at higher prices to people that know they stand a reasonable chance of passing it off as the real deal. Him and his cronies are parasites, utter scum.

Sundancer Squadron

Jedi Master
Supporter
ohhhhh, now that I didnt know. Ill have to follow this more, guess i'm in a bubble not being on FB. Anyone who wants a cheap stand in would just go for a simple repro marked as such somewhere on it. To actually create a nice floating repro, he'd have to know that the only people buying them would be people passing them off as the real thing.

F@ck the cnut.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I just seen some cretin on FB put a black palace blaster wtb post - will pay £90 for a black palace blaster, cash waiting etc.

Is this where we are now? ****ing joke. I'm glad I'm taking a step back from collecting and that I've virtually completed my loose set. I've got no time for it anymore and the mentality and prices on FB are ridiculous. This hobby and toy line is in the shittest place it's ever been. I'm out 👋😎

Sundancer Squadron

Jedi Master
Supporter
You know what is really a joke? Its a bunch of people manipulating the market for these things and people are completely falling for it. Half of the time its not even real people, its just a ploy into creating a value.

I'm out though, ill be sticking to modern, and only picking up vintage from forum members.... You know what will happen though, it will get to a point when legitimate collectors will just say no and they will be stuck with these things.

Sad times indeed.

MarkG

Jedi Master
No wonder prices are insane when idiots are posting up what they want to pay !!
Really can't make this crap up nowadays.
Was also a for sale post earlier for a few figures... one idiot said that prices were too cheap and to speak to admin !! WTF.. if the guy was happy to sell at those prices then leave it be.
Guess all those pricks that overpaid would be spitting feathers as their collection halved in value.. :lol:

lejackal

Grand Master
Pretty sure you all know my opinion on prices so hopefully you see where I'm coming from on this.

Yes, offering 90 quid for what is currently a 60-70 accessory is brash, perhaps even stupid, but is the reaction to it on Facebook appropriate?

On the major UK groups price bashing on sales is banned and people that do the bashing get booted, if I want to list something at 30% higher than the going rate no one can say anything. This guy wants something so try's to buy one and he gets absolutely panned for it, yet not a squeak will be said to sellers pricing high. Double standards and going for an easy target at its worst.

Sundancer Squadron

Jedi Master
Supporter
I don't think anyone is just targeting buyers specifically, even with the latest example. The same distain is shown for both sellers and buyers, its turned into a strange game for sure.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I get that the majority of the guys on this thread don't like Facebook. Each to their own. No right or wrongs. Me, I appreciate both mediums - forums and the FB platforms. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Yes there's a lot of dick swinging on FB and prices are currently insane (though as Carl says so is eBay and eventually prices will settle down or unfortunately they'll trickle down to even this forum).

But tarnishing everyone on FB with the same brush is unfair and a little short-sited. A lot of the great research being done in the hobby at the moment is on that platform. If you surround yourself with the right people you can learn a lot, stay one step ahead of the new collector circles and avoid the dick swinging, the fighting and the ridiculously high prices.

A lot of people on here have become disillusioned with vintage collecting and are talking about getting out of the hobby but with the research being uncovered in some of my circles and the friendships made as a result, last year was one of my favourite in the hobby, despite the harrowing Covid backdrop.

UKS

Jedi Knight
I think it's fine for him to offer what he wants for what he wants. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Me? I would never ever pay that - but to be honest as a child I threw the weapons into a box and played. I was never concerned! I guess it's how you approach it.

Don't worry though, as we all age and die, prices will absolutely crash - like they have in things like Dinky et al, as there is no one left with the childhood memories.

The funny thing is seeing the increases in other fandoms. Action force used to be pennies and now the prices are shooting up!

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
If repro is clearly marked is the distinction I make whether it's up for sale on FB or anywhere else if it's produced to float and to exactly match up with vintage ( weapons for example) it gets passed on and sometimes unwittingly and will the cause issues further-down the line. Not everyone has time, investment in the hobby, or are new to the hobby, and will get stung by repro.
FB in the collecting arena and within its wider audience as a SM platform is fine for those that use it, horses for courses it is those that would use that platform as a conduit/channel for nefarious gain by passing repro off as original.
As with all things in life when purchasing .....Caveat Emptor

Clawrence

Jedi Knight
Over on Facebook market place today....... I stumbled across a new artist Zak Swani selling his wares :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3618323601549307/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 13.04.57.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 13.04.57.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 13.05.08.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 13.05.08.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 43

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Clawrence said:
Over on Facebook market place today....... I stumbled across a new artist Zak Swani selling his wares :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3618323601549307/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

Only Leia left...be quick.

Clawrence

Jedi Knight
:lol: :lol:
Mini99 said:
Clawrence said:

Only Leia left...be quick.

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
Certainly depressing.

I saw someone trying to sell the Last 17 Jabba's Dungeon bagged figures (Amanaman, EV9D and Barada) for $1066 total yesterday. Forgot to make a screenshot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom