U grade fad dying off?

plantman

Sith Lord
well finally, i can see a trend in prices that the stupid U grade is a dying want for star wars collectors, i still see U90'S are fairly high but you can get U85's for £20 now which must be a loss on grading and postage costs.

There is light at the end of the tunnel :)

Vaders_Child

Padawan
Yeah the U is dead as is the normal loose graded afa figures,carded is and has always been the future and to boot there are even less cards out there now because of the U so by default this should push prices of moc's up in the future.
It costs about £16 per loose figure to be graded by afa under the express tier and then there is shipping costs and the cost of buying them in,in the first place so after all that to have it sell for £25 on evilbay is a loss every time.
I cant see traders sending loose figures off for grading anymore unless its a blue snag,vc jawa,vlix,proto or a dt most others just aint worth it except maybe yak for an 85+.
The U is indeed dead so breath a sigh of relief guys,but lets just hope some idiot does not send a moc vc jawa off for a U eh :roll:

shawn_k

Sith Lord
I hope that this is true. Things certainly seem to have slowed down. I just did a search for U90 and U85 on ebay completed auctions and there weren't too many that actually sold. I won't completely write it off until afa actually stops offering the service and that just might happen if the demand is gone.

PGowdy

Grand Master
This makes me shudder when i think of people doing that to carded figures. AFA are cunts and should be ashamed of themselves.
I hope to god this is over now. I personnally will never use AFA mainly because they provide this barbaric service. Idiots. What next, an AFA re-seal service?? :x

Great article by the way Shawn. :)

jaymassive619

Sith Lord
I agree Darren regarding the prices they seem to be really tailing off especially over the last 6 months! Anything other than U90 or an exspensive figure like POTF seems to seel for less than the costs of grading.

I hate to see any collectors make a loss on items due to the ebb and flow in the hobby but when it comes to U Grades i hope those that bought into it and those that submitted items to be destroyed feel it in thier pockets as the market on them colapses!

Cheers Jay

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
If U85 doesn't cut it for the submitter, then maybe the risk of it not getting a U90 grade is too high for him. Let's all hope this is the case. Somebody should ask Rulair whether it's still worth it for him.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I hope the U grade is dying a death!
No doubt a few collectors have just kissed goodbye to some serious cash (assuming they try to sell).......still not like we didn't warn them!

plantman

Sith Lord
Exactly, its a very childish fad, although collecting is deemed that way, paying £200 for a loose mint U graded figure nearly made me piss my pants....what idiots

benbob

Padawan
But at what cost to the hobby? A lot of high end poor condition MOC's have been butchered for a U-grade. Taking away the opportunity for a collector to own something that otherwise they might never have been able to afford.

ODB

Jedi Master
Never doubt the idiots is my philosophy. As much as I wish this whole U grade thing to disappear I still think it will rear its head again.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
benbob said:
But at what cost to the hobby? A lot of high end poor condition MOC's have been butchered for a U-grade. Taking away the opportunity for a collector to own something that otherwise they might never have been able to afford.

This is true. I guess we just have to be grateful it's ended/ending now. Unfortunately, we'll never be able to replace all those MOC's that were destroyed.

jaymassive619

Sith Lord
weasel said:
benbob said:

This is true. I guess we just have to be grateful it's ended/ending now. Unfortunately, we'll never be able to replace all those MOC's that were destroyed.

I agree weasel whilst its awful to think of all the rare MOC variations destroyed through peoples ignorance im just so pleased that the U Grade market seems to be slowing down - lets hope it bottoms out completely!

Jay

e30318is

Sith Lord
Let's hope we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief. Rulair and the like have put a big dent in the hobby, hopefully the damage can be contained and this stupid fad will cease. I can only imagine what collectors will think of the U graders in another 10 to 15 years time, it was/is a dark side of Star Wars collecting.
Great news, long may the rot stop! :)

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
e30318is said:
Let's hope we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief. Rulair and the like have put a big dent in the hobby, hopefully the damage can be contained and this stupid fad will cease. I can only imagine what collectors will think of the U graders in another 10 to 15 years time, it was/is a dark side of Star Wars collecting.

Collectors will value the U grades like they value the Beanie Babies everybody was fighting over in the early 90's......WORTHLESS.

e30318is

Sith Lord
tiefighterboy said:
e30318is said:

Collectors will value the U grades like they value the Beanie Babies everybody was fighting over in the early 90's......WORTHLESS.

Ha! God I used to see them sell for up to £50-80 in the mid 90's, went to a car boot last month and this guy had a stand full of the bloody things, 50p each..... Unfortunately the profit has been made already on the U grades.

plantman

Sith Lord
its quite immature to spend that amount of money on a fabricated afa letter, when a 90 grade is identical....i just couldnt emphasize how pissed off i was seeing all those moc destroyed for **** all

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom