Vhs first releases

bespinlover1978

Padawan
Again moving away from carded figures one of the guys I'm buying stuff from also has first edition VHS tapes...can anyone confirm that they are?....and what sort of value are these worth. I thought I had all the original Vhs until I saw this.

bespinlover1978

Padawan
Pics

I've seen the Jedi one before and empire but the Stsrwars one I have is different.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,128
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,124
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 1,118

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
ISTR that the first VHS releases were 1982 (Star Wars), 1984 (ESB) and 1986 (ROTJ), so I would expect to see those dates on the tapes. Pretty sure your SW and ESB are first release, and whilst I'm not sure about the ROTJ it does look different to the 1988 re-release.

I had the 1991 widescreen versions myself :)

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
I collected all the Star Wars UK VHS releases a few years back (still own a few VHS recorders!).

The Rental Library version was released by 20th Century Fox video in 1982 and was not available for retail.

CBS/Fox then took over distribution and in 1983 released Star Wars with CBS/Fox packaging. This is the one you've most probably seen and is the first retail release of Star Wars in the UK.

To reiterate, as stated above, ESB was released in 1984 and ROTJ in 1986.

Generally the videos were released in the following packaging although there may be variations(?!) -

Star Wars Rental Library version - black box with 20th Century Fox logo on inside front cover. Pre-cert video so no certificate on cover or video. Hologram sticker on video and box side. Video cassette sticker shows 20th Century Fox logo.

Star Wars first retail version - gun metal grey box with CBS/Fox Video writing at top of box just above the inlay card and CBS/Fox logo on inside front cover. Pre-cert video so no certificate on cover or video. Video cassette sticker shows CBS/Fox logo.

ESB first release version - gun metal grey box, same as Star Wars first retail, with CBS/Fox Video writing at top of box just above the inlay card and CBS/Fox logo on inside front cover. U certificate. Video cassette has pre-printed details instead of sticker.

ROTJ first release version - white box with CBS/Fox Video writing at top of box just above the inlay card and CBS/Fox logo on inside front cover. CBX/Fox video logo and slanted text at bottom of inlay card. U certificate. Video cassette sticker shows CBS/Fox and TDK logos.

2016-02-11 19.44.58.jpg

In terms of value I wouldn't (and didn't) pay more than £20 for any of these. Actually I tell a lie I did pay about £59.99 for the ESB one but that was in 1984 when it was first released!!

kingshearer

Jedi Master
I've managed to get my hands on jedi for a fiver and watched it the other day and I prefer it to the blu ray edition I have.
Not just because of the omission of the 'improvements' I just think the digital sound is not as good as the 'hi-fi' sound of the tape and the colours seem better on video too if you ignore the occasional snowstorm and forks of lightening.
I also love the CBS FOX intro at the start and the trailers which includes Cocoon and Ladyhawke with the latter a film I must try and get cos it looks brilliant.

threaders20

Jedi Knight
These are the three I have. All from the rental store back in the day :)
image_zpsv76ckigo.jpg

image_zpsynfcp0hf.jpg

Does the u mean pre cert? I always thought it meant universal :?

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Great thread and it has now given me something else to hunt for. Would love to add these first edition rental copies to my collection. Car boot sales here I come!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Not seen these since the late 80's or early 90's when my local video rental shop closed. Very cool to see them again.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Here are mine.£10 shipped from Ebay last year :D

Attachments

• VIDS.jpg
    VIDS.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 684

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
One of my youtube subscriptions is a guy who has documented every official release of the films on VHS, Beta, 8mm, laserdisc etc. Unfortunately he only talks about the US releases but its still quite interesting especially when hearing when the packaging changed.

This is his overview video but he does individual ones in his playlist that talk more in depth about each release. He is a geeks geek but I found it quite informative on the bus home from work every night!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Xtx_RGaKo

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom