Vintage Figures Spray ops Errors AND Trilogo Miscards

Joe

Grand Master
This was a reply to Fitzy but it is also worthy of a post on its own as I am sure many of you will be able to find and post pics of such figures:

Subject: Vintage Figures Missing Paint Applications MOC or Loose!

Have you ever noticed a paint mistake or non application on a figure?

Factory errors, while uncommon are something we do see in the vintage line, unpainted heads,hands, legs you name it, wrong figures on wrong cards.
Incorrect figures are very prominent on the Trilogo cards as these were essentially the last produced cards distributed all over Europe to meet customer demand but if you look hard enough you can find miscards and factory paint errors on even the earliest of carded figures. (They are however much rarer, probably because when the toys were initially produced there was a greater amount of care taken in the overall look)

MOCS

As far as Trilogos go, it is commonly understood that when the factories ran out of a certain figure they would substitute the closest figure to it and put that in the card just to get another MOC onto the shelves, that's easily the explanation for Farmboy luke on a X-wing card (hey it's luke! what's the problem?) and a droid figure like the death star droid or c3po on 2-1B card (again-it's a droid! Who cares!)

Of course there are many wierd and wonderful things that make absolutely no sense, I have seen bubbles upside down, bubbles on the opposite side of the card, and figure/cardback combinations that just don't make sense (Stormtrooper on a Warok card/ Warok on a Weequay card)
When I started collecting, I bought up as many as I found, just as novelty items really and it was a lot of fun!

Here are a couple of examples I dug up of items I have owned, I don't have a lot of photos of my old stuff but this will show you what I mean!
Weequayfrontcarded.jpg
Klaatufrontcard.jpg

Back to loose figures

I'm sure if anyone looks hard enough at a bunch of their loose figures they can find either a bad paint job or a missing paint job just look at this Lumat with no face paint :
macrolumat.jpg

So interesting YES! Rare not really unfortunately, just victimS of a mass produced line of figures and from factory workers who were likely overworked and underpaid!

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
the closet they could find to a ewok was weequay :lol: :lol: :lol: .

its funny how **** ups sell for more then proper figs /card backs if your mam had fetched that weequay home you woulldnt have been pleased :lol: :lol:

Joe

Grand Master
Just seen this on Ebay at the mo, it's definitely one of the strangest combinations as the bubble is also incorrect for the real figure.

Graded by AFA and being a completely different character on the card the seller is asking nearly $900 for it lol

theguiltyone

Sith Lord
Sure is mine, that was my 1st grail piece ever since seeing it in Chris G's top shop scrapbook back in 2001. Its not unique, there are at least 3 examples of LXW on a Luke Gunner Tri Logo card, all 3 are the Spanish PBP figure variants.

Im kinda partial to this group shot:

LXWTriLogomiscardMOCs.jpg

marc

Joe

Grand Master
Is that frosting on the LXW figure on the AT ST driver card?

Nice touch that his gun is in his hand! Always liked that on the original cards :)

theguiltyone

Sith Lord
whiteskinnydroid said:
Is that frosting on the LXW figure on the AT ST driver card?

Nice touch that his gun is in his hand! Always liked that on the original cards :)

Hey Joe, yeah its a bit frost city for that one.

Joe

Grand Master
Lucky the tri-logo bubbles don't yellow! You can afford to stick him in the sun for 20 mins and make him as good as new! :D

If you give it a go please post a before and after!

cocofstar

Sith Lord
I had a few with paint errors but I sold them to Christian on RS for his focus.

Here are a few pics (still have the Yodas):-

Stormie (Unpainted arm).
error-stormie.jpg

yoda_dg_lg_unpainted.jpg

Klaatu (Unpainted arm).
nocoo_error.jpg

Joe

Grand Master
There are many reliable sources for these figures, childhood collections from one owner, or people taking them from beater cards but with them becoming something else to collect its all to easy to stick a figure in some bleach or paint remover and voila....saying that if someone did so you would be able to track the traces.

You would be able to slightly smell the odour of paint stripper and if it was removed by a bit of force there would be some abrasion to the plastic.
Of course its possible to fake anything but the majority of cases it will be genuine error, especially if you find them in lots and not described as such.

It's the custom ones advertised as firstshots and prototypes you have to be careful of, that side of collecting is another story...you really need to do your home work and trade and buy from trusted sellers with vaild histories of the pieces.

:)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom