Vinyl collecting..

2stripes

Jedi Master
My other weakness aside from SW is Vinyl mainly 80's 90's indie alternative... Well anything really. Too many hours typing 'lp' into my eBay phone app....

Does anyone else collect and could you recommend any decent forums? I bought a record player recently but already thinking of forking out for something **** hot, no idea what to buy yet so a decent forum would be appreciated.

Ta

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
Good to hear you're a vinyl fiend too. I think Palitoyjunky has a hefty stash too.
Regarding buying up stuff I would look no further than discogs.com. Anything you could want is on there and you don't have to fight it out with other ebay fools.

I play my stuff through two Stanton turntables going through a Philip's d8714, not super high tech but I like the way it looks and sounds. It is also very loud and quite a rare model loads of lights when its playing too which is always good.
D8714.jpeg

Let me know what sort of stuff you're after as I have some of everything.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Just recently dug out my old Vinyl from when we moved, have to set up my old Pioneer 3in1 and have a listen.

Most of my stuff is 60's or 70's like Hendrix, Cream, Deep Purple ect. Mate of mines father passed away about 20 yrs ago at the time he died he had a vinyl collection in excess of ten thousand albums which where all donated to the local community radio station where he virtually lived. Would love to sit down and go through that lot today, for his age he collected everything and anything from Beastie Boys to Howlin Wolf he had it all.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I might have a few records...

records2012.jpg

About 2,000 at my last count. As PC says Discogs is a gold mine depending on what you are after (certainly for dance music.)

escapist

Jedi Knight
Discogs is awesome. I miss trawling through second hand record shops but there just aren't many left!!

I used to collect obsessively, with a huge Smiths collection (so many 12"'s, imports and test pressings), but stopped as it got too much and ebay is not fun for vinyl!!

Now I just pick up the odd new release that interests me, which tends to be new electronic stuff like Four Tet, Flylo, Burial and most of R&S label's output! Crowning glory was having my first (and probably only!) 12" released last year on a small Austrian label... Good times. Got a few boxes of them though sitting in my room though. :)

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
Nice stack Ed. I think a lot of us Vinyl collectors would be ****ed without Ikea and their Expedit storage system

.Q.

Jedi Master
I was a vinyl junkie once upon a time, I guess I've about 2,000 records? Lost count, and sold about 500 of my more valuable items to pay for the wifes MA a few years back. Good to learn there's some others here who love thier twelve-inchers (steady on), can't beat 'em. Fiddling with an Ipod or Spotify etc, is nothing like putting on a few records, a far more gentlemanly pursuit.

Palifan

Sith Lord
For those the like the vinyl!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJOScquP9F8

It's my staring role at the start and that's about 2 thirds of my collection in my old flat, the hand skills the real deal!! :lol:

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
Very good Ed, I had a few chats with John Peel when he used to broadcast a local show.
Decent guy always had time for a chat inbetween records no matter who you were.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
x-pack said:
I used to collect Acid House and early hardcore classics (up to 92). Still have them

Nice, that's what the majority of mine is (plus jungle up til 95.) If you're considering selling you should look up prices on Discogs, some 91-92 hardcore is worth a fortune if you have anything rare.

2stripes

Jedi Master
Sorry guys, started this thread then forgot I posted it :lol:

Well I have about 60 records now, bought Surfer Rosa by the Pixies and finally got a copy of the Beatles' white album this weekend too. Damn it's addictive as Star Wars. I need cheaper hobbies!

I joined a forum, maintenance and cleaning of vinyl is daunting to say the least, just thread after thread about needing Distilled water not de-ionizer water, the merits of carbon fibre brushes or vacuuming. The best wetting agent and cleaning solution combinations. I'm more clueless now than ever!

So what's the merits of discogs over eBay, is it the usual that you have more faith in what you're buying? Got a copy of loaded by the Velvet Underground yesterday from ebay and it's massively warped. Plays ok I guess but feel sea sick watching it wobble on the turntable!

escapist

Jedi Knight
2stripes said:
So what's the merits of discogs over eBay, is it the usual that you have more faith in what you're buying? Got a copy of loaded by the Velvet Underground yesterday from ebay and it's massively warped. Plays ok I guess but feel sea sick watching it wobble on the turntable!

Ahh! Despite the lack of Cale, Loaded is possibly my fav VU album!! The 2CD reissue has so many awesome bonus tracks as well....

But Discogs is just really handy. You should sign up and have a browse! Also handy for cataloguing collections.

Record Store Day yesterday.. Went to my local but all the ones I was after were sold out!

Which version of the White Album did you get?? Original UK issue? Mono/Stereo? Top or side opening?? That's one of my favourites. I have a few versions of that!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Discogs is by no means trouble free, you still get all the same **** as you do on eBay eg wrong grade, over charging postage, outright scammers etc. It's no safer, in fact if anything it's less safe as you rely solely on Paypal to resolve any issues.

But what makes it so different from eBay is that everything is cataloged, so all you do is find the release you want, and view the copies for sale. No searching, badly described items etc. It makes it much easier to find what you want and because there are often multiple copies for sale prices are usually realistic.

I wish there was a similar site for Star Wars collecting!

poncho

Grand Master
i yoused to have klf and altern 8 vinyl! sold them on ebay years ago i regret it now (i think the grainey surface noise adds characters) i have mums original first issue of darkside of the moon and wish you were here on vinyl (pink floyd) somewhere lol

2stripes

Jedi Master
Cheers guys I'll sign up then for sure. At the moment there's so many albums to buy I'm not really after anything specific I'm just browsing whats ending, mainly in the indie section.

Yeah Loaded is right up there with Nico, totally different album but always loved both equally really.

White Album is Stereo Top Opener mate number 0586417, again one of favourite albums so pretty stacked at getting a copy on vinyl. The packaging is ok the vinyl is excellent so that will do me, it's not a cheap album to get hold of.

Ah the KLF white room is a classic Poncho... 8)

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
got the first Teenage Fanclub album Catholic Education on vinyl the other day that's a good one, also the first ever Mondays 12" Delightful very good too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom