What toys will be collectible in the future?

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
I'm due to appear on a radio programme, discussing collectible toys. I'll probably be asked what toys I think might be worth something in the future but I'm short on ideas.

I'm thinking that children of today might grow up and want to collect their old toys. The only toy I can think of is HM Armed Forces dolls and vehicles. A toy shop manager I spoke to the other day suggested toys from Disney's "Cars" but I'm not convinced.

Lego is a well known investment, with sets becoming valuable as soon as they are "retired" by Lego.

Transformers always seem to increase in value. The Star Wars Black series might become collectible in the future as the supply may well fall short the demand.

Any ideas, anyone?

Craig.

itfciain

Grand Master
I'll be honest, I can't see any 'toy' being a collectable in the future just because of the mass production of these things - I also think that kids today don't build up the same attachment to them that we did - ours were a treat now kids get some many that they don't hold the same importance. Also, past a certain age then I think all 'toys' have been replaced with virtual games - PlayStation, X-Box etc

spoons

Grand Master
Toy story is already very collectable - HM Forces probably not, very niche and Action Man is probably a good guide. AM has plummeted in value since the 40th collection and as the collecting community has aged - SW shouldn't have that problem

Lego - definitely

Frozen - maybe (but there is tons of it)

Something like Skylanders has that toy/video game crossover and could appeal to collectors in 10 yrs, otherwise Hex Bugs migjt have some appeal.

A really good question :

I doubt there will ever be anything like SW again. Even if there is a similar franchise any toys will be bought by collectors and stored rather than bought by kids and played with. Just like POTF2

Palifan

Sith Lord
I'm thinking maybe Harry Potter, Lord of the rings and DR WHO. This was something that Ace touched on the other day in one of his posts and I'm thinking that those toy lines are some of the children's of today's Star Wars. Not that anything will probably ever be as big as Star Wars has become but maybe we'll see the prices climb on some of these in years to come.

Ian

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
Harry Potter may be another

Also depending on if the popularity of the series continue then Walking Dead and Game of Thrones items may hold some sort of value too!

x-pack

Grand Master
I wish we knew the answer to this, like maybe there's some sort of formula.

I have a feeling Rich is right, that kids these days don't bond with their toys as much as we did. Throw away computer games are in. Our 8 year old has figures and stuff but he's more into those little app games on his Kindle. Maybe Kindles will be collectible, you know, like a series one Kindle or something :?

If you look at what we collect and toys we had, literally everything is collectible from our childhood. It's incredible. Time is already showing that toys from my brother's childhood (he's 30) are not so coveted. I mean when you consider that Star Wars was sought after only a few years following the end of it's production, and toys from the 90's are, on the whole, yet to find a collectors market ... something in the relationship with toys must have changed:?

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
I knew a kid who bought loads of stuff from first toy story movie and kept it boxed.

Hulk hogan figs drag a nice price on eBay.

Was in tru a Xmas or so ago and some random stranger for some reason said I should buy the a akin darth Vader combi doll and keep it boxed. Got lad one and it's open and bits are some where ........will it come back and bite me in ass

Fishtalk

Jedi Knight
I think Harry Potter merchandise will be the big winner 20-30 years from now, just like Star Wars there is a huge (mostly kids) fanbase who, when they become adults and start earning money, will want to relive their childhood by buying all that Harry Potter stuff they had and threw away. Just like the 1st generation of Star Wars fans (us) are doing.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Like everyone else has said not much as it's so massed produced.

But I think some frozen stuff is a good shout as it's massive in Japan and they go nuts for toys. Anything that's massive like that and the very first packaging might be worth something IMO.

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
There are some really good points here. A lot really does depend on what kids build an attachment to in the future. I picked out HM Armed Forces because it's a toy that I doubt is being kept in mint condition by anyone. Using Madelman as a guide, a fairly small pool of collectors have pushed prices into the stratosphere. Perhaps even a niche demand for today's toys in the future will make them worth something.

I was surprised to find that there are Ben 10 figures available from US Ebay sellers at £50 plus with a "Wildmutt" going for £400. I think I'll take more of an interest in this year's boot sale season! Prices for Lord of the Rings figures are pretty high also. Frozen is popular but doesn't it mainly appeal to girls? I don't mean to be sexist but collecting is on the whole a man's pastime.

I suppose the closest thing to Star Wars for the younger generation must be Harry Potter and like Star Wars there seems to be fans of HP who have clung on after the films have ended and are still collecting. There are some pretty healthy prices being charged for Harry Potter figures on Ebay – up to £50 for a MOC from The Philosopher's Stone (which is what I paid for my Boba Fett in 1990). There are probably too many MOC Harry Potter figures around for them to reach huge value though. The Lego Harry Potter is very collectible too.

I notice that there are high prices being asked for Lego Star Wars on Ebay such as £649 for a gold C-3P0, £279.99 for a Cloud City Boba Fett and £2000 plus for the USC Millennium Falcon. The limited edition Black Series Boba Fett is going for £100 plus.

X-Pack – I agree, literally everything from our childhood is indeed collectible now. With so much emphasis on Kindles and the like, perhaps the Harry Potter generation will be the last to cherish their toys. I hope not!

Craig.

beginner

Jedi Knight
Hey Guys,

i think, today toys are mass products and very short-lived, every week I can see how my kids want to play with new toys. There are no more constant. The world has changed, it governs the abundance.

Personally for me and many other, star wars is always on the first place, most mothers and fathers share their passion to their childrens.

And of course it also depends on that what Disney does.....for both, the old collectors and for the new Generation.

old Star Wars items in top condition, are becoming more and more less, other way around the prices are constantly rising. It is no more longer a secret Hobby. I can say a lot of new people jump on the train and also they have much Money.........

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I was initially going to say no toys will be collectible in the future due to the way the world has changed, but I do think the better and bigger LEGO sets will rise in value over time along with the more disposable small LEGO sets, some of the 1990s SW LEGO sets are already getting top prices so the hints are out there already on that score.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Whilst i know this isn't a franchise, computer/video games are very collectable and even games from the last generation can fetch big money

http://www.gamesradar.com/most-valuable-wii-games/

http://www.gamesradar.com/most-valuable-ps3-games/

http://www.gamesradar.com/rarest-and-most-valuable-current-gen-games/

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Diecast vehicles from the Cars Movie are already somewhat of a modern day collectable, some of the original issue stuff sells for quite good money so I can see them becoming even more desirable when our kids are older and wanting a nostalgic toy hit.

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
we say that toys wont be collectable because they are mass produced, but star wars was mass produced and its highly collectable. I think mass produced toys creates the nostalgia factor because it was something you all, or many of you shared in. It was deemed 'acceptable' to own these things and thus the market can be revisted. I do think that since my generation of 35-45 who lived through the OT, transformers, and other related 80s movies have a certain collectable nature. Then approaching the 90s, it was computers and consoles started to dominate and films didn't have that huge marketing pull aside from a few films like Toy Story where people fought over Buzz Lightyear - that franchise was brilliant because toys came to life in the film and you could own those toys and dream that they were real. 20 years on, Toy Story is still an acceptable franchise, but was it mass? There were excellent films in the 90s, but nothing outside maybe Jurassic Park could sum up that decade.

The 90s kids will hark back to consoles & computers. Maybe the hand held electronic devices. Tamagotchi's and gameboy's with their accessories. Nintendo appeared to churn out some crazy stuff.. printers etc.

Other lines like pokemon could become a future high priced collectable. There was so much produced in the card range that mint and graded card prices will rise as they were items bought and played with, plus its an easy to display item. There were plenty of scarce cards, and because there isnt a terrific value to them, there will be people chucking them away until that generation gets the nostalgia bug. "I really want to finish that line".. or a high priced card goes for 1000s at auction and then it all starts.

lego is the big thing for me, licensee lego lines such as star wars, marvel etc. ive been selling these sets from the mid 2000s and it doesnt hang around more than 48 hours when i list it on ebay. Its multi generational, its cross generational. For cash investment I think its there.

Dr Who is an interesting one. As long as the US market continues to become engaged in it, then the stuff Daplo produced in the years Dr Who was off air could start to become collectable across the ocean. At the moment in comparison to star wars its a little niche and not many people had Dr Who toys when young. Whilst theres an affection for it across the largest span of ages, its not defined by its toys and collectables.

in conclusion: I do think a lot of parents today, due to the collectable nature in our youth we valued what we had because there wasnt that much stuff and our parents were more careful as they came from a period of austerity. My father was a teenager in the 50s, saw the war as a child, had no toys or much childhood joy. Kids today have a lot more choice and parents who satisfy those tend to add to the disposablilty of toys as kids move from coloured box to coloured box, from film fad to tv fad. My friends with children they have rooms full to the brim of toys, nothing is valued, its disposable. So, its up to the likes of Disney to create these new toylines and engage a modern generation.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Good points raised in regard to how kids view their toys today as opposed to back in the day.

In this day and age wth Xbox, PS etc, and all the technology available ( so much time spent on social media etc) kids of today won't spend as much time with one specific range. So this will affect the feelings of nostalgia when they grow up.

My lad is 31 and collects SW but we joint collect the toys of his childhood as well.

He's just bought lion o ,Tygra and another from the 8 back THUNDERCATS, mint figures and cardbacks ( no bubbles) and paid around £75 in total, he has a resealed mumraa was about £30 so these are becoming more expensive ( the mocs are daft money) same goes for MOTU.

I don't think there will ever be a collecting of figures to rival SW, it was the zeitgeist factor, 77 groundbreaking film, then the first real range of collectible figures, this bug was passed on ( genetically :lol: ) to our kids for example, dad has a glass case with figures in it, so I will collect it, bit like the very old days when dad had a train set, so little Joey took on the bug.

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
Lego definitely, the sets in all categories, but some will appreciate and be more collectible in the future.

Not sure about Frozen merchandise, over produced and will be forgotten as quick as it arrived.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
The fact that has already been raised is that kids just do not really play with toys like we did. With my kids they mostly grew dust. We all grew up in an age where the internet did not exist, computers where huge, video games were in the early stage and could be put down. We spent alot of time using our imagination and with that toys came into play.

With all that said, I am sure the children of today may look back and remember owning or seeing specific toys, but the bond is not really that strong. My kids actually love Star Wars..but they love it more in the internet, video game way.

Times have changed and while these kids may collect things later in life, I have no clue as to what it will be. Video games, consoles..not really sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom