Why so much hate for Prequels

jarjar24

Padawan
Personally I love the prequels and Sequals. Just don't get the hate. We are all here for the Love of Star Wars. So many critics on x

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Both prequels and sequels have proved to be incredibly devisive! I like the prequels and they have a certain nostalgia for me (nothing can compete with the OT for me though!). However, dreadful scripts, poor acting and overuse/dodgy CGI have taken their toll. Much prefer the sequels- much better scripts, acting, use of real sets, models and complimentary CGI. They do fall down on the overall story arc, though, because they were way too rushed. R1 and Solo were great and have really enjoyed all of the D+ series (apart from the odd episode).

sith-smith

Grand Master
I hated the Phantom Menace first time I saw it. Now however I've come to appreciate the prequels a lot more. I think even more so when I started watching the sequels. Not a sequel hater by any means, but currently I prefer the prequels

supergoose

Padawan
Supporter
Is there really that much hate for the prequels these days ? I think a lot of people who weren't that impressed have softened over the years. I enjoyed them but had the odd criticism here and there back then. My love for the prequels has definitely grown over time though, but I'm not sure that will be the case with the sequels I'm afraid. Force awakens wasn't too bad, it was a bit of fan service I guess but it at least it laid a platform to be built on in the next 2 films, but instead of getting a super skilled master of the force in Luke we got a grumpy old man and a bunch of characters I just couldn't connect with. Ray as a character wasn't too bad I suppose but I think they needed to lay the full plot of the 3 films out before they started filming it was a bit of a mess. An opportunity missed in my opinion - we'll see how they age I guess.......

Personally I love the prequels and Sequals. Just don't get the hate. We are all here for the Love of Star Wars. So many critics on x
20 plus years on I have more respect for the sequels, although I still call Ep 2 Attack of the Clowns( ranks at the worst SW film on my list) I loved the hype and the toys most of all as I was transported back to the 70s and 80s and back to playing with my mates, I think the prequels got the same dismissive criticism but again as soon as the opening scroll and music began SW once more gave me goosebumps, the over reaction of some fans was laughable! I'm of the mindset that whatever the opinion of others the SW universe has done us all good in one way or another and that The Jedi and Sith will still have a positive impact on future generations to come.

jarjar24

Padawan
20 plus years on I have more respect for the sequels, although I still call Ep 2 Attack of the Clowns( ranks at the worst SW film on my list) I loved the hype and the toys most of all as I was transported back to the 70s and 80s and back to playing with my mates, I think the prequels got the same dismissive criticism but again as soon as the opening scroll and music began SW once more gave me goosebumps, the over reaction of some fans was laughable! I'm of the mindset that whatever the opinion of others the SW universe has done us all good in one way or another and that The Jedi and Sith will still have a positive impact on future generations to come.
Good reply. I actually don't mind Attack of the Clones. It's Star Wars after all

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Most people's issue with the prequels is how good they could have been. George Lucas stuck to the story and told it how he wanted to. When in reality the fans wanted the original trilogy style but prequel story. I still love ROTS. The first two should have been the first film and then Anakin turning into Vader could have happened at the end of 2nd film or beginning of the 3rd.

I don't know they just could have been infinitely better.

Hod10

Padawan
Bit of a mixed bag for me...

Prequels: really liked Phantom Menace, hated Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith was decent.

Sequels: really liked Force Awakens, didn't like Last Jedi, Rise of Skywalker was alright.

Latest posts

Top Bottom