Will the new SW films be relevant?

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Ok, so for some reason I have been thinking about the new Star Wars films, more specifically how relevant are they going to be?

Sure, like a lot of people I am excited and looking forward to them but a large part of me wonders if they will merely be fleeting flights of entertainment or will they have a lasting relevance in the world.
For all the supporters and detractors of the 10 cinema outings SW has had over the last 35 years one thing that can be argued is that they have all be relevant in one way or another. Let me explain (stop reading here if you don't like long posts and just skip to the end)

Back in 1977 the western world was in a bit of a downer (large generalisation but go with it). There was a large amount of political flux, especially in the US and UK and the feel good 'vibes' from the previous decade had long slunk back into the short shorts from which they came. Major global conflicts dominated the landscape and there was a sense that 'The Man' had all the power. While a lot of this passed the average ten year old by the reality is you can't escape the impact the geopolitical landscape had on a child back then, because it affected your parents and teachers etc. The 70's may have been a great era for film in general it was dominated by larger, darker styled films that played on fear and social awareness, films like The Godfather, Jaws, Apocalypse Now, Saturday Night Fever, All the Presidents Men etc. Etc. hardly uplifting and certainly not fodder for kids, and then along came Star Wars. Here was a story that packaged the classic values of a good v's evil fairytale and set it in this visually stunning world. It screamed out that there is hope, that one person can make a difference, that there is a greater existence, a message that was received, understood and taken to heart by millions, it is after all part of why we are on this forum. Away from the social element Star Wars presented the greatest technical advances in film making since the end of the silent era or the advent of Kodak colour, or to put it another way, without Star Wars we would have been deprived of some of the best cinematic effects and Movies of the last 35 years, Forrest Gump (seriously look at the effects in this one), T2, Jurassic Park and the entire Pixar studio, anyone fancy a world without Toy Story? In short here was a film that reached out to an audience and gave them hope and at the same time pushed and industry to dizzy new heights. While Empire and Jedi didn't quite have the same impact they built on the foundations laid by Star Wars and reinforced the points ensuring a lasting legacy.

Roll forward a decade and bypass some very forgettable TV cartoons that missed the mark and we have the special editions. Socially the impact of these films was very different, the stories were known and the western world was in the middle of a boom period so the uplifting slant wasn't as pertinent. But over the precious decade Star Wars had become enshrined in pop culture but there were generations of young film fans who had never seen it on the big screen (including me), rumours were flying around that Lucas was planning out the prequels and there was excitement growing about what might be coming our way. Add to that digital remaster technology and the hard THX push and here were a set of films with new footage playing to a new audience pushing new technologies, they had a relevance.

Some people here (if you are still reading) might want to look away but 1999 saw the release of Episode 1 and in many ways it was as relevant to the world as Star Wars was in 1977. As with 77 the western world was entering a bleaker period, the .com bubble was bursting global politics were becoming mired once more and there was a recession on the horizon and no small amount of global conflict (although there is always that if you look) and once again we were invited to watch a film that pushed the classic values of doing the right thing, good v's evil etc. But if the social impact held relevance technologically Episode 1 rewrote the book again, the cutting edge green screen and digital work pushed film making on once more and forced film makers, studios and cinemas to up their game once more. Just liken Empire and Jedi before them Ep2 and Ep3 didn't quite match up but certainly maintained and upheld those advancements and themes and as a collective hold relevance.

The last cinematic outing was the 2007 clone wars film and once again it positioned itself well. The tone and style helped redefine Star Wars' position as a lighter less self conscious entity and paved the way for the hugely popular and critically acclaimed animated TV show (please Disney reconsider the cancellation...). So no matter what you think of the films, or elements of the films it's hard to argue that on some level each outing has added something to either or both the cinema going public or the film industry itself which brings me round to what next.

Can a new Star Wars film do the same, what technological advancements can it bring to the table, what story can it tell that resonate beyond the moment? I have no doubt that the current creative team will be thinking about this as well but in short will 2015 see Star Wars become a summer blockbuster franchise that comes and goes or will it draw on its pedigree and provide us with something more lasting?

Richard_H

Grand Master
Good post. Some thoughtful points made. Personally I don't think it can push technology much further. Look at current major releases like The Hobbit and Iron Man 3.

Now whether it can have an impact I think since GoT everything has changed. I really wanted a Game of Thrones styles underworld series because that would have been great for the back alleys of Coruscant. Bounty Hunters, criminals and villains aplenty.

However, that won't be a SW release. The new films are not for us. They are for our children. We've had our movies and the explosion of emotions that came with it. Many people are looking forward to these to recapture their youth - so will sadly be disappointed. Me, I'm going to look forward to them, and will bloody enjoy them, but they won't leave a legacy as standalones, rather as an addition to the overall saga.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
^Thanks, yeah I got carried away there a little :)

To answer a bit of my own question the world isn't is such a different place as it was in 77 or 99, (maybe it never changed). We have global conflict, political mistrust, global recession and a general air of 'what the f&@k'. My daughter is now 5 so is close to the target audience for any new film (I figure 7+) and while all of the world events pass her by they don't pass me by and that impacts her upbringing. Slide up to the university leavers and beyond and jobs are hard to find, people can't by homes etc. etc. Maybe now is a perfect moment to reintroduce arguable the most famous and influential good V's evil, triumph in the face of adversity franchise in cinema history.

Sure it won't fix any of those problems but it will provide people with a joyous escape and uplifting moment when they need it, that has to be worth something.

I agree with the technology points, I really can't see this new batch of films breaking new ground. In that respect PJ and Wetta are now the boys to beat, there double frame rate rendering and 3D in the Hobbit was outstanding and I see JJ using that technology rather than pushing Disney/ILM down their own path.

There really is only one way we will know about these films and that will be in a decade plus, long after they have been and gone and if people keep going back to them, if they stand the test of time then we will know.

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Great post Monkey.

Great moderation too Capetown, you could do lessons for RS mods :wink:

I can't see a new SW film making an impact or being as 'relevant' as the original trilogy, but I can't see any Sci Fi film doing that either. Avatar done well but even that with its 3D and CGI was not a game-changer like Star Wars was, its sequel may help cement its place though. Also as previously said this movie will probably be for our kids so we should not expect too much to keep the older generation of fans happy.

What will be interesting is to see how quickly it is accepted as canon and how much of the EU it crushes. I can see some people holding onto the EU and dismissing the new films and vice versa. We may have many branches to chose from in the future and your age will probably decide which you follow.

EU
Disney
Pre-Disney
Original Trilogy
Lucas' remixes
SW Revistied

Where does your allegiance fall?

x-pack

Grand Master
100 years ago the motor car was only just taking off. 70 years ago it was WW2. 50 years ago films were still in black and white. 30 years ago (in the UK) we only had four channels on TV. 20 years ago there was no internet and mobile phones were far from common place. 10 years ago the world was changing post 9/11.

I'm not sure what the point is but when people look back in another 30, 40, 50 years who knows what they will make of us now. Look back and think of classic films. Loads in the 70's and 80's. Quite a few in the 90's. Not so many recently. But i bet, given time, we'll be able to think of more. I'm not sure films are 'of their time' nowadays, or whether it's even possible to look on a film as being 'of it's time' at the time. Also, maybe fashion and technology are so complex that things are less memorable, like a disposable society. It's as though everything's been done so lets look to the past. Time will tell on that one i guess. We can look back in twenty years and see if what's new now is 'classic' :?

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Superb original post and some nice thought provoking stuff in there.

My perspective is taken from standing back

The human race is best when things are at their worse, whatever era you live in there will always be difficulty, adversity, and terrible things.
What will always shine through is ....hope

So you can bet the new films will have that running through it, yep there will be set backs, there will be villains, and unfairness....but there will be hope

Going back on the previous points raised about progression, I feel technology in the world has brought awareness to people, and real time access to news, and disaster as it unfolds, which preys on the mind and gives a cloudy look on life. Some people consume themselves with worry for all of the bad things in the world, some people don't care at all

I for one, will try to do the right thing, always know that I can put my head on the pillow at night.....morals and principles,....again they will reflect in the new films

So I think we should look forward to a treat, some new twists, and to take them at face value, as a little piece of escapism where in the end good will triumph,

It will be great to see HF, CF, MH, in real time ageing, rather than starting with Obi Wan for example, then going backwards as the prequels did.
It will make more sense for a simple mind like mine ...can't wait...bring it on

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom