your favourite guitar solo ?

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Not sure if this has been done before? But here goes....been downloading music this evening to my ipod and thought, why not ask the question to my fellow forum members, so what is your favourite guitar solo of all time?

Mine is Hotel California by The Eagles. Classic song that I never get bored of listening to :D

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
Eagles! What a classic! Nice one

My choice

I worked for fender guitars about 20 years ago and became pretty good mates with the repair guys who would always play the same solo after they repaired a guitar which was.....

Sultans of swing -dire straits

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
pizzathehutt said:
Eagles! What a classic! Nice one

My choice

I worked for fender guitars about 20 years ago and became pretty good mates with the repair guys who would always play the same solo after they repaired a guitar which was.....

Sultans of swing -dire straits

WOW what a job :D Agree that Dire Straits songs are cool. Grew up listening to them, Rod Stewart, John Denver and Billy Joel as a kid, my late dad had the coolest hi fi system back in the day 8)

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
Great question, and a couple of great songs already listed...
I find it it difficult to pick just one but I always loved the solo in Killer Queen, by Queen, so at this precise moment in time I'll say that one :D

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
A couple of different ones!

Cult of Personality by Living Colour- Vernon Reid on guitar.

A Kinder Eye by Level 42

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Nita Nitro said:
poncho said:
comfortably numb - david gilmour live at albert hall with bowie as guest vocals! :eek:

Agreed...
Comfortably Numb is an amazing song all round, and the solo is fantastic :D

I love pink floyd, i agree that comfortably numb is a great track. My favourite floyd song has got to be the great gig in the sky.

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
I was in a pink floyd tribute band about 15 years ago, sang all the Roger waters bits and backing vocals, it was a lot of fun! Our first gig was in some dive of a pub in north London for this woman's 50th birthday party, this rough bunch arrived all in leather trousers and waistcoats that looked like they hadn't washed in weeks, we finished the show and they brought a cake out for her and sang happy birthday and then it got to the big present opening which we heard all this rough bunch had chipped in together to buy which was........
A samurai sword????? That was one bizarre day lol.

The band fell apart in the end mainly due to too many guitar playing egos

subzero

Sith Lord
Funny enough Hotel California probably became one of my favourite guitar solo's of all time through playing Guitar Hero years ago :lol: I was already familiar with the song but never paid attention to the solo until playing that game, probably because I never got the chance to sit through the entire song before until then so hadn't heard the solo before, it truly is a masterpiece of a solo.

My favourite guitar solo of all time in terms of nostalgia though has to be from an Oasis song, probably from either Don't look Back In Anger or Supersonic. They're more simple solo's in terms of how technical they are and certainly aren't masterpieces in that way, but I never got bored of listening to them for like 10 years straight because of how catchy and awesome they sounded, also the fact that I was completely Oasis mad when I was in school and wanted to be just like them definitely helped.

subzero

Sith Lord
pizzathehutt said:
I was in a pink floyd tribute band about 15 years ago, sang all the Roger waters bits and backing vocals, it was a lot of fun! Our first gig was in some dive of a pub in north London for this woman's 50th birthday party, this rough bunch arrived all in leather trousers and waistcoats that looked like they hadn't washed in weeks, we finished the show and they brought a cake out for her and sang happy birthday and then it got to the big present opening which we heard all this rough bunch had chipped in together to buy which was........
A samurai sword????? That was one bizarre day lol.

The band fell apart in the end mainly due to too many guitar playing egos

Well at least you got much further than I did, I put a 'band' together when I was 21 that got as far as me and my mate having jamming sessions in a hall we rented out twice a week, all we played was a handful of Oasis tunes and a couple of my own that I wrote, my mate played drums and I sang and played guitar, and after about 3 months of jamming we advertised for a lead guitarist in the paper and had a guy come to practice with us once..... and then we split up! :lol: :lol:

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Mine are:
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child of Mine (Slash)
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower (though Voodoo Chile Slight Return deserves mention for controlling a wall of noise Solo)
Metallica - Fade to Black (Kirk Hammett) - the intro and outros (which influenced the later Unforgiven track often sited as Metallica's best guitar solo)

Robstyley

Sith Lord
That's a tough question and I'd have to sit for a long time and listen to a lot of my music to come up with one 8) But a few favourites that spring to mind from my youth are: Guns n Roses - Nightrain, Pearl Jam - Why Go, Red Hot Chilli Peppers - My Lovely Man, Rage Against the Machine - Know Your Enemy. There's so many. Could easily put some Soundgarden or Metallica in. And that's without even thinking about all the 60's/70's stuff! :lol: Good thread.. I shall ponder this question.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Some great tracks and bands so far guys.
I'm going to throw a bit of a curveball here, what about guitar intros?
If these are included, then you must have Steve Jones intro to "Pretty Vacant" or for that matter "God save the Queen" towards the top of the list?

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
Some great tracks and bands so far guys.
I'm going to throw a bit of a curveball here, what about guitar intros?
If these are included, then you must have Steve Jones intro to "Pretty Vacant" or for that matter "God save the Queen" towards the top of the list?

Good thinking 8) there are some pretty good intros out there. Guns and Roses - Sweet child of mine :lol:

Some really good songs being bought up, that's what I love about this forum, everybody has a favourite something or other and it's interesting to share these.

Thanks guys :D

Crumm

Padawan
Not really a solo, more of a great riff/ intro...AC/DC Back in Black.

I will never tire of that song, such a simple riff but absolutely badass!

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
Paradise City has to get a mention in the awesome intros chat... it's such a good song and never fails to have me singing along and tapping my foot :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom