Your favourite underrated figure?

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
50947509251_9494f4f164_o.jpg

Walrusbumface

Youngling
Death Star Droid. Never had one as a kid but has become one of my favourites as a collector. Such a cool design, and chrome. The scene in the Jawa crawler with all the droids. It reminds me of that and my first magical viewings of A New Hope.
I like the predominantly purple colour both the Death Star Droid and Power Droid cards share. Really nice card art.

Never had either as a child, and never saw them in shops for sale back in the day.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Love the DSD. Was my first figure, along with R5. I remember opening it in the back of the car on the way home and being dismayed that the limbs wouldn't move! They eventually loosened up and now he can barely stand! The 20-bk Palitoy is a very special cardback.

Walrusbumface

Youngling
Love the DSD. Was my first figure, along with R5. I remember opening it in the back of the car on the way home and being dismayed that the limbs wouldn't move! They eventually loosened up and now he can barely stand! The 20-bk Palitoy is a very special cardback.
Lucky the two figures were never packaged with weapons. I never opened the figures in the car. I was terrified I'd lose the weapon(s). It was a painfully long drive home from the shops as a consequence.

My first action-figure was Luke Skywalker: X-Wing Pilot, on the STAR WARS card, in 1979 / 1980? Got him from K-Mart. I would stare at the card (especially the back) for hours. The image of Luke, in his bright orange flight suit, about to climb the yellow ladder, is a very fond childhood memory.

They really were beautifully designed packaging for the toys.

Clutters

Youngling
Squid Head. But there's a good argument for him NOT being underrated I guess, all that soft good-goodness. Mmm.

as for Prune Face - I agree - I bought him in a cut out damaged bubble a few years back, promptly opened him up and ...that plastic smell was amazing. Best vintage Kenner huff I'd had in years.

JNSWReprise

Youngling
Klaatu and Lando Skiff are good figures I have a soft spot for. When I was a kid back in 1983 you couldn't get them for ages and when they finally turned up in the shop I had to ask my dad to lend me a couple of quid to get them. How times change.

Lucky the two figures were never packaged with weapons. I never opened the figures in the car. I was terrified I'd lose the weapon(s). It was a painfully long drive home from the shops as a consequence.

My first action-figure was Luke Skywalker: X-Wing Pilot, on the STAR WARS card, in 1979 / 1980? Got him from K-Mart. I would stare at the card (especially the back) for hours. The image of Luke, in his bright orange flight suit, about to climb the yellow ladder, is a very fond childhood memory.

They really were beautifully designed packaging for the toys.
I never cared about the card as a child , I only kept one card so I can see which ones I still need , I would mark the back of the card off , the rest of the cards would last about 20 seconds as soon as I removed the figure from the bubble , who knows how many toltoys cards I've destroyed?

Walrusbumface

Youngling
I wasn't too excited about the figure when I bought him in '84, but now, as an adult, I've a new appreciation for the figure.

It's quite a detailed and accurate sculpt with a minimal paint scheme. A nice, chunky toy, too, with a decent sized rifle accessory.

Walrusbumface

Youngling
I never cared about the card as a child , I only kept one card so I can see which ones I still need , I would mark the back of the card off , the rest of the cards would last about 20 seconds as soon as I removed the figure from the bubble , who knows how many toltoys cards I've destroyed?
I loved the cards ALMOST as much as the figures.

I would compare the toy figure to the image on the card, to see how accurate the toy was. Most of the time it was pointless, as they were head-to-waist portraits, or airbrushed art. But, sometimes, you'd get a full image, like the X-WING PILOT card.

I also used to encircle the figures I owned with a pen. I stopped the practice as I got older. I wanted to keep the cards as mint as possible. Sadly, the cards would sooner or later get lost, traded or just torn up and thrown out. None of my childhood cards survived, all lost to time.

I did briefly consider keeping the figures sealed, but being so young at the time, I would inevitably rip them open. The Greedo action-figure looked just too good to not be played with.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom