Debenhams RIP

UKS

Jedi Knight
Today is the last day of Debenhams, a huge factor in my Star Wars collecting. Debenhams is where I bought my first Star Wars toys. IIRC it was Leia Bespin, Lobot, UgNaught and a Non-battle damaged X-Wing fighter.

Debenhams had a good toy department that was quite pricey, so I recall moving away from there when given the choice to get more. I remember they had a great Xmas grotto and decorations that (in the Bristol branch) really got you buzzed for Christmas! I met "Darth Vader" there and got his autograph, as well as an autograph of a "grey Wookiee". In the later eighties I recall them closing their toy department, or at least making it tiny and baby focussed, so I was focussed on many other stores.

The Bristol branch had some escalators running up the front of the store, as a child I found them terrifying - yet hugely exciting... then they opened the front of the store so now the escalators are giving you a view across broadmead, the concrete shopping centre at the heart of bristol.

I haven't been for years.. but I'm vaccinated, and I may pop down and see if I can ride those escalators one last time.

And stand where Darth Vader and that toy department once lived.

UKS

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Sad times.

Agree 100%. I met Vader there, got loads of my figures there and have happy memories browsing all the toy aisles. Can still remember the pegs full of MOC :(

Just remember one thing, we were lucky enough to live the early days and its something close to all our hearts. Those memories mean just as much as the toys we collect. The latter generations didnt have that excitment of a new space saga, we did. The digital age has banihsed those times to history. kids are more interested in buying stuff online than look at toys in person.

Lee

UKS

Jedi Knight
The top floors are shut, only a couple remain, with piles of junk scattered everywhere...

... except...

CE3519BC-D783-4FD1-853C-4EA7D322FEF1.jpeg

In the tiny toy department...

F99179F1-F03D-4DBD-9808-C22EF15FDB69.jpeg

I had to get it! 40 years ago I bought Leia... so we go full circle.

I think this (though I do not collect anything post 85!) this will go in my display cabinet.

Full circle? Closure? Or just a silly middle aged old man? All of them probably!

UKS

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Sad times indeed, I worked there one Xmas when I was a student, was a nice place to work. One of the top managers of the store came up to me to tell me my mum was making his wedding cake in a couple of months. He said it better be good or else lol.

Vernon

Jedi Knight
A great end to the story if you ask me. 8)

UKS said:
The top floors are shut, only a couple remain, with piles of junk scattered everywhere...

... except...

CE3519BC-D783-4FD1-853C-4EA7D322FEF1.jpeg

In the tiny toy department...

F99179F1-F03D-4DBD-9808-C22EF15FDB69.jpeg

I had to get it! 40 years ago I bought Leia... so we go full circle.

I think this (though I do not collect anything post 85!) this will go in my display cabinet.

Full circle? Closure? Or just a silly middle aged old man? All of them probably!

UKS

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
That's brilliant that you picked up a Leia... I would have definitely had to have grabbed something too. It is sad when these legacy stores disappear. I don't remember getting vintage figures from Debenhams but I'm sure I did get R2 and Threepio, from the POTF2 range, from there. They were a little dearer than other stores, but the figures were worth it, I felt :)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Sad times indeed, another import retail part of Star Wars collecting gone forever.

kingshearer

Jedi Master
We never had a Debenhams in Newcastle our main dept stores were Fenwicks (still going with much dimished toy dept, where I meet the Geordie Darth Vader in around 1983) , Bainbridges (Now John Lewis, had a small Star Wars selection) and Parishes (now student accomadation, which is in Byker and close to me and I got my first figure there which was 'Walrus Man' )
Happy days indeed.
The holy grail for me, would be to get a ship or carded figure with a 'Parishes' sticker on it.
I've got a 'Fenwicks' boxed 'Tie Fighter'.

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
I remember my Mum taking me and my brother to see Darth Vader in the Swindon store. She's been gone a few years now but it's these types of memories that I still cling onto. It was one of the most exciting times I've ever had meeting the Sith Lord. I also badgered my Mum for an Admiral Ackbar MOC. I still have the figure.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Sad times :(

I remember the Swindon store very well, don't think I bought any SW there though. Sounds like you have some brilliant memories, Simon 8)

UKS what a brilliant way to sign out! I would've done exactly the same.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom