Did anybody 'collect' first time round?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Like most, the second I got a figure or vehicle as a kid, the box/blister was ripped open, packaging thrown away, and within half an hour the weapons would be lost :lol: But did anybody here buy carded/boxed vehicles for display, and keep them that way? Even if you don't own the same ones any more?

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Have never heard of any kids doing that. Closest I've seen is cutting backdoors in the back of the card or cutting off tops of bubbles to remove the figures and keeping the packaging.

:)

Jason

Palifan

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Like most, the second I got a figure or vehicle as a kid, the box/blister was ripped open, packaging thrown away, and within half an hour the weapons would be lost :lol: But did anybody here buy carded/boxed vehicles for display, and keep them that way? Even if you don't own the same ones any more?

I've got a similar question and wondered if anyone out there has still got their figures from when they were a child? My question is a bit more specific though as I'm asking for anyone who had their figures from when they were released 1st in 78?
I'd really love to know what coo makings were on their Palitoy first 20.

I think I may have slightly highjacked this thread so sorry and also let me know if this fits in with your question or if you'd rather I start a new thread.

Cheers - Ian

PGowdy

Grand Master
I bought 100s of figures when i was a kid. From every line you could think of and a few you couldn't but i don't have a single thing left from back then. I left home at 17 and didn't take a thing with me. I think my old man threw everything out at some point or another.

Palifan

Sith Lord
PGowdy said:
I bought 100s of figures when i was a kid. From every line you could think of and a few you couldn't but i don't have a single thing left from back then. I left home at 17 and didn't take a thing with me. I think my old man threw everything out at some point or another.

I was the same although it was mainly all the first 20 and probably half ESB and a few Jedi ones, by that time I was about done with it. I had an empty box of ESB chewy sweets that I kept them in and sold them to my mates brother for a fiver, it even had a VC Jawa in it!
The only thing I've left from my childhood is a scrap book I made back in the day with empty empire lions made lolly wrappers and the 4 transfer sets cut out from the back of shreddies in it. There are some more interesting things in it as well as a nice Darth and Boba autograph from when they visited my childhood toy shop so it's a nice keepsake. I still keep asking my mates brother about those figures although he claims he can't remember what happened to them. I'm still living in the hope that one day he'll find them in his loft. I'd like to see them again mainly to know what their coo's are and what colour and version the blasters are......

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
If you're not certain they've gone Pete, it's worth having a dig some time! About 5 years ago I found a few of our old figures in the loft mixed in a box of old toy cars 8)

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Palifan said:
edd_jedi said:

I've got a similar question and wondered if anyone out there has still got their figures from when they were a child? My question is a bit more specific though as I'm asking for anyone who had their figures from when they were released 1st in 78?

I think I may have slightly highjacked this thread so sorry and also let me know if this fits in with your question or if you'd rather I start a new thread.

Cheers - Ian

I have the first 12 palitoy and landspeder from when I was a kid. They're mixed in with all the stuff I bought subsequently though.

Jason

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
I have all my figures from when I was young back in the 70's and 80's...but they are mixed in with everything I have bought since then. As far as packaging goes...I tore everything up...My mother however, used a few of the boxes to store Christmas decorations in.

Palifan

Sith Lord
mr_palitoy said:
Palifan said:
edd_jedi said:

Cheers - Ian

I have the first 12 palitoy and landspeder from when I was a kid. They're mixed in with all the stuff I bought subsequently though.

Jason

That's a real shame they're mixed in with your other ones, does that mean you have more than 1 farm boy Luke in the same box so you don't know which ones your original one?

Palifan

Sith Lord
tiefighterboy said:
I have all my figures from when I was young back in the 70's and 80's...but they are mixed in with everything I have bought since then. As far as packaging goes...I tore everything up...My mother however, used a few of the boxes to store Christmas decorations in.

It's a shame that knowledge is lost somewhere in with your other ones. I've read quite a lot recently about original coo's ect. and I know the Palitoy figures came from the states so there's no specific UK Palitoy coo as such (well maybe the later issued ones), but I'd still love to know which ones were sent here first. I feel it's something people who collect loose figures, who are putting together the ones they had back in the late 70's would like to know. I certainly would like to know about the first 20 for my own collection. As for the version/issue of weapons with these first ones it would be fairly easy to do if collectors with the first 20 MOC's could take close up pictures of the ones taped or in the hands of their figures.

Hope someone has the time to help out and also someone is out there with their childhood collection that they know which ones they are.

Joe

Grand Master
Told this story a 1000 times by now but ..

I was born in 84 so I never saw the toys or the movies till the 90's but my cousins on both sides of the family kept all their figures, one kept his in the loft and he always promised I could have them one day and the other had his on top of his wardrobe in a Rebel transport and occasionally took the lid off to show me and then put them all back again.

He always told me that they were worth a lot of money because he had the entire set of figures and many were rare (I remember seeing an Amanaman for sure!)

Anyways, I did get some figures from the cousin with figures in his loft and my sister found a Klaatu and a Logray in a chemists shop in the early 90's and I opened those, from then on I was pretty set on collecting them not really playing with them, my nostalgia is more about hunting them down than running around with them lol

I went to various bootsales and motorbike shows with my family and they always had stalls and stalls of toys and ships so I would always go home with something Star Wars and even then I knew what was vintage because my cousins had told me the years to look out for on the figures

After amassing a few figures and ships I remember playing with them and doing the "Wampa Kick" or setting up the AT-ATs in the garden a few times but like I said mostly it was a collecting kind of thing for me, even that young.

When I did finally watch the movies (after having the toys) I learned the characters names and of course loved the movies so much it went from there, once I was old enough to work and buy my own figures I had started collecting.

So thanks to my cousin that never let me touch his figures because they were rare

Due to the above I very much collected the figures in the 90's and was buying them knowing full well that although I did play with them they were not "toys" they were already collectors items by that time and I enjoyed the hunt even then in my Bart Simpson shorts and £5 pocket money :D

theslider

Sith Lord
I never kept any of the packaging from any of my original figures except for the card back, which I kept for some reason (probably to check figures) - these must still be in my parents house although I can't for the hell of it find them.

All my original figures I sold on eBay 10/11 years ago so I can't help you with the COO question Ian - possibly someone who does have the first 20 MOC can have a close look at their figures and maybe they can see the COO?

I'm interested to know whether weapons were held or taped on most early Palitoy figures, e.g. DR Pittenstein's Greedo he just sold showed the figure holding his weapon instead of having it taped down.

chazb73

Sith Lord
As with everyone else here, I opened them as soon as I got them, dismissing that cardboard backing and plastic bubble to the bin like an offensive barrier that kept me from those goodies!!

But I did start another collection when I was around 14, friends from school who had long forgotten these gems would, at my request would hunt in the the darkest areas of their bedroom for them to bring to me for free. I also eagerly snapped them up for 50p a time at the shops and the local market stalls :D

I opened them however and displayed them on a shelf in my room. As time went by I discovered girls and beer ect ect, and my Dad eventually gave them all away!!! :(

Palifan

Sith Lord
theslider said:
I never kept any of the packaging from any of my original figures except for the card back, which I kept for some reason (probably to check figures) - these must still be in my parents house although I can't for the hell of it find them.

All my original figures I sold on eBay 10/11 years ago so I can't help you with the COO question Ian - possibly someone who does have the first 20 MOC can have a close look at their figures and maybe they can see the COO?

I'm interested to know whether weapons were held or taped on most early Palitoy figures, e.g. DR Pittenstein's Greedo he just sold showed the figure holding his weapon instead of having it taped down.

From the first 20 Chewbacca, Stormtrooper, DSC, X-Wing Luke, Hammerhead, Greedo and Walrus man all had their weapons in their hands as did Luke, Darth and Ben's lightsabers. The only other loose weapon is the sand people, although not in their hand. It's funny I remember someone selling a Palitoy 12 back Sand People MOC which had a large bubble on it and their weapon taped to the inside of the extra wide bubble. I tried to tell them I didn't think it was real but they wouldn't listen!

As for the coo's, it'll be impossible to see them if they're sealed but I still hold out hope that someone out there still has there's loose.

Oh and I thought the Lando yesterday was a little unfair mate.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
I think I've got a grand total of 1 figure left from those I had from 78. Can't remember whether I'd left home but he was found in a box of Play Mobil. My Mum had already given away all my Action Man and SW figures :roll: and it looks like he was the only survivor.

Recently I bought a replacement Ben, just for the cloak and lightsaber!

The reason I started by saying 'I think it was mine' is that there is a chance he's somehow not (no idea how he got in with the other toys so dunno for sure) so I'm gonna be royally pissed if I now find out he isn't :lol:

The COO on him is:

Copyright G.M.F.G.I 1977
Hong Kong

Palifan

Sith Lord
chazb73 said:
As with everyone else here, I opened them as soon as I got them, dismissing that cardboard backing and plastic bubble to the bin like an offensive barrier that kept me from those goodies!!

But I did start another collection when I was around 14, friends from school who had long forgotten these gems would, at my request would hunt in the the darkest areas of their bedroom for them to bring to me for free. I also eagerly snapped them up for 50p a time at the shops and the local market stalls :D

I opened them however and displayed them on a shelf in my room. As time went by I discovered girls and beer ect ect, and my Dad eventually gave them all away!!! :(

It sounds like the same sad story that happened to most of us. I had a VC Jawa, which was the last of the first 12 I had. It's a shame I didn't keep that card back as I would have know if it came on a Palitoy card. They need to hurry up building a time machine! (probably more useful things to use it for though).

Palifan

Sith Lord
jedisearcher said:
I think I've got a grand total of 1 figure left from those I had from 78. Can't remember whether I'd left home but he was found in a box of Play Mobil. My Mum had already given away all my Action Man and SW figures :roll: and it looks like he was the only survivor.

Recently I bought a replacement Ben, just for the cloak and lightsaber!

The reason I started by saying 'I think it was mine' is that there is a chance he's somehow not (no idea how he got in with the other toys so dunno for sure) so I'm gonna be royally pissed if I now find out he isn't :lol:

The COO on him is:

Copyright G.M.F.G.I 1977
Hong Kong

That's good enough for me, one down (hopefully).

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
I would dare say any of them that have"G.M.F.G.I" are the first issue one as General Mills owned Kenner briefly at the start of the line...thus the General Mills Fun group.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Like most so far- all cards and boxes were destroyed and weapons lost within the first day (except Logray staff)

My loose collection is mostly made up of my childhood figures with weapons added in the 1990's.

If anyone saw my collection they would probably be suprised at the condition of some of my loose, but they were from my childhood and worth more than a AFA90 to me anyday.

Infact my most treasured 2 pieces are my first figure TIE Pilot that is worth anout £1 and my nicotine yellow Hoth Wampa that is worth about £1.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom