Palitoy ROTJ Prototypes?

Lee77

Sith Lord
I bought a ROTJ press release pack a couple of weeks back and had a bit of time to browse through it today. I noticed that there was a couple of pages relating to the upcoming series of Palitoy Jedi figures. The pictures are below.
They differ quite a lot from the ones that were eventually released. What are they? Hand sculpted, made up of other figures parts and painted or something else?
Have these ever surfaced in a collection like the ones from the 30 backs did or would they have been tossed in the bin by Palitoy or Kenner?
It'd be interesting to hear other peoples thoughts on these pretty cool looking items.

image-2_zps6156107f.jpg

image-2_zps77cbe53d.jpg

image-2_zpse10f5e30.jpg

tundra9

Sith Lord
Or at least touched up pics, but that's only my opinion, bet there are more knowledgeable guys here than me that can shed some light on this.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
These look like hand painted prototypes to me lee. The sculpts are different to the production figures. It could be that palitoy only had photos to go from when they made these for promotional purposes. I know Kenner were protective about sharing moulds etc as these were expensive. I have not seen any of these protos pop up for sale but they may be out there somewhere. Cool pics. Thanks for sharing!

Joe

Grand Master
tundra9 said:
They look like painted illustrations to me.

This was my first thought too although the Speeder biker pictured below the figures is this one: http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=55993 which is quite interesting to say the least.

The line up featuring the Gam Guard/Boushh/Lando Skiff etc all look to be illustrations yet the Luke Jedi/ERG Line up seems to show actual figures that were photographed with a few (Squidhead and Gen Madine) that again look illustrated.

Going to have a dig around the archive to see if this has been noticed before :) Good find Lee!

(moved this to vintage chat)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I've definitely seen the AT-ST and Speeder Bike photos before, but not those figures. Cool 8)

shawn_k

Sith Lord
Very cool find! The ERG immediately reminded me of the Playmix poster which also appears to be the source of the other images. All the poses seem to match up.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t915830/#post15423672

Joe

Grand Master
You are right Shawn the poses do match the poster, I wonder if these are just images of the same figures (Kenner Hardcopies/early pre prod examples) which were then heavily edited for the press release. There was definitely some tinkering going on with these and I am 100% certain it was not done to the actual hardcopies (as many of them still exist and are unaltered) so must have been done to the images only.

Vin3po

Jedi Knight
Those are some interesting pictures.

I have a strange feeling that bib looks like a Hardcopy i have seen although i could be incorrect.

Thanks for showing these.

Vince

Vin3po

Jedi Knight
Think i am incorrect,

Lee is Bibs eyes black ? they look it a bit but not 100% sure with the pic ?

Thanks

Vince

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom