Jedi_masters is running the London Marathon 2014

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Hey guys.

I have managed to snag a place with my charity to run in the London Marathon 2014. It has been a life long goal of mine to run in the marathon so I am humbled and grateful that they have given me the chance to do one of my personal goals.

The charity I raise money for is RAFT, they are a charity that fund research and help people with skin cancers, burns, amputations and any other skin abnormalities. I raised money for them for 'Movember' as well. This is the website if anybody wants to read up more on what they do.

http://www.raft.ac.uk/

Basically what I plan to do is the same as Chris last year. I am going to hold a comp for all to guess what time I will finish in. I am hoping to get a few prizes put together in return for sponsorship. I need to raise £2500 so all your help will be much appreciated. I will update this thread nearer the time with prize's up for offer and an update of how my running is going to hopefully give you an idea of the time I might be able to run the marathon in.

PRIZES FOR COMPETITION

I think I will open the comp in the new year but to get as many peoples interest as possible I will put up picture's of prize's as and when I get them. So first up, we have a fantastic painting by Martin, one of three that will be up.

So far I am up to 8.2 miles with no stopping. That is taking me around 1hr 20 minutes at the moment. I haven't run for over a year and am a bit of a lard arse so I am pleased with my progress so far. When I first ran 9 weeks ago I ran just over a mile with 3 stops!!!!!

Please, help me as much as you can, even if it is only a few £'s. It all adds up. This is my just giving page.

http://www.justgiving.com/Chris-Mann2

Cheers everyone

Chris

andy x-wing pilot

Jedi Knight
Hi chris,
Great result, its always been one of goals too. Dont think I will do though as ive turnt into a bit of a fat bastard.
I would help u out and chuck you a prize for your comp nearer the time.
Thanks andy

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Cheers Andy that would be great, will PM you in the new year. 8)

Couple of awesome prizes already sorted!!!! I know its not until next April but want to be organised!!!

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Little update.

Running 4 miles now, no stopping in 35 mins. Looking at upping to 6 miles over the next week or so.

6 prizes are now in the pot, some of them are awesome. Will update with pics as soon as I have them.

CRAZYHAZY

Jedi Master
Good one mate. Keep going . Its a long slog and the training is very lonely at times but well worth it. Invest in a good gps watch. A garmain is a cool one . Best training partner i have ever had.

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks or the advice Crazy, funnily enough I was talking to my wife and mum about getting a decent GPS watch, their eyes went :shock: when I said they can be anything from £100 upwards!!

CRAZYHAZY

Jedi Master
Yeah they are a fare packet. Lots of apps for your mobile and free.
Running is bloody great i love it . Try and get out a d do some trail running and get off the tarmac. Great for getting those legs strong and less likely to get injuries. Grant will vouch for that.

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Just read this thread Chris.

Great news mate :D

I will put up a prize to. The more the merrier.

I am in the ballot this year (the fund raising is harder than the race) so there is a slim chance I will be chasing you down.

Let us know when your just giving page is up so we can keep track of how its going.

All the best :D

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Hey Chris.

Will Pm you.

Added my justgiving page to the first thread. Donate away. Competition will start in the new year, prob a month before the marathon. Will be doing the same as Chris in that you donate and guess what time I will finish. So far there are 7 prizes I think so the top 7 closest will win a pize. Due to what prize's I have I am thinking at setting a minimum donation of £5. If this is unreasonable please tell me.

Will keep this thread updated with my training progress. :D

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
Hey Chris

Best of luck, sounds like your off to a good start. If anything I can say to give you advice it would be try and incorporate some hill running into your training. Great for keeping your legs strong late in the marathon

As crazy hazy said, invest in a good GPS watch, I have the Garmin Forerunner and it's invaluable, training wise. I know they are pricey but it's worth it, 100%. I know there are apps out there but they are no comparison to a Garmin. That's my experience anyway (2 Full and 7 halfs)

Great idea for a competition, will keep an eye on the training then stick in a guess 8)

All the best, Jeff

Jez

Sith Lord
Great work MODs for allowing this to be a sticky.

Chris, we are with you all the way mate. It sounds like there are plenty of us with running experience to motivate you and inundate you with tips. I'll go for a run with you when you visit for MK if you like. :)
The forerunner is an excellent tool i have the 405 CX, its a great motivator, def worth the cash. My wife bought it for me for Xmas a few years back when it was nearly half price on Amazon, keep your eyes out.
I'll see if i can sign one out at the work gym tomorrow, if so i'll lend you mine until the race?

Mate, best of luck. Its a great charity. I'll be sure to sponsor you when its payday!

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Guys, thanks very much for all the kind words and motivation. It really does help.

Jeff, where I live it all hills, the first mile I run in my loop at the moment is a hill, then a flat bit, then another hill!!! But I know what you mean, got some lovely steep hills near me as well so will be giving them a go soon.

Jez, will PM you tomorrow as I was going to speak to you about a run at yours when we're up for MK. Be great to keep the routine up and be nice to run with someone else. Very kind offer of the watch as well, thank you. Speak to you tomorrow.

Another run planned tomorrow, hopefully will increase from 4 miles. Have to plan a route in the morning.

Rebel_Runner

Jedi Master
Nice one Chris, VLM is on my to do list but is a sod to get into.

Ill happily sponsor you nearer the time.

Some good tips from the guys on here. You should defo incorporate some hill sets into your training plan and a GPS watch is very handy for both training and race day. You can probably pick up a Garmin 205 for under £100 and should be adequate for what your doing.

If you need any help with your traing plan drop us a PM I'd gladly help you out (I ain't no pro coach though just a fun runner) one tip don't up the mileage too much too soon.

There's no such thing a junk miles, so run when you can....and often.

Dave

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Small update.

Upped distance to 5.5 miles tonight from 4 without stopping which I am really pleased with. Did it in about 55 mins. Hoping to round it up to 6 on Wednesday with a little tweek to my loop and will run that for the next week or so.

Have also had a little peek at on of the prize's which is being created at the moment. Looking good, very excited about it.

Chris

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom