Sold Modern Collection: Reassurance Needed!

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
I've got rid of virtually all my 90's MOC Episode I, POTF2, figures/vehicles etc. on Fleabay, to help fund my revived interest in all things Vintage.
The stuff had zero sentimental value and I was quite happy to part with it all.

The trouble is I've started to get this nagging fear that all this modern crap will suddenly shoot up in value at some point. And I've sold the bleedin' lot!
I know it's too late now, but can someone please reassure this troubled mind that all this stuff will be worth f*ck all in the future.

Cheers

plantman

Sith Lord
ill assure you it will never reach the heights of vintage...ever.

there is a couple of odd POTF2 bits that command a premium like the fetts with no emblems ect, but the majority of that stuff gets opened for the kids to play with.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Rest easy buddy, modern will never go the way of vintage, don't look back just look forward to all of the vintage SW you can now collect.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
That's good to hear.

I've kept back a couple of the allegedly rarer items, but I think those will go eventually.

Now, all I need is for Palitoy MOC prices to take a nose-dive, so I can actually afford something ;)

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Twin30mm said:
That's good to hear.

I've kept back a couple of the allegedly rarer items, but I think those will go eventually.

Now, all I need is for Palitoy MOC prices to take a nose-dive, so I can actually afford something ;)

Don't we all :D

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
One thing you really have to bear in mind is when the vintage line came out virtually nobody collected toys. They were something you gave to your kids to play with. Not many people were really buying them to collect. They were produced in huge quantity, but used for purpose, that is to play with.

Fast forward to the nineties. Collectable toys is big business. There is an existing army of grown up star wars fans wanting to collect as well as people who collected action figures in general. There were virtually no comic/toy shops back in the day, but in the 90's pre internet there were loads of these little comic shops that sold this stuff. Huge numbers of the modern figures were brought to collect.

Vintage stuff is valuable because of supply versus demand. Demand greatly outweighs supply. That will never be the case for modern as the amount kept back for collecting purposes is vast compared to the amount of vintage kept for collecting. Supply will always outweigh demand, keeping the prices low.

Vintage star wars is not rare. Its in households everywhere. Most people of a certain generation have some. Its stuff that has not been opened, played with or destroyed that is hard to get. What volume of vintage star wars do you think ended up in the bin.

Also, another thing worth considering about vintage figures, they never once released a limited edition collectable one of 50000 type figure. The stuff became collectable by itself, without needing to be made collectable.

I think you should be able to sleep tonight ;)

PGowdy

Grand Master
Because of 78-84 vintage "modern" will never be vintage. It will always have real vintage there reminding it, and everybody else, that it's "modern".
Little to no value increase in the next 20 years or so. Even thereafter.

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Twin30mm said:
That's good to hear.

I did a similar thing and was happy to get rid due to, like you, no affinity or affection for the items. All I kept was my partially (but now fully complete) Episode 1 carded figures, a small set of Guerre Stellari POTF2 figs - which I dont see very often and figures which I really like (ephant Mon, Dagobah vader/luke, luke bespin duel, luke bacta tank). Even if they did go up in value, it wouldnt bother me that much but I'd be amazed due to the sheer huge amount of them. Maybe a complete collection could be worth a few quid in time..

Heres the Han Solo Guerre Stellari, anyone got any of these? Sure they are worth fook all but I hung onto them due to the italian-ness of the whole thing..

DSC_0308-small.jpg

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
naughtyjedi said:
Twin30mm said:
That's good to hear.

I did a similar thing and was happy to get rid due to, like you, no affinity or affection for the items. All I kept was my partially (but now fully complete) Episode 1 carded figures, a small set of Guerre Stellari POTF2 figs - which I dont see very often and figures which I really like (ephant Mon, Dagobah vader/luke, luke bespin duel, luke bacta tank). Even if they did go up in value, it wouldnt bother me that much but I'd be amazed due to the sheer huge amount of them. Maybe a complete collection could be worth a few quid in time..

Heres the Han Solo Guerre Stellari, anyone got any of these? Sure they are worth fook all but I hung onto them due to the italian-ness of the whole thing..

I own one of those and also love that card.

I agree with many points in this thread but their are a select group of POTF2 era items that do sell for mega bucks and continue to grow in value. Those being a POTF Freeze Frame Weequay selling for $500 ++ and a POTF Freeze Frame Sandtrooper selling at around $150-$250.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
I dread to think how much money I lost buying that modern stuff, due to the depreciation over the years.
Nine times out of ten, it went straight in the loft and never saw the light of day. Just bought for the sake of it.

That guy in Global Collectables Bristol made a bloody fortune out of me :evil:

Wish I had the sense to concentrate on vintage. Just the nostalgic value makes it priceless.

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Twin30mm said:
I dread to think how much money I lost buying that modern stuff, due to the depreciation over the years.
Nine times out of ten, it went straight in the loft and never saw the light of day. Just bought for the sake of it.

Wish I had the sense to concentrate on vintage. Just the nostalgic value makes it priceless.

Did you do it for fun, or finance?

Myself and my boss at the time travelled around europe and we had great fun hunting down anything star wars we could find and shipping it back (although technically a lot was bought on expenses... ;P ). I used to travel to Blois in france, and various german sites and on the way any supermarket got raided for stuff. Happy times and I used to laugh as the supermache personnel would take the piss as I ran into the store in my labcoat and out again quickly with a bunch of carded figures.

The most bizarre thing I picked up was this..
105254833-450x450-0-0_Hasbro+Star+Wars+Naboo+Fighter+with+Mini+Figures+G.jpg

Anyone got one?

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
naughtyjedi said:
Twin30mm said:

Myself and my boss at the time travelled around europe and we had great fun hunting down anything star wars we could find and shipping it back (although technically a lot was bought on expenses... ;P ). I used to travel to Blois in france, and various german sites and on the way any supermarket got raided for stuff. Happy times and I used to laugh as the supermache personnel would take the piss as I ran into the store in my labcoat and out again quickly with a bunch of carded figures.

Anyone got one?

Nice item their pete. Seen one of those in the 2005 price guide but that is the first time I have actually seen one.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
naughtyjedi said:
Twin30mm said:

Anyone got one?

Just for fun, really.
Too much disposable income at the time, unfortunately.
It got to the point where I was on first name terms with the Toys r Us staff :)

x-pack

Grand Master
Vintage Star Wars toys only depreciated for a few years after all the lines stopped production. The Prequel era/mid 90's items have been depreciating for give or take 20 years! I have a feeling that we'll all be dead before prices rise

SOJ

Sith Lord
Twin30mm said:

I've a similar story to yours, I already had a loose run of vintage but decided sell off all my modern not long after Xmas except I prolonged the pain and did it piece by piece on eBay.

I think in terms of hasbro figures I've got 4 or so left and a Potf2 tie fighter. Everything else is gone and cash converted into vintage. I've upgrade lots of loose figures, cleared out a few repos and purchased 30 odd MOC's.

As well as being very nostalgic for the stuff, I like that it's very much defined in terms of what is out there.

Getting hit by wave after wave of black series with no end in sight is not at all appealing, especially when most of it doesn't even show up in UK stores.

If you love vintage you've definitely done the right thing. Unless it's a Boba Fett it'll never increase in value like the vintage.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
SonOfJango said:
Twin30mm said:

I've a similar story to yours, I already had a loose run of vintage but decided sell off all my modern not long after Xmas except I prolonged the pain and did it piece by piece on eBay.

I think in terms of hasbro figures I've got 4 or so left and a Potf2 tie fighter. Everything else is gone and cash converted into vintage. I've upgrade lots of loose figures, cleared out a few repos and purchased 30 odd MOC's.

As well as being very nostalgic for the stuff, I like that it's very much defined in terms of what is out there.

Getting hit by wave after wave of black series with no end in sight is not at all appealing, especially when most of it doesn't even show up in UK stores.

If you love vintage you've definitely done the right thing. Unless it's a Boba Fett it'll never increase in value like the vintage.

You've hit the nail on the head there SoJ.
I think it got to a point where I thought "They're taking the piss now!". Releasing the same figures with miniscule variations (Chewbacca in Chains, anyone?). It seemed never ending.

I called it a day around the time of the Power of the Jedi range and started to collect loose vintage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom