R2-D2 prototype

OTB Records

Padawan
Hi all,

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section. I have also posted about this R2-D2 prototype on other forums etc.

Shown here is a solid, heavy, small (approx. 4.5 inches high) model of R2-D2 that I purchased about 20 years ago.

1_zps4aa93fd1.jpg

3_zps2a9b84f2.jpg

I have been doing research into the R2-D2 figure I own. I have spoken to a number of people who had involvement with this piece in the 1970s. From the information I have been given the likelihood is that this model was originally made as some kind of mock up or scenario model for R2-D2 in advance of filming the first Star Wars film. Once it had served its purpose the model found its way to Cliro Perfumeries who used it as a master for their intended bubble bath container.

I still have a few more people to talk to but based on all the verbal and written info I have been given the above is as close to the origins of the model that I can find.

I would be appreciative of any input from members of this forum regrading this model.

Thanks in advance.

All the best

Kevin

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Interesting haven't got a clue what is though.

Just wandering, is it for sale?

OTB Records

Padawan
theforceuk said:
Interesting haven't got a clue what is though.

Just wandering, is it for sale?

Thanks for the interest. At this moment I have no intention of selling the model. Currently I am trying to confirm the pieces provenance. I did have it valued by Christie's back in 1998 and they placed an estimate of £5,000 on it.

It's value is important for insurance purposes but it provenance and true purpose is what I am more interested in right now.

Jez

Sith Lord
Hi Kevin.
Really interesting story. Do you have any paperwork for this figure?

OTB Records

Padawan
Jez said:
Hi Kevin.
Really interesting story. Do you have any paperwork for this figure?

Yes quite a bit of paperwork. It appeared on a BBC Antique TV programme here in the UK back in 1998 and this created a lot of interest from which I managed to get in touch with people who had knowledge about the piece especially from the 1970s. I have letters etc. from these people. Also when I purchased the model it came with a letter of provenance mentioning its connection with the filming of the first Star Wars film.

OTB Records

Padawan
It wasn't until a few years back that I decided to get round to doing some more research into the model especially through Star Wars forums etc. Collectors pointed me in the direction of the Cliro bubble bath container manufactured in 1977. At this point I thought that the mystery had been solved and that it was a preproduction model for the bubble bath container. However, I then did a bit more research based on the original letter that came with the model and it has now turned out that the model had a life before it reached Cliro.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Hello Kevin,

This is well interesting, I like this kind of story. What a great piece! I don't know definitively what this is but it looks to me like a master mould/ mould maker for making a female mould to make a product exactly the same shape as this R2 model. It's made of solid steel yeah? The fact the area between the legs is filled in fits with it being for a bottle or even a soap. What's underneath? Is there a hole?
I've got another theory that might interest you and fits with what you've been told about it being used in the film production. When they made the Star Wars films they made various sized models of each spaceship for filming, from tiny ones a few inches long to huge 5 foot + ones. The X-Wing and Y-Wing carry an astromech droid and no doubt R2 is in other scenes involving the Mellenium Falcon etc. Maybe it's in scale with one of those models and was used in filming or for scaling purposes? Just an idea but it's possible.

Andy

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Mate- not sure about the £5000 valuation as there have never been any other Cliro prototypes that have come up for sale and highly desired Star Wars toy prototypes come up for less.

Good luck with it though- its a great piece and hope you get it insured for £5000.

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
All you need to know...

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1100835/

alue seems around the £1000 mark and according to this its a hardcopy for bubblebath

OTB Records

Padawan
PIGCITY said:
All you need to know...

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1100835/

alue seems around the £1000 mark and according to this its a hardcopy for bubblebath

Sorry - there seems to be a misunderstanding. The thread on Rebelscum was started by me. This is where the Cliro connection came from. The model I have is definitely connected with the Cliro bubble bath container but it does seem to have had a life before this which is what I am now trying to uncover. The original paperwork that came with the model stated it was used in the production process of making the first Star Wars film. I have also spoken to people connected with Cliro and their merchants and they have told me that it originally came from America and then ended up with Cliro.

From all the info I have at the moment it seems likely that this was made in America for use in some way with the production of Star Wars Episode IV back in the 1970s. It then found its way over to the UK and in particular Cliro Perfumeries where it might have been used as a master to form their bubble bath container from. There are subtle differences in the model I own and the final Cliro bubble bath container which makes me think that this isn't a Cliro production model.

OTB Records

Padawan
Grant_C said:
Mate- not sure about the £5000 valuation as there have never been any other Cliro prototypes that have come up for sale and highly desired Star Wars toy prototypes come up for less.

Good luck with it though- its a great piece and hope you get it insured for £5000.

The £5,000 estimate was given by Christie's auction house in Kensington London back in 1998 and was based on it being a scenario model for the first Star Wars film. This is what Christie's thought it was.

OTB Records

Padawan
Robstyley said:
Hello Kevin,

This is well interesting, I like this kind of story. What a great piece! I don't know definitively what this is but it looks to me like a master mould/ mould maker for making a female mould to make a product exactly the same shape as this R2 model. It's made of solid steel yeah? The fact the area between the legs is filled in fits with it being for a bottle or even a soap. What's underneath? Is there a hole?
I've got another theory that might interest you and fits with what you've been told about it being used in the film production. When they made the Star Wars films they made various sized models of each spaceship for filming, from tiny ones a few inches long to huge 5 foot + ones. The X-Wing and Y-Wing carry an astromech droid and no doubt R2 is in other scenes involving the Mellenium Falcon etc. Maybe it's in scale with one of those models and was used in filming or for scaling purposes? Just an idea but it's possible.

Andy

Hi Andy and thanks for your post. It's not made of steel but a heavy resin-type material. Here is a picture of the base.

4_zpsec7013f4.jpg

fuzzybuzzytoys

Sith Lord
Can you scan the letters which show evidence of it being previously used as a prop? Or at least give names of those who have told you this is/maybe the case?

OTB Records

Padawan
fuzzybuzzytoys said:
Can you scan the letters which show evidence of it being previously used as a prop? Or at least give names of those who have told you this is/maybe the case?

Too many documents etc. to scan as I have spoken to so many people attached to Cliro, their merchants and Star Wars.

However, there is one name that keeps getting mentioned and seems to be one of the main links with Star Wars. His name is Graham (Graeme?) Blundell. I'm not sure on the exact spelling of the name.

I'm reluctant to post direct copies of written provenance at this moment due the identity/privacy of those involved.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
That's completely thrown me. I thought it was steel because the resin is grey/silver and where the paint has worn off it looks like metal underneath. Yeah definitely resin, because of all the little bubble holes. I don't think it's a master for making a plastic R2D2 product, tooling for that is made from steel or other metal alloys. Prob is a prototype of something. I really want it to be a scale model used in the making of Episode IV. Good luck with it, I hope you find out what it is and who made it. Someone knows!

Andy

OTB Records

Padawan
Thanks Andy for the reply and your input. It is a very puzzling item and I would love to find out its true purpose and origin. To me it looks like some kind of maquette. It would be fantastic to confirm what I am being told that it is a preproduction model (or maquette) for Episode IV.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom