Luke's yellow saber

spoons

Grand Master
Just watched SW for first time in a long time and surprised to see that Luke's saber is yellowish when he fights the remote - even in the special edition

Could this be why the Kenner error was made, and did Retroblasters pick up on this? A while since I watched that video, but really liked the Ben/Luke swap theory as all the Ben card artwork shows a yellow saber, and the 12" is the other way round

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I thought it looked more white than yellow in the origional release. Also why did they keep it yellow for Luke Bespin and then get it wrong for Luke Jedi and bother correcting it? :?

You might have a point though. :)

spoons

Grand Master
Robstyley said:
Remember this is the same company that got 4-Lom and Zukuss mixed up!? I don't reckon they were overly concerned with saber colour :lol:

Very true :lol:
theforceuk said:
I thought it looked more white than yellow in the origional release. Also why did they keep it yellow for Luke Bespin and then get it wrong for Luke Jedi and bother correcting it? :?

You might have a point though. :)

I thought the whiteness was down to colour fading on the film - the special edition is yellower. But just a thought and we'll never know :)

Luke Bespin is a good point too

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
No good point, but the blue saber switching to green is odd as they got the wrong colour for the previous two films and didn't bother correcting it.

I know Lucas changed the sabre colour from blue to green because it didn't stand out very well against the blue sky in the sarlac battle.

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
spoons said:
Just watched SW for first time in a long time and surprised to see that Luke's saber is yellowish when he fights the remote - even in the special edition

Could this be why the Kenner error was made, and did Retroblasters pick up on this? A while since I watched that video, but really liked the Ben/Luke swap theory as all the Ben card artwork shows a yellow saber, and the 12" is the other way round

Yeah its a good theory they put forward, here's the vid here:-

[youtube]gPQvRahIzis[/youtube]

As you say spoons, why not correct it for Luke Bespin? Ok, they buggered it up for the 1st movie Luke but keeping it for the second when they redesigned the sabre anyway!? In the duel with Vader at the end of Empire, the sabres are obviously blue and red and was an iconic image of that film. :roll:
Seems such an oversight. As a kid we all accepted 4LOM/Zuckuss as we didn't know any better but we knew instantly that a yellow sabre was incorrect. I'd love to hear the explanation from the Kenner designer that made that call! :lol:

nohandluke

Padawan
Plus, depending on which transfer of the Special Edition you're watching, Luke's saber is all over the place color-wise. In the 1977 version, when Luke is fighting the remote, it looks white. In the 1997 SE Laserdisc, the 1997 SE clearly pushed the color toward green. The DVD wasn't any better. While I never purchased the Blu-Ray, sounds like it's looking yellow these days.

This is why I just watch Adywan's Star Wars: Revisited. Clean, polished, consistent.

nohandluke

Padawan
image.jpg

shawn_k

Sith Lord
I hope that someday an answer will be found on the yellow saber thing. The only theory that seems to make the most sense was to add variety.

theforceuk said:
No good point, but the blue saber switching to green is odd as they got the wrong colour for the previous two films and didn't bother correcting it.

I know Lucas changed the sabre colour from blue to green because it didn't stand out very well against the blue sky in the sarlac battle.

Out of the 3 overseas factories that produced the LJ figure, the blue saber only comes from one. I think they had already gone into production to have product ready for the release before the change was officially made. By the time the other two factories began their production they had the information that it should be green. My assumption is that they even had packaged product ready to go where the blue saber can be found on all 3 US 65 backs and several foreign cards, so it wasn't cost effective to open them all up, change the saber, and repackage them.

It is interesting though that for Jedi they seemed to want to make sure it was right.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom