Factory errors

OTB Records

Padawan
I've seen a number of factory error MoC figures - missing an accessory or two etc. - being sold on eBay. Many of these seem to sell for crazy money. Are they worth these prices and do collectors pay a premium for these factory errors?

Joe

Grand Master
Hey Kevin,

Do you have any examples (especially high priced ones?). I don't look for them any more but can't remember anything going for crazy money (not counting sellers ridiculous asking prices of course).

People do find errors interesting and will pay a reasonable premium for them from what I've seen but I've never seen anyone go over the top. Kenner errors are quite "rare" in the sense that you don't see them often because QC was pretty good so I can see why they have a bit more appeal. Trilogo errors are pretty common in comparison and usually an incorrect weapon, too many weapons or even a missing weapon is just considered quirky.

OTB Records

Padawan
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1984-STAR-WARS-LUKE-SKYWALKER-JEDI-KNIGHT-FACTORY-VARIANT-AFA-GRADED-80-NM-/121589212335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4f4824af

itfciain

Grand Master
I think that is an example of people 'thinking' they are worth a lot more - there is a Han Carbonite knocking around with 2 coins somewhere that the seller is asking daft money for it

I think factory errors are a little more desirable - especially for focus collectors - I personally look out for them and pick them up where possible - just got an Ackbar packed with the figure facing backwards - but having said that I, and most others won't pay daft prices for them

poncho

Grand Master
Theres a luke jedi graded with two blasters in which has been for sale for years on ebay and the guy wants silly money for :roll:

walkie

Sith Lord
From past experience I've always found these 'error' figures have limited appeal. Focus collectors and the odd collector that's collectors errors, but outside those circles normal collectors would rather pay top dollar for mint condition figures for there collection.

All this from the guy with the only know factory error vlix!!

Jez

Sith Lord
I'd love to own a decent factory error/miscard. Having a missing gun wouldn't really do anything for me, I once owned an Emperor baggie with 2 canes, so i offered it as a straight swap to Frank as i knew he'd appreciate it more. But a decent character mismatch would be sweet.
Whilst that Luke Jedi claims to have no saber or gun, it might be tucked inside his cape? Little bit of collecting madness going on there.

Joe

Grand Master
OTB Records said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1984-STAR-WARS-LUKE-SKYWALKER-JEDI-KNIGHT-FACTORY-VARIANT-AFA-GRADED-80-NM-/121589212335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4f4824af

Ah ok, well that's a perfect example of a silly asking price and unless it sells for that amount the seller is just dreaming. Iain's correct about that Han Carbonite with 3 coins also, I'm pretty sure the seller wanted an equally ridiculous amount for it and it sat on eBay for years (might still be on there).

I've had 3 interesting factory errors in my collection, one carded and two loose. The carded one cost me £25, one of the loose ones was about the same kind of price and the 3rd was given to me for free - not exactly worth thousands of pounds :lol:

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I've seen the odd factory error MOC and people do seem to make a point of it and sometimes think it justifies a much higher price. There was a Leia 12 back for sale with the wrong coloured footplate and he wanted 3 large for it which by my reckoning was well over twice the price of a normal one. Doesn't float my boat personally. A miscarded figure is a bit more interesting. I also see a fair few loose factory error figures usually with a part not painted that should be but I sometimes wonder if it's legit or been made or tampered with to be that way for more money? I think they're cool but I don't think they're worth more.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Factory errors and miscards are yet another avenue to sate the collecting bug, and as always that's great if you as an individual want to extend a focus,

but the daft prices are like everything else, just the greed of quick buck sellers.

Might be an answer to the recent thread on C10

I.e. " It's not a c10 as it has a small spot of paint on the neck of the figure, but that makes it a factory error piece that is really rare" :D

Got to admit though I am a fan of miscards.

boba76

Padawan
I have a 20 back power droid with a Han solo blaster in the bubble. I really like that fact it has this factory error.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
benny100 said:
I really like the Luke farmboy that's you often see on the gunner card with a Luke Bespin sabre.

Wow that sounds like a cool factory error. :shock:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom