Vectis - The Honest Truth

Richard_H

Grand Master
Ok guys I've just returned from Vectis and spent a bit of time with Kathy and two other auctioneers/valuers. This is my honest report of how things are: (before I forget I've collected everything people have asked for :D )

Vectis is huge. There are lots of open spaces which are filled wall to wall to ceiling with boxes. I've seen the Beeches stuff. 125 large pallets of items. Star Wars is a tiny drop in the ocean when you see the size of the place, saying that there are enough items there to plan for auctions on a bi-monthly basis to the end of 2016 probably beyond sitting there now.

Vecits is a business, although some of the people working for vectis are collectors, just like us, and are doing their best. Circumstances beyond their control can dictate when to put items out to market but they are obviously aware that offloading too much of any one type of stock can result in lower sales and collectors running out of cash for items they'd like to buy for their collections. From conversations with Kathy and her team it is clear that they enjoy items going to collectors who will display and document over the blackhole collections. Also, they cannot be experts on every different line. They learn, research and do their best and like us are discovering new things frequently.

They have collectors from all genres, SW, action man, dolls, cars, diecast it goes on and on. There is no SW dedicated area or team. As much as we may want to see all of this stuff it is not going to take priority over anything else that's there. Items are on pallets until they are opened systematically and in order particular order. Customers from other toy lines are equally keen.

The toys are valued by auctioneers. They may or may not be collectors just like us. They appraise the items based on what they realistically think it will sell for based on previous sales. However, if a customer is selling an item and it fetched £3k at a previous auction the seller often demands for the estimate/reserve to be set higher than vectis would like. This can be why estimates appear high. Estimates are started at 60% of expected sale (I think that was right).

With regards to bidding. for the next auction approx. 1/3 of the stuff is sold already. This means that it has met the reserve/estimate. You can bid on these items now through the vectis website or use live internet (invaluable.com), telephone or in person bidding. All bids, except for those from invaluable are recorded as floor bidders as their system can't differentiate between bids easily. If using invaluable the fees are 25% although they don't charge the 2% credit card fee that vectis do.

Although vectis admit they messed up with a recent auction the vast majority of internet problems are Java related. They recommend that you update Java every month. The day before the auction they suggest you test the website to ensure there are no Java issues. Don't log in just before the live auction and expect everything to work if Java is not up to date.

With regards to why some people were told they'd lost bids and then found they'd won them. The are a lot of people bidding online. In the last auction they had people say they'd pressed the wrong button, wrong amount etc etc and therefore the item goes to the next high bidder once Vectis is informed. this obviously is an issue and vectis have had this happen to them days after an auction has ended. It is beyond their control and a fault of the bidder.

There are Palitoy 12 backs coming up for sale except Jawa. I saw lots of ROTJ MOCS, ESB, tri logo. The trilogo Yak signed by Sean Crawford is coming back up FS. There was a brown hair tri logo farmboy.

I asked to see the Han Hoths and Biker Scouts/Leias I was asked about. The place is so huge getting to these items are difficult. If you want photos then ask Vectis and also they'll be more than happy to answer questions. Off the top of their heads the Hans are 65bks.

The reason why lots of grouped together is because the commission on a low price cardback could be as little as £3. That is not worth their time. This is also the reason why they don't take multiple photos from angles for the website. If you want them then just ask.

The shipping crates look in fantastic condition. They have had collectors asking if they pick up boxes and shake them to see how the contents are. They will not do this for obvious reasons. They believe that if boxes are sealed then if there's no evidence to suggest otherwise then it is factory sealed. Some seals can deteriorate as Beeches in particular was damp. Vectis is warm. They are doing their best to describe everything as accurately as possible.

They'd asked that if anyone has questions then ask them. They are happy to help and will do all they can. They are not out to shaft any collector/buyer/seller. They want people to have a good experience and to come back to them. They have many customers who sell back to Vectis, then rebuy etc and they enjoy the relationships with them.

If I think of anything more I'll add to it.

Cheers
Rich

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Great post Rich, thanks.

As someone who has now experienced a Vectis auction first hand I have to say I don't have any complaints as yet. Just the opposite, everytime I spoke to someone or asked for something the response was great.

I hope I can report back once I've received my item that the whole thing from start to finish was professional and well handled.

x-pack

Grand Master
I know people have probably asked this before but is the process of buying online and having stuff mailed to you easy enough? ! heard there was a wait for mailing but am not too concerned about that.

Mr. Bob A. Feet

Jedi Knight
Good read and will be at the next one, just good news there's plenty of stock floating about now and with any luck the prices will fall off a little! :roll:

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
Thanks mate a cracking read. I do think this toy shop is probably one of the most significant finds in toy collecting history and we'll only appreciate how amazing it is in 5 years time. I've a new contact who says her husband and two others are currently clearing out the stuff Vectis didn't want and there's still amazing stuff left. Not Star Wars though. Vectis got all of that.

talldroid77

Padawan
Richard_H said:
Thanks guys. I really can't stress how helpful they are. If you problems/concerns/questions just contact them.

Yes I would second that. I went to Vectis today got chatting and was shown round. The OP's description of how much stuff is there right - pallets and pallets packed tight. Talked a fair bit to the Action Man guy as he was present - showed me the judo suite - recknoning on 10k maybes for it :shock: He was a friendly and very informative guy. Palitoy rep stuff I saw was an incredible collection of items to see.

Yes overall they were very friendly and eager to be of help. Mostly passionate collectors working there - interesting job!!

couple of pics - nice!

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1642.JPG

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
As a couple of people have seen the Palitoy Rep stuff is it pretty clear now that the SW items are mainly 12 backs? I thought this was the case but there's a 30b Luke Bespin sitting in tht box :lol:

talldroid77

Padawan
jedisearcher said:
As a couple of people have seen the Palitoy Rep stuff is it pretty clear now that the SW items are mainly 12 backs? I thought this was the case but there's a 30b Luke Bespin sitting in tht box :lol:

From what I saw I wouldn't say that - only saw a 1 box of 12/20s -seemed to be a full set minus jawa no fett. If there's more I was not made aware. There are som ESB cards in the pic and some more -rem bespin guard.

Some exceptionally nice boxed items. The action man stuff seemed to dwarf sw and I spent more time there as an expert was present to tell me about it. I may bid on a misb blue pants soldier but not really relevant here. Overall the quality stood out - excellent - it has been stored with much more care than the Grange stuff.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
talldroid77 said:
jedisearcher said:

From what I saw I wouldn't say that - only saw a 1 box of 12/20s -seemed to be a full set minus jawa no fett. If there's more I was not made aware. There are som ESB cards in the pic and some more -rem bespin guard.

Some exceptionally nice boxed items. The action man stuff seemed to dwarf sw and I spent more time there as an expert was present to tell me about it. I may bid on a misb blue pants soldier but not really relevant here. Overall the quality stood out - excellent - it has been stored with much more care than the Grange stuff.

Ok thanks mate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom