Import/custom charges on return of AFA grading.

stormcab

Sith Lord
Anyone know the deal with customs/import charges when the AFA send your graded figures back to the UK? They said they don't know the UK laws, but they will mark the form as empty cases to reduce risk of charges. That's all very well, but I don't fancy risking several hundred/thousand pounds worth of figures that aren't insured.

I have a test batch over there now and am just waiting for them to send my the shipping invoice.

Thanks

obiwannacollect

Jedi Knight
My understanding was that unless the item is marked as a gift and less than $50 you will incur charges. I imagine finding out how much you are likely to pay can be found online.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-goods-from-outside-the-eu

wrighty

Sith Lord
I think it's common for AFA to declare the value low but they take out a separate insurance scheme to make sure items are covered. That's my understanding. However be prepared for a big bill for shipping, I think they use FedEx for international shipping. Alternative is you have it shipped to someone in US and they forward to you via USPS!

maxf

Jedi Master
You won't get a customs bill - they only declare the grading fee and, as mentioned above, take out seperate insurance for shipping damage.

stormcab

Sith Lord
maxf said:
You won't get a customs bill - they only declare the grading fee and, as mentioned above, take out seperate insurance for shipping damage.

Oh brilliant! Thanks for that.

olisuds

Sith Lord
They usually also mark that goods are being returned so even if it's insured for full value, you SHOULD be fine as it doesn't count as a purchase of goods. Make sure its marked clearly though.

Princess Raya

Padawan
Or you could just use UKG. They're based in the UK so no customs to worry about. Added bonus is that you're not supporting a company that U grades figures. :wink:

stormcab

Sith Lord
Princess Raya said:
Or you could just use UKG. They're based in the UK so no customs to worry about. Added bonus is that you're not supporting a company that U grades figures. :wink:

I keep seeing this U grade thing, but not what it is. Can you explain?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
stormcab said:
Princess Raya said:

I keep seeing this U grade thing, but not what it is. Can you explain?

U grade is an item that has been graded from a factory seal. The most common example being figures that are taken off their card and then graded as loose. (now your thinking what's the point in that and your right) But unfortunately certain collectors go for a full set of loose figures graded U85 or higher which drives the price up and encourages certain dealers to grade MOC's that are not evan badly damaged as figures like Klaatu are worth more to some collectors graded U90 than they are MOC. Their's a link below with more info. The whole U grade thing is generally frowned upon on this forum and has coursed agrow evan in the short time that I have been a member.

http://powerofthetoys.com/afa/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom