Am i alone-TPM?

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Guys

Am i alone when i say that im a huge TPM fan? Im actively collecting anything from the original 1999 release as its what got me into collecting again full on. The hype, intrigue ,expectation-it was different to when the SE were released. It reminds me of a very special time and holds a place in my heart.

Anyway, im probably alone...

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I dislike TPM as much as the next middle-aged film curmudgeon but I have a bit of fondness for the build up. My only possessions are a MOC Maul and a mail-away JarJar Sticky Tongue from a Walkers Crisps promotion. :)

Your hobby won't bust your bank account any time soon.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm with you on this, when the toys came out it was like a new dawn for me. I watched the film a couple of weeks ago and fell asleep. :?

I was thinking the other day how 1999 is becoming nostalgic. It was also the year I spent £120 on a fake VC Jawa. :lol:

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
The anticipation of The Force Awakens had me naturally thinking back to 1999.

Even if TFA turns out to be shite, I will have fun in the months leading up to it. Like Christmas, sometimes it's all about the run up.

Fishtalk

Jedi Knight
It was fun, the summer of 1999. Every shop on the high street had lifesize cardboard Darth Mauls and Jar Jars staring back at you, I remember the day of the solar eclipse buying a load of the figures from my local newsagent. Everything seemed great, but then I ruined it by going to see it. :?

starshipriot

Jedi Master
I was 9 when TPM came out. Because of this it was awesome. My view has changed pretty quick though. The once impressive lightsaber fights soon looked overly choreographed, the story extremely lacking, overuse of CGI and jar jar binks. By time episode 2 came out I had sold all of my figures apart from my vintage beaters. I look at the prequels now as those arsehole family members you might not like but have to tolerate because they're part of the family. I do appreciate them for how rubbish they are. But they were meant to be serious!

You may have seen this before but its very funny and summarises TPM pretty good.
http://youtu.be/FxKtZmQgxrI

sith-smith

Grand Master
starshipriot said:
You may have seen this before but its very funny and summarises TPM pretty good.
http://youtu.be/FxKtZmQgxrI

That's more entertaining than the movie!

The prequels were never going to be the originals so for me and clearly a lot of people who were young when the OT was released, our negative views on the PT are heavily biased.

Now there are thing about the OT, TPM included, that I really like, but it's not possible for me to call myself a fan.

It's also hard to judge it as a movie in its own right, without considering it part of the Star Wars collection of movies.

x-pack

Grand Master
Some of TPM is ok and not as bad as some bits of ROTS or the other one. But then again some bits are deeply terrible, like the worst bits of cinema history ever. If my IT skills had been developed since computer screens were in colour, not green on black, I would compose a montage of the worst bits so we could all remember the horror ...the horror :shock:

...oh here we go someone has already done it :roll:
http://thoughtcatalog.com/oliver-miller/2012/07/50-quotes-from-the-star-wars-prequels-ranked-in-order-of-terribleness/

Here's a classic line for you - "…It is only natural. He cut off your arm, and you wanted revenge." If nothing else some of it is comedy gold :)

BlueDog

Sith Lord
I took my eldest to see TPM at the cinemas last year when it was rereleased thinking he'd enjoy seeing it. I fell asleep and he asked if we could leave after about 30mins.

Like most I was super excited back when it came out and a bit indifferent about it once I'd seen it. I made my mind up it was awful once I'd re-watched the original trilogy. I understand that lots of people like it and that's cool but for mine I didn't enjoy it then and think very little of it now.

zombiemedia

Jedi Knight
I remember being so excited about TPM, I bought a few figures in the build up (still got them somewhere). And then it happened. And it was shite.
I didn't bother going to see ep2 in the cinema, and I've only watched it once on DVD, I can hardly recall anything that actually happened in it.
For some reason, I queued up to see ep3. Full of hope that this part couldn't go wrong. The final tale of how Anakin became Vader. Again...it stank. I've never bothered going back to it, but I did watch the final fight on youtube recently. It felt like a glorified video game. Terrible.

I know that in the build up for ep1 that I got caught up in the hype and excitement. It was never going to live up to my expectations. But it didn't have to be such a crushing disappointment. Seeing the Jedi in action should not have been so lifeless and boring.

I'm on a mission to avoid all spoilers and trailers for ep7. I'll go and see it fresh, hoping that JJ doesn't mess it up.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I remember the excitement building up to the release of TPM and how great it was seeing SW everywhere again, but then I saw IT. George Lucas deserves a kicking for what he did.

It's one of the worst films I've seen. Someone bought me the DVD for Christmas a year or two later, I binned it without even bothering to finish unwrapping it. I refuse to even accept that the prequels exist. They are abominations. The dialogue (which was never great in SW) is abysmal and the plot. Trade embargoes and arguments in the senate ooohhh that's exciting :roll: ! Then we have the worst romance in Hollywood history and as for the scene where Anakin turns it's the single most anti climactic scene in any film ever. Then there's the CGI, and more CGI and MORE CGI. I'm actually surprised he bothered with real actors when he could just have CGI'd them. Ohh and let's not forget Jar jar ****ing Binks, young annoying Anakin, Hayden Christensen and Vader screaming like a poof.

I just worry that the new films are going to disappoint like TPM did.

zombiemedia

Jedi Knight
weasel said:
I remember the excitement building up to the release of TPM and how great it was seeing SW everywhere again, but then I saw IT. George Lucas deserves a kicking for what he did.

It's one of the worst films I've seen. Someone bought me the DVD for Christmas a year or two later, I binned it without even bothering to finish unwrapping it. I refuse to even accept that the prequels exist. They are abominations. The dialogue (which was never great in SW) is abysmal and the plot. Trade embargoes and arguments in the senate ooohhh that's exciting :roll: ! Then we have the worst romance in Hollywood history and as for the scene where Anakin turns it's the single most anti climactic scene in any film ever. Then there's the CGI, and more CGI and MORE CGI. I'm actually surprised he bothered with real actors when he could just have CGI'd them. Ohh and let's not forget Jar jar ****ing Binks, young annoying Anakin, Hayden Christensen and Vader screaming like a poof.

I just worry that the new films are going to disappoint like TPM did.

I don't think Lucas every really knew what went right with the original trilogy. I'm hoping JJ, as a fanboy himself, will get it. The fact that he's going against the CGI overkill bodes well.

zombiemedia

Jedi Knight
weasel said:
That's what I'm hoping for, but deep down I'm resigned to another disappointment

I made this, I hoped someone on set would buy it and wear it...

bcb84bc007d52adb22827a42429c14d5jjmess_TB1.jpg

zombiemedia

Jedi Knight
_Lee_ said:
Guys

Am i alone when i say that im a huge TPM fan? Im actively collecting anything from the original 1999 release as its what got me into collecting again full on. The hype, intrigue ,expectation-it was different to when the SE were released. It reminds me of a very special time and holds a place in my heart.

Anyway, im probably alone...

deluxequigon.jpg

I think I bought one of these from a collector shop in Ipswich before the film came out. Wish I'd never bothered.

x-pack

Grand Master
Haha! Yeh like all TPM merchandise it's probably worth a lot less than you paid. Got a few bits myself :roll:

zombiemedia

Jedi Knight
x-pack said:
Haha! Yeh like all TPM merchandise it's probably worth a lot less than you paid. Got a few bits myself :roll:

But but but...it says Deluxe!
It's got to be worth loads right?
Right?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom