OT: Vintage Star Wars Display in Southend

Joe

Grand Master
Had a really cool (if slightly random) sighting of some Vintage today at the Adventure Island arcade section in Southend!

Had no idea it was there before we went (haven't visited Southend in about 9 years!) and only came across it by accident. We were walking through one side of the park to the other (you have to go through the arcade) and I noticed they had the new battle pod game in there so went over to have a look. To my surprise, right next to the game was a Star Wars display cabinet called "Star Wars through the years" with Vintage in it! Check this stuff out!

display-4.jpg

display.jpg

display-3.jpg

display-1.jpg

display-2.jpg

They also had a Pink box ESB snowspeeder and some other Vintage bits and bobs that I didn't get a picture of, the loose figures didn't have any weapons but the Palitoy Chicken Walker was in really nice condition and I was happy to see most of the dates on the labels were correct :D

Seemed like everyone who worked in there was into Star Wars actually as the ride operators kept asking me where I got my Adidas Star Wars shirt from so as I was talking to a few of them I asked if they knew who owned the stuff in the cabinet but nobody seemed to know. One bloke said it might have been one of the bosses but wasn't 100% sure. I noticed there were some autographs in there though (Logray and Vader) which were signed to "Lewis" - anyone know who it is?

Only had one go on the battle pod game but it was fun, didn't really know what I was doing for the first 30 seconds but I am pleased to report that I did manage to blow up the Death Star :mrgreen:

battle-pod-2.jpg

battle-pod.jpg

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Wow, great find! How cool to have a display like that.
I'm really looking forward to having a go in one of those BattlePods :) Do you get to choose what fighter/battle you go in?

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Excellent find! Really good to see the cabinet, although I feel a bit wrong wanting to play the game more than look at the toys! :eek:

Joe

Grand Master
Haha yeah the game was good fun, I only had one go (might be wrong but I think you have to start on the Death star trench run) but once I cleared it I could select other stages I think. I saw Hoth and a couple of others but we went off to go on the rides and didn't have the time to go back for another go.

It's definitely worth a play if you see one while you are out and about but I think it would soon cost you a fair bit if you wanted to have a proper long go on it because even if you clear a level you have to put more credits on to keep playing lol

Joe

Grand Master
You should pop in if you are down that way Rob, it's worth a quick look and it doesn't cost anything to walk into Adventure Island as you probably know!

We ended up going back again on Friday as my little one loved the rides so I took a better picture of the entire cabinet and one of the Snowspeeder:

IMAG0674.jpg

IMAG0675.jpg

Great place to go if you are a Star Wars fan actually as all the blokes working there seem to be into SW too :lol: One of them had his work pass/ID card on a SW Lanyard and another said "may the force be with you dude" when I got off a ride :lol:

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Yeah nice one Joe, looks well cool. I love that cabinet, I can picture something like that in my house. I like Southend seafront. I grew up in the area. Some of my family live up the road in Leigh so I'm down there a fair bit. Will check it out.

Born Too Late

Youngling
Old thread revival alert! This is where I work, everything in the cabinet belongs to our arcade manager and our workshop built the cabinet to house it in. Since your visit Joe we've added a life size Han in carbonite,which is pretty cool, and the Star Wars Trilogy arcade game from the late nineties.

Much as my better half loves Star Wars too, she's already said I'm not allowed a cabinet that size in the house sadly

kieatky

Jedi Master
That's an awesome looking cabinet, it would be brilliant to have the space to use one of those for displaying my vintage collection :D

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Born Too Late said:
Old thread revival alert! This is where I work, everything in the cabinet belongs to our arcade manager and our workshop built the cabinet to house it in. Since your visit Joe we've added a life size Han in carbonite,which is pretty cool, and the Star Wars Trilogy arcade game from the late nineties.

Much as my better half loves Star Wars too, she's already said I'm not allowed a cabinet that size in the house sadly

Hey, why not tell your manager about this great forum you have just joined ;)

kingshearer

Jedi Master
Great pics! Alot of love has went into setting up that shrine to Star Wars.
From a distance the display looks like the Death Star - it's wicked!
If I'm ever in Southend (sadly highly unlikely) I'll make a point of checking it out.

CarlStacey1

Hi all, my name is Carl I am head of coin operations, and I am the owner of the Star Wars toys that you see at Adventure Island in Southend-on-Sea. I built the cabinet from an old teddy crane. since these photos, the area has been moved to the feel goods Restaurant arcade and a lot more items have been added.
I have added a Star wars trilogy video game which I have completely rebuilt from scratch. the other machines include 2 Pod racers and the Battle pod which is about to get an upgrade. And yes we have a full size replica of Han Solo frozen. The Toys in the cabinet do change from time to time.

Joe

Grand Master
Glad you decided to join Carl!

New location looks great, love the Han Carb!

southend_sw_display.jpg

Dantooine

Padawan
Wow, next time I'm in Southend I'll seek you guys out.

What upgrade is the Battle pod getting? New stages?..please don't let it be the prequels!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom