New Han Solo Film(s)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Uh oh, I think Disney are in danger of over-doing it now :?

http://www.starwars.com/news/christopher-miller-and-phil-lord-to-helm-han-solo-anthology-film

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
the casting is going to really make or break this. If they get it wrong it could be awful..

BUT

If they get it right, it will be a lot of fun. Chewie, Fett, Jabba, and a whole host of villains.

Joe

Grand Master
Star Wars overload. They really need to be careful with the films they release and not go for quantity over quality, otherwise there will be a time when everyone will be saying "oh god not another ****ing Star Wars film.." although..that might work to OUR advantage :lol:

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Joe said:
Star Wars overload. They really need to be careful with the films they release and not go for quantity over quality, otherwise there will be a time when everyone will be saying "oh god not another ****ing Star Wars film.." although..that might work to OUR advantage :lol:

Yeah, make loads of new product/stuff that is so damn cool, everyone will start collecting it and the bottom will fall out of the star wars vintage market with yaks for £1...

:wink:

stormcab

Sith Lord
Let it not be said that Disney doesn't know how to squeeze every last drop out of an idea. Yes this may increase the value of our items, but that also means anything new us collectors want will quickly be out of our price range. All the films and spin offs will make a ton of money, but I think they'll be like the X-men or Avengers films. All a decent watch for effects, but will very little soul, and not something you'd want to watch over and over. Deep down, we do want this, we do want to know what happens before and after, but it's down to the luck of the film makers to hit all the right notes, which they rarely do. Am I excited about the new trilogy out in December? no. Why? because I've been let down too many times - The A Team, Transformers, Terminator 3 onwards, etc not to mention the worst the Star Wars prequels.

Dantooine

Padawan
We already know everything single thing we need to know about Han Solo within the first five minutes of meeting him. What's the point of the movie other than cash?

I really hate prequels of any kind - if a film is successful enough to have a prequel it obviously doesn't need one. Characters even more so. Anything extra we learn about these iconic characters weakens them.

I don't see how this can work, and the guys they've got making it - the Lego Movie and 21/22 Jump street... It's not exactly Irvng Kershner is it. Who the hell will they cast? Harrison Ford is Han Solo.

I've got some hope for The Force Awakens because it will be good to see the old cast again, but everything coming after it smells a bit pony. I've also heard similar grumblings from a few people working at a well known studio just outside London.

Disney take note - it's like Terrence Malick. Two masterpieces made in the 70's, the world waiting decades for another film and now he can't stop churning out garbage, one film after another, each getting progressively worse.

It's late, rant over.

elcroz

Padawan
The Rogue One movie I can stomach as its a fresh(ish) idea and should not interfere with, nor tarnish ANH more than the 'stealing of the first Death Star's plans plotline', so on paper it gets my vote... but a Han Solo movie?

I'm fickle enough to say if it's not Harrison Ford you've lost the 'adult audience' immediately, but then, is this movie being made for us? Hell no... It's something I have to remind myself of is that Star Wars isn't ours anymore - it's been diluted and pi$$ed about with so much over the years and now handed down. We have had our time and it ended in 1985 with the POTF line.

It's a shame that there are no real fresh ideas for the Star Wars Galaxy moving forward.

I'd seriously prefer a Star Wars Origins movie about Klaatu as it might make him rocket in price :)

fuzzybuzzytoys

Sith Lord
Why is this such a surprise? Disney have already said they will make a new Star Wars film every year. Episode 7, 8 and 9 with a standalone film in between years.

I guess I'm only a little surprised it's not a Boba Fett standalone but I'm sure he's going to be in this.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Hope it's good, like others have said this is not a suprise. Making 3 stand aloan films one had to be about Han Solo, hopefully we see how he won the Millenium Falcon. :)

Oh and Boba Fett has got to be in it.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Dantooine said:
We already know everything single thing we need to know about Han Solo within the first five minutes of meeting him. What's the point of the movie other than cash?

I really hate prequels of any kind - if a film is successful enough to have a prequel it obviously doesn't need one. Characters even more so. Anything extra we learn about these iconic characters weakens them.

That's exactly it - film makers these days do not understand the value of "less is more." I don't want to SEE Han Solo at high school or on dates, I want to imagine it. Do they really think people are so stupid these days that everything has to be written/seen?

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
chris-pratt-star-wars.jpg

The memes for Chris Pratt are already out there!

:)

Jason

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Dantooine said:
I don't see how this can work, and the guys they've got making it - the Lego Movie and 21/22 Jump street... It's not exactly Irvng Kershner is it.

I always chuckle when Kershner is held as a legendary film maker. Of course, he totally nailed it with ESB, arguably the best movie ever made. BUT he made an absolute load of crap either side of it.

Maybe it's going to be a Lego Han Solo movie....

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Dantooine said:

That's exactly it - film makers these days do not understand the value of "less is more." I don't want to SEE Han Solo at high school or on dates, I want to imagine it. Do they really think people are so stupid these days that everything has to be written/seen?

Sums it up pretty well

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
We knew these were coming years ago. I'm just delighted that it's not a Yoda movie that many were speculating. Especially now we know that Yoda was a bit of a dullard when he wasn't pretending to be a Dagobah yokel.

So we get Han Solo. It'll prossibly have Boba Fett, Chewie, The Falcon in it too. If there's going to be Star Wars spinoff films- which we've known about since the takeover - what's up with that?

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
My attitude will probably change when the trailers start appearing, but at the mo I have zero interest in these Anthology films.
I would hate to see the GFFA turned into Star Trek, with endless spin-offs of varying quality.

Part of the fun of the OT, was the anticipation and build-up of the three year wait between episodes.
By churning out a film every year, I think the uniqueness will be lost and the brand will be diluted overall.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom