Lifting Bubble

BadMotivator

Jedi Knight
I've never really been interested in MOCs but last year I couldn't resist a bargain and picked one up, good nick, nice and cheap and I was pleased with it. Since it looked nice on the shelf I thought I might get a few more but being a rather prudent chap (boring bastard) I thought I'd use the first one as a bit of a canary cos my house gets boiling in the summer and freezing in the winter and I'd be gutted if I bought a load and then the bubbles fell off. Well anyway, I picked it up today and the bubble has indeed come away!

Should I take this as a sign that MOC collecting is not for me or is it just a coincidence? In your experience does environment play a roll in bubbles falling off or is it just random?

My second question is what sort of glue should I use to re-attach the lifting bubble?

Cheers!

x-pack

Grand Master
Hmmm. A contentious topic.

Firstly, yes heat/cold/damp etc can all affect your vintage Star Wars collection. Secondly, if you glue the bubble back on it will become a 'reseal'. Some frown on the process and it will almost certainly devalue your cardback. However, as your bubble is already fallen/falling off it is no longer a 'mint on card' and has unfortunately already lost value.

What you do with the card is your choice but if you are asking questions like 'what do I use to reseal the card' I wouldn't bother as you will almost certainly make a pig's ear of it (no offence).

BadMotivator

Jedi Knight
Yeah I'm sure some people frown on resealing but I'm not going to sell it on (it cost less than twenty quid anyway).
There are plenty of reseals sold on here, and lots of people have them in their collections and I think they're widely regarded as a good opportunity for people to get their hands on some nice stuff that they wouldn't otherwise be able to afford. In any case I'd rather have a reseal than a separate card and bubble. I'm going to choose to look at this as a blessing in disguise and maybe use it as the impetus to start a reseal collection.
I'd like to do it sharpish while the bubble is still partially attached so I can get everything to line up nicely so if anybody has any experience I'd love some tips.

Joe

Grand Master
I think you've just been unlucky. There definitely are figures that are prone to lifting but the vast majority have pretty solid seals, so you should be fine if you continue to collect them. Just make sure you have seen close ups of the bubble/seal before you spend your money.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
There have been several threads on reseals, and you are quite right, this is an excellent way of "MOC" collecting on a budget. If you are not collecting as an investment and for the sheer joy of owning vintage pieces, the reseal is a great way forward.
If you source them from trusted sellers on here and in the community then fine, but if you go to evil bay, the obvious caveats apply, if it's resealed, then there is an opportunity for some nefarious characters ( found in all walks of life) to include repro weapons, low grade figures with chips, rubs and marks, and repro bubbles, so Caveat Emptor I'm afraid!

Having said all that, reseals, and beaters are great IMO

Good luck, get a pic up of the piece in question :D

Palifan

Sith Lord
I personally have a lot of love for reseals as they are a more affordable way of putting a moc run together. If the bubble is still partially sealed though using some sort of glue on it might not be the best way to go as the glue can yellow over time (although that probably depends on what type of glue you use).

One possible way to keep it safe is to use a toploader that are used for comic storage and carefully cut out the bubble area on it. I know some guys on here have used that technique and I'm sure someone will be able to find the thread with how to do it. I have a few toploaders ready and waiting for fixing up a few seal fail card backs myself and feel that it's the best way to go as you're really not affecting anything permanently.

Ian

x-pack

Grand Master
^^^ This

Toploaders are a great way of displaying and looking after cards where the bubble is coming away.

aussiejames

Sith Lord
Only fits in an acrylic case if you use a single layer of toploader, so no seams. Clear sheet sits on top with the bubble hole cut out- then slide the whole thing into case. ( so one toploader can fix two 'MOCs' )

Palifan

Sith Lord
Didn't think of just using one side, thanks for that as I may well give that a go. :D

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom