Well apparently, im not a Star Wars geek after all...TFA

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Forgot to say earlier, but i got told i wasnt a true 'Star Wars' geek/fan earlier today at work :D

Why??? because im not hyped up for TFA and will not be watching it. What a load of bollocks, especially as it came from a Trek fan. :D I was told that no matter what i think it didnt end with Vaders death, ala ROTJ instead it carries on ( slightly obvious with the EU ;) ) I did say that its my own opinion and that i want it to stay how i first saw it, which is 3 movies. I also told said Trek bellend that i saw the OT in its first cinema release which shut him up a bit as i know he didnt :) that always hits a nerve :lol:

Really pisses me off why some people have this idea that if yoy dont want TFA or any other new movies, you are apoarently not a real SW fan.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I hear what you're saying, I had some chap quote EU, canon and 'the black series' at me recently... I literally had no idea what he was talking about when he said canon and when I had mixed feelings on EU (having only read the Thrawn trilogy (which I loved and maybe 2 other books that I thought were OK at best) it apparently meant I was some kind of a newbie with no real SW knowledge/passion... Despite the fact that I watch the OT probably more often than the news (note I hate watching the news, I don't actually watch the OT daily (well not quite :lol: )) and I have a whole (ex-dining) room devoted to my SW collection.
Some peoples opinions just need to be walked away from, its what I did and saved my breath to go running rather than waste it on this chump...

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I think you colleague is right. :)

Heres a video of you watching the trailer:

[youtube]z0pTt2K2R3Y[/youtube]

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I can understand your stance completely. I'm personally looking forward to seeing it, and I have no problem with the SW 'mega fans' into EU etc, but for me personally Star Wars is the three original films and the toys/computer games based on those films. I'm not anti EU or new films, but they are exactly that, new films. They are not the original Star Wars. So if people want to reject anything since the three proper films, they are entitled to do so and I can relate to it.

I often see Star Wars 'fans' and wonder if they've even seen the original films! Secret Cinema was a good example of that, everybody was dressed in Episode 1 style clothes and waving Darth Maul lightsabres around.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Thanks for that reply Edd, pretty much sums it up for me. I will be 100% honest though, i think im so attached to the originals that im not wanting to see anything past ROTJ. Ive never been an EU fan either, but i would rather that than the huge shift to new sequels, spins offs etc. I suppose with them basically banishing EU then we are now led to beleive that JJ's vision is what is carrying on the saga, which just isnt right. I know Kasdan was brought back into the fold to add the original element, but i seriously fear that seeing what happens with JJ,s storyline will go completely against the grain. I know that a lot of people are loving the idea of new films, now and in the future but im just too settled with the OT, and at a stretch the PT as it ties in with the OT. Sure, maybe over time it will eat away at me but im not thinking it will :roll: :lol:

Perhaps there is a part of me that doesnt want anything to do with the sequels as it will ultimately change my view on the OT. Im not ashamed to say that Star Wars has played such a huge part in my life, and even when the PT happened it came at a time of importance in my life with marriage,kids,subsequent divorce etc. Trust me, this hobby got me through hell sometimes and i really am attached to it.

After all that, i really do hope that all fans get what they want from TFA and future releases, and i mean that. Im an old,miserable bastard and im happy with my 1970's 'Space Opera' :D

Lee

Robstyley

Sith Lord
You should've told the Trekky bitches to GET OFF YOUR LAND!!! GET THE HELL OFF.. OUR LAND!!! No I'm totally with you on the OT thing Lee, it's all about the original films, that's it. I'm looking forward to the new film, intrigued, can't wait to see it. However, I have to seperate it from the childhood experience and my love of the original films and toys. To say someone is not a big SW fan cos they're not psyched about the new film is utter bollocks. With regard to collecting, my first love is vintage but even the odd bits of modern I pick up are all characters depicted in the original trilogy. I have a few POTF2, some Saga and some 30th. There are some nice figures we didn't see in the vintage line but they are all from the OT.

elcroz

Padawan
Lee, we are called 'Purists'.

I've seen the prequels. I will watch the next three chapters with an open mind. I can take or leave the standalone/origins movies, Han Solo the movie sounds awful, better had it been animated with Ford doing the voice as nobody will be able to do Han Solo - our generation will not accept another actor in this role.

I only watch the unaltered original trilogy.

To me Star Wars is 77-85 when the POTF line ended.

Each to their own but anyone over say 37 and is a prequel sympathiser needs to be publicly humiliated. Little ones who like the prequels are entitled to it as it is their nostalgia tomorrow but it isn't for our generation.

For taking these view's I have too been labelled 'not a proper fan'.
In my opinion those who love a bit of Jar Jar is not a proper star wars fan.

Princess Raya

Padawan
_Lee_ said:
im just too settled with the OT, and at a stretch the PT as it ties in with the OT.

Aaargh! Lee, you had me until now! Now you're definitely not a real fan!

I am, of course, joking. As you mentioned, you have personal reasons for liking the PT. We all like different elements of SW. Some people even end their love affair half way through ROTJ when the ewoks turn up. :wink: A true fan should love what they love and not believe their fandom is better than anybody elses. A true fan would simply be pleased to share memories of whatever common SW interests they do share.

So Lee, I'm very pleased to share a forum, a love of the OT and vintage toys with a true SW fan like you. :D

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Lee, hold on a minute! I know you had been down on THE FORCE AWAKENS but after the second trailer you seemed to have an epiphany and said you would take your lad to it, you posted;

"Well, having watched the trailer for the 5th time i now have to admit i did get a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. I think its the music that does it for me, plus Vaders helmet, Lukes saber and Chewie/Han. My 7 year old boy is off school today and phoned me to say he had just watched the new trailer with Mummy and that he cant wait. The excitement in his voice said it all to me, and it made me watch the trailer again-which made me think of my lad, and myself back in the day. This finally made me realise that nothing can take away what i went through back in the day, and that my kid deserves the same. My dad was never a cinema goer, and my mum took me to them. So ive decided that however sceptical i am, i want my kid to experience what i did."

You joined the light side, don't backtrack now to the grumpy side of the force!! :D

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Lee, hold on a minute! I know you had been down on THE FORCE AWAKENS but after the second trailer you seemed to have an epiphany and said you would take your lad to it, you posted;

"Well, having watched the trailer for the 5th time i now have to admit i did get a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. I think its the music that does it for me, plus Vaders helmet, Lukes saber and Chewie/Han. My 7 year old boy is off school today and phoned me to say he had just watched the new trailer with Mummy and that he cant wait. The excitement in his voice said it all to me, and it made me watch the trailer again-which made me think of my lad, and myself back in the day. This finally made me realise that nothing can take away what i went through back in the day, and that my kid deserves the same. My dad was never a cinema goer, and my mum took me to them. So ive decided that however sceptical i am, i want my kid to experience what i did."

You joined the light side, don't backtrack now to the grumpy side of the force!! :D

lol!! :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

I change my mind all the bloody time. The last trailer did get to me a bit, and Sonny also loved it. He has since gone off the SW buzz :roll: and now thinks he is Iron man (that will change though) However, i dont know if its only me but im so worried that if it flunks it will make me rethink the OT and ruin the view i have on it. I like to think i saw Luke,Han,Leia and the gang dancing at the ROTJ ending (the original NOT with young Anakins ghost ;)) and living a happy peaceful life - i wasnt prepared for more :? The PT was bad in the scheme of things, but it does tie in with the OT. Star Wars to me is about Good turning to evil-then redemption, all involving Vader.

Im just not getting the buzz after more photos etc come out, and Disney see it as a money machine-nothing else. Yeah, lucas made it for money obviously, and reaped the rewards but the man wrote the bloody story!!!!

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:

Is this really Lee????

That is massively spooky, this is exactly how I imagined him, i'm like Russell Grant or something

CRAZYHAZY

Jedi Master
I hear you brother....I only do the original trilogy and I have never deviated from that. Not interested in the extended universe. Honestly I have no idea of their characters or plots ...zero.

I like the word "purest" ..even my toys collection reflects this I got rid of all my ROTJ and to an extent ESB. I am 44 and my era were the 1st 21 figures and some ESB lines so they are naturally what I get a buzz from I also love everything from the 70"s era. Because that was what I remember as a kid

I have the total privilege of seeing the original release and soaking up the buzz and excitement of the time. I am a total geek and fan. I will watch TFA because it has given me that sense of nostalgic giddiness.

I'm in your camp Lee.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Stuart Skinner said:
Grant_C said:

Is this really Lee????

That is massively spooky, this is exactly how I imagined him, i'm like Russell Grant or something

Cheeky bastard :D Nothing like me,ive seen the prequels around 12 times each!!! :D

Makes me laugh when he says "i sheen thoosshhee movies six tames each and i hate them" what the hell? It took you 6 times to find that out? I knew AOTC was shite as soon as i saw Obi,s fake beard. I bet those cuddly toys got lubed up for some extra stuffing later... :D

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
If TFA was fresh fish.

J J Abrams was Chef Ramsey

and the artists involved were tomatoes and Basil.

Lee would be Chef Doug.

[youtube]C7RDizkiulg[/youtube]

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
If TFA was fresh fish.

J J Abrams was Chef Ramsey

and the artists involved were tomatoes and Basil.

Lee would be Chef Doug.

[youtube]C7RDizkiulg[/youtube]

Hahaha :D

Yup:)

Dantooine

Padawan
I'm looking forward to TFA, but like most here the original films are where it's at.

I had a look through a Star Wars insider magazine the other week and there was hardly anything in it I could recognise. There was loads of animation coverage, really awful designs, EU stuff, books etc. Star Wars is now just another franchise. Also mixing in the prequels with the OT is just bonkers. To me that's just blind fandom.

The original unaltered films are about as far as I go, and two of them stand up as great films in their own right. I doubt TFA will be a "great" film in terms of cinema, but it might be a good Star Wars film, and because the original cast are there I'm way more interested.

Edit: On a side note... I have to admit I'm not that keen on the original toys that weren't in the films. I once owned a nice boxed Cap-2, but that was just because I like the photo on the box. Maybe I'm not a fan either :|

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom