anyone washed vintage material capes/gowns

poncho

Grand Master
Bought a loose loft find. Mostly knackered but there you go. There were some musty dirty capes and i tempted to wash them...i was thinking if whacking them in the washing machine on a delecate wash low temp....or should i hand wash them?

Thoughts

regards chris

x-pack

Grand Master
Good question!

Never heard of anyone doing this. If it was say, a Han Jacket, or maybe a Leia Poncho I can't see any problem as long as you wash them one a very low temperature. Not sure what these things are made of but a hot wash may shrink or mis-shape them. Worth a try if you have a cape or something that's dirty anyway. Try something inexpensive first obviously.

Only thing I wouldn't touch is the ERG cape. Those things never go back on right.

Let us know how it went :)

poncho

Grand Master
i agree. I reckon that would frail away in the machine.

Actually the ones im gonna wash our more tougher material. Bib fortuna...and a couple of others...we shall see...

lejackal

Grand Master
I've never done it but could do with washing the white robe on my 12" Kenobi so very interested to hear how this goes. I would recommend one of those bags you use to keep socks separate though.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Careful what colur sock you use :?

Pink capes :!: better using one of those wash bags, or the old fashioned way in the kitchen sink.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
I'd be tempted to try and clean them by hand with a damp cloth first Chris. Not sure what type of fabrics were used in in some of the capes but from my experience in the upholstery game if it's anything like a Polyester/cotton mix or straight cotton it'll pucker up tighter than a fishes arsehole if fully submersed in water be it hot or cold.

Always best to try to dab clean with a cloth first bud.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
ScruffyLookingNH said:
I dare you to pick up some mini clothes hangers, put the cloaks on and go into a dry cleaners with them.
:lol: :lol: :lol: There would NEED to be photos!

paulcalf

Jedi Knight
Let us know how you get on.

My childhood 12" luke's clothes are well dirty, i've been considering sticking them in the machine on delicate cycle

ODB

Jedi Master
I've washed several capes by hand with a small sprinkling of washing powder and they came up very nice. They don't seem to have suffered any lasting effects, I was gentle with them and allowed them to dry naturally (no radiators or hairdryers) and they don't seem to have shrunk, warped or frayed.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
This is just ****ing surreal, hearing you discuss that your smalls have escaped from the delicates bag Chris in not something I thought I'd ever hear said on this forum. :lol:

Clawrence

Jedi Knight
hotpoint_toy_washing_machine2.jpg

Found the perfect thing :)

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
I had a prune face cape that seemed beyond saving - very manky. With nothing to lose I tossed it in the washing machine and actually it came out renewed and looking great!

olisuds

Sith Lord
I soaked overnight and handwashed a couple of Yoda coats and they came out great. Some mild detergent or some hand soap should do the trick.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom