Anyone seen PAT.PENDING stamped landspeeder with serial number?

finestcomics

Padawan
Hey guys, I started a thread on RS and haven't really received a great deal of responses, and only one person confirming owning such a landspeeder variation. Trying to cast a wider net out to the UK/European communities to see if anyone here has seen this variation of the landspeeder before, or has one in their possession. I've roughly counted 4 including mine since beginning research on it about a month ago, which includes an eBay listing, someone who posted about it in 2012 on RS with no replies, and the RS member responding in the thread confirming he has one as well. I really wanted to get a sense of whether this is an obscure/unknown variation for reasons that others haven't noticed it, and probably explains why there's hardly any mention of it anywhere. It appears the hand stamped "PAT. PENDING" also is accompanied with a serial number - at the moment, I only know of it being stamped under the hood. I haven't been able to confirm if it's possible they may have alternated between hand stamping under the hood or on the seat as well. They are hand stamped using steel molds, and the lettering on the PAT. PENDING and the numbers on the serial number are raised, not engraved:

landspeeder_pat_pending_zpsar1tvi2z.jpg

landspeeder_hood_serial_sm_zpsbcdmno8h.jpg

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
I have the same markings on mine, which I don't know how to attach the pictures of, but exactly the same number is under the bonnet, and 'Pat. Pending' on the underside. :D

spoons

Grand Master
I'd never noticed this on mine before but pay pending and two serial nos.

One number is only visible in the right light and is like its in permanent marker

16D4455A-2BFD-422D-8805-ACB2298CAA49_zps0m3jiivh.jpg

DA2C5763-F188-45C8-8DCE-6BDB5C9C9E11_zps1hxlfcpc.jpg

802884F8-2413-4178-A05D-A24C32B5D792_zpshaxbjozj.jpg

finestcomics

Padawan
Very cool - thanks guys! The number is now unofficially up to 6 8)

spoons - that looks like a rubber stamp in blue/purple ink from the photo.

Do either of you guys notice any writing anywhere on it in black marker?

On mine, I have an "I" circled in an oval in black marker - it's slightly worn out, but still visible, and it looks like it was hand drawn.

One other case shows a similar mark - wondering if you guys see anything like that anywhere on the vehicle.

spoons

Grand Master
Rubber stamp works - good spot

Just looked all over for any other mark and drawn a blank.

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
finestcomics said:
Very cool - thanks guys! The number is now unofficially up to 6 8)

spoons - that looks like a rubber stamp in blue/purple ink from the photo.

Do either of you guys notice any writing anywhere on it in black marker?

On mine, I have an "I" circled in an oval in black marker - it's slightly worn out, but still visible, and it looks like it was hand drawn.

One other case shows a similar mark - wondering if you guys see anything like that anywhere on the vehicle.

I cannot see any marker pen marks, but it is pretty scuffed, so indicates it is very well played with and may have lost any such markings at some point in the past. :D

finestcomics

Padawan
Yeah, mine too is really scuffed at the bottom. The mark on mine is on the turbine in an inconspicuous spot, so I think that's why it didn't fade completely and is still visible.

Thanks for your participation :)

Joe

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
finestcomics said:
Yeah, mine too is really scuffed at the bottom. The mark on mine is on the turbine in an inconspicuous spot, so I think that's why it didn't fade completely and is still visible.

Thanks for your participation :)

Joe

No worries - I've just checked the turbines, but cannot see any markings there either :D

finestcomics

Padawan
Wow, this is becoming more interesting. So that's two with a second rubber ink stamped code. Thanks guys - keep 'em coming if you have em.

Also would be nice to know if you got these as loosies, or boxed, and if you still have the original boxes that came with them, post pics. Many thanks!

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
finestcomics said:
Wow, this is becoming more interesting. So that's two with a second rubber ink stamped code. Thanks guys - keep 'em coming if you have em.

Also would be nice to know if you got these as loosies, or boxed, and if you still have the original boxes that came with them, post pics. Many thanks!

Mine is a well beaten, loose example, purchased in Glasgow around 20 years ago... One of those 'I never had one as a child so I'll buy this one' moments... :D

spoons

Grand Master
Mine was loose from a car boot sale in York 23 years ago - maybe the stamps are down to UK Kenner stock.

I think these are just early releases and more will appear as people check

finestcomics

Padawan
Good info guys. Mine came from a toy haul I got from a dealer. They were in a massive ziplock back, hiding under the table, behind one of the plastic tubs he had for loose figs. There were 3 complete landspeeders (two of which were TOLTOYS) and then parts for 3 more. One of the others one's described in the other thread by RossC came from a purchase from an ex-Kenner employee - he said "I first noticed it when comparing to a EP landspeeder I once owned that came from a former Kenner employee. This pat pending version came from the same guy."

I do believe like spoons these are early examples, but I think they could potentially tell a very interesting story in the production process that somehow hasn't been discussed until now. As a landspeeder focus collector, I'm really interested in learning more about this variation.

SF_S

Padawan
Hi Guys, here are my two land speeders boxed. one in a single LP badge box, this one has no Patent Pending stamp and no ink stamp under the hood. The other in a double (one either side) LP badge box, this one has the rubber stamped in under side of hood and also Patent pending stamped on the under carriage.
DhboTg

E6k22Z

SF_S

finestcomics

Padawan
Thanks for responding SF_S. Not sure if there's an issue with my computer, but I can't seem to load the images you attached.

finestcomics

Padawan
Yes, better - thanks SF_S. Really interesting stuff. That's the third to exhibit the rubber ink stamped code. Is it too early to start thinking this is a geographic coding system, as it seems only members from SWFUK have these. Really appreciate the participation and input here everyone :)

finestcomics

Padawan
It occured to me that the ink stamped code seems to reveal a numbering convention of 3 digits - the highest number in the range appears to be 191, with the other being 183 and 186 in the first three digit sequence. It would be interesting to see if that represents a numbering system for batch control, and/or how many of these were marked this way.

papachocolate33

mine also has pat pending and multiple numbers mine is in black ink though here is pics

Attachments

• IMG_3897.jpg
    IMG_3897.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,717
  • IMG_3898.jpg
    IMG_3898.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,718
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom