I'm out of it for a little bit and everybodies having delusions of grandeur.

SOJ

Sith Lord
What with a Divorce, selling my flat and a new girlfriend, not to mention vintages prices blowing up and a new Star Wars movie generating a ton of new merchandise, I've sat on the sidelines for the last 6 months and not been actively collecting. With exception of a couple of MOC's I picked up from Chris Mann and Andy x-wing at FF I've remained dry.

However after a couple of nights getting lost in Ebay.com I managed to snag several bargains and they should be arriving in the next few weeks curtesy of Iain. The prices I've paid have given me hope that prices have started to cool and I'll be able to finish my Empire run. To give you an idea of what consider I bargain, The best one I got was £70 for an ESB Walrus man moc in really good shape.

There also seems to be less Ebay auctions with the term "vintage Star Wars" in the title then there was a year ago. The word vintage still draws attention and therefore lots of bids but I wonder if it is Facebook reducing the number of auctions on eBay? Or is vintage just drying up? I can't make head nor tail of it.

However that being said, with some inventive searches there is some great stuff to be had. There was a Palitoy Death Star which looked complete go £140 on Sunday.

What is everyone' else's experience, have I been getting lucky or are the tourists moving on? And how much will Rogue One stoke the flames again?

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
If you look at the UK based FB groups most sales are loosies, vehicle parts and afew other bits, so if you're looking at fewer MOCs on eBay UK I doubt FB itself would be having too much of an impact. The American groups have more MOCs so that might be reducing eBay availability abit.

There was a thread a while ago that got a bit broken, but it focussed on the reducing availability of MOCs and why it was happening - u grading, more collectors chasing the same stuff, hoarding etc. The content isn't really important but it shows other people have noticed the same thing as you.

I also think that if you've got the perfect item for some collectors - unpunched, clear bubble, afa graded above 80, debut card etc., it'll sell so quick on eBay that you won't even notice it. I know at least 2 major collectors (dealers), constantly scanning eBay for that type of item, but I'm sure there are more.

Bootyhunter

Jedi Master
What you mean is you've got a new bird and you've been too embarrassed to tell her about your toys :lol:

SOJ

Sith Lord
Bootyhunter said:
What you mean is you've got a new bird and you've been too embarrassed to tell her about your toys :lol:

Actually I took her to the last FF, and not just the Sunday, the Saturday piss up night also so she got the full effect.

benny100

Sith Lord
I think you're right that there's fewer Mocs up for sale, obviuosly down to the slew of new collectors.
Having said that the vectis auctions have had them coming thick and fast, wouldn't say there's been much value though.
eBay has and always will have the best bargains, all about timing and patience though!

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
SOJ said:
Bootyhunter said:

Actually I took her to the last FF, and not just the Sunday, the Saturday piss up night also so she got the full effect.

Luckily Dan used his common sense and sat her with me who is the most normal man in the hobby, so he was onto a winner

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Stuart Skinner said:
SOJ said:
Bootyhunter said:

Luckily Dan used his common sense and sat her with me who is the most normal man in the hobby, so he was onto a winner

If that's true we're all ****ed.

SOJ

Sith Lord
Richard_H said:
It was so she wouldn't be tempted. Also made Dan look more of a catch.

I'd of needed to get a ****ing translator if we'd sat next to you. Glad to see that this place hasn't changed.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Welcome back Dan, I had wondered where you'd been.
I've noticed less mocs for sale on eBay but I'm only really searching for a couple so that might just be a bad coincidence.
This place still has loads for sale and great prices but what I have noticed here are more people selling large collections. We've had 2 or 3 massive sets of mocs come up in the last few months.
Looking forward to seeing an update on that empire run.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I've noticed certain items dropping in price, well MOC I suppose. But only when their listed as auction, the BIN prices are still mainly silly. I'm starting to think another 6 months and the gold rush might end? :?

Welcome back anyway Dan, sounds like a rough 6 months, hope to see you posting a lot more.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
I have actually been watching things a lot. I am beginning to see some of the newer collectors (ones new to it within the last year and a half or so) with cash (or credit) appearing to slowly burn out (or appear to) with less look what I bought or comments in general. Bargains can still be had on Ebay, you just have to work a little harder and look for hidden jems.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Fewer MOCs about for sure. Ask prices are creeping up in classified both here, on FB and on eBay, but as mentioned, there are much better bargains to be had on auction whether that be on eBay or at Vectis. As always, loose prices are all over the place.

I would have expected loose prices to drop now given that those that came back/started collecting in the build up to the TFA release would have completed or near completed their loose runs. Doesn't surprise that MOC asks continue to rise what with the loose collectors having finished their loose runs and looking further afield. Combine that with those that were selling off at the peak (TFA release) have finished selling off, there's restricted supply, too.

Bought a MOC a few days back that was, I think overpriced but seeing as the supply seems to have lessened and demand for low end (Jedi) Palitoys has increased, I felt I had to. Last time I do that. Much more fun rooting out bargains.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
tiefighterboy said:
I am beginning to see some of the newer collectors (ones new to it within the last year and a half or so) with cash (or credit) appearing to slowly burn out.

Yep I have noticed this too, almost daily I see posts on Facebook of people openly admitting they have spent too much and are selling things they only bought a couple of weeks ago, often at a loss. It happens everywhere obviously, but is more visible on Facebook due to the discussion and groups.

But you're right on all counts - sensibly priced items are still out there, you just need to look. And I agree the quantity of MOCs on sale has dwindled over the last few years, they must all either be locked up on collections or dealers inventories, or maybe (eg as I suspect of Toy Toni as he's practically stopped selling) the recent rises have made people sit on their stock in the hope prices will double again next year.

And of course "rare" is very subjective - the trilogo Jawa is the second hardest and most expensive, yet one has been sitting on eBay for 18 months without a bite. Granted it's not cheap, but seems reasonable compared to the stupid prices people are paying for common MOCs like Yak Face or loose VCJs.

The weak pound has made buying from the US less attractive recently, 1.38 at the moment :(

Jez

Sith Lord
tiefighterboy said:
I am beginning to see some of the newer collectors (ones new to it within the last year and a half or so) with cash (or credit) appearing to slowly burn out (or appear to) with less look what I bought or comments in general.

No, i completely disagree. That guy Andreg who wants turbo banana just before Xmas, still posts all of the time.....no wait...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom