Last minute request for Star Wars memories for my book

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Reading through the text of my book, I'm short of memories about the excitement the Star Wars trilogy generated.

There were queues around the block at cinemas in many areas. I don't remember a queue to see Star Wars though. I think my dad was canny enough to wait until the end of the run locally, so as not to waste time not getting into the cinema.

Any memories of shelves being stripped of Star Wars toys? I recall how Romford town centre was entirely emptied of Star Wars toys in the Autumn of 1979. Only one market stall had a lonely Palitoy Landspeeder with a massive price tag that my mum bought as a joint present for me and my brother. We played with the toy to utter destruction, but as 'proper' collectors we kept the box and it survived in pretty good shape up until today.

People were also talking about the films among their friends and family. Various theories were being discussed too about what the films would contain before they were released. I had assumed as a child that Star Wars was American but one of my uncles would always make a point of telling me that the special effects were entirely British. I must admit, I didn't believe him! There was a very patriotic flavour to many of the news reports in 1977/78 so I don't blame him for picking up on the hype.

Any memories would be very useful.

Craig.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
The first Star Wars film I saw was The Empire Strikes Back ( aged six ) upon its release, possibly during its first day in Glasgow. I have an older brother who had been hyping me up for it. In fact, unknowingly to him, he was hyping me up for it since my memory began. Any stills I'd seen from Star Wars just looked the greatest thing imaginable. The Odeon in Renfield Street was queued right around the block that day. My legs were actually trembling when I saw the Odeon sign and, as we neared the front of the queue, that quad poster. Due to my brother's books and comics I knew who they all were in advance, even Boba Fett. I remember banging on about Boba Fett to two uninterested sisters that evening. They did pretend to enjoy my felt pen drawings of him.

One thing that, with hindsight, was a shame. i had known, probably from said brother, that Vader was Luke's father. I had assumed this was always known in Star Wars so at ESB's climax, I thought that must be Luke just finding out what we knew all along.

By the way, Craig. You helped me out with identifying some release dates before. I think I saw ESB *very* close to the week that the gang were on Blue Peter and Hamill on Ask Aspel. Or maybe even the same week. Becauase of this, I'm wondering if there was a special preview in Glasgow before the nationwide release. I saw the film twice that year which I remember being a while apart. Now, I know about false memory syndrome so i can't be certain, of course. But, I remember considering Star Wars to be 'my thing' when they were on Blue Peter. I do appreciate that I'm basing all this on the now ancient memories of a six year old, though!

Regarding toys selling out, my only memory of this is Christmas 1982 when i got my AT-AT. My parents told me that they had trouble getting one. My mum's colleague heard an advert on Radio Clyde for the then new 'Jolly Giant' store announcing they had AT-ATs in stock. A quick phone call later, and he drove off and picked one up for her.

The Jolly Giant reminds me. I saw a few in-store Vaders but the one I saw at the Jolly Giant looked very screen accurate. I remember him having brown eye visers like in the first film. This thing look like the real deal! I wonder if you have any info on these events. This appearance was advertised alongside an appearance from the General Lee from the Dukes Of Hazard. I remember *lots* of detail about it and may have the date written down in a diary.

I'll get of the psychiatrist couch for now. I must be overrunning my appointment, Doctor.

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Thanks for the memories!

Ask Aspel with a recorded segment featuring Mark Hamill was broadcast on May 20th, the day of the London premiere. I don't have a date for Blue Peter with Mark and Carrie but I'm still digging.

The Odeon Glasgow opened on June 15th, and I'm not aware of any special preview. Anything is possible though.

There were lots of dodgy Darth Vader costumes before the official ones were made 1982. These official Vaders wet on tour throughout 1983 and 1984.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Simply Sci-fi said:
Thanks for the memories!

Ask Aspel with a recorded segment featuring Mark Hamill was broadcast on May 20th, the day of the London premiere. I don't have a date for Blue Peter with Mark and Carrie but I'm still digging.

The Odeon Glasgow opened on June 15th, and I'm not aware of any special preview. Anything is possible though.

There were lots of dodgy Darth Vader costumes before the official ones were made 1982. These official Vaders wet on tour throughout 1983 and 1984.

Thanks Craig. The recent 'Star Wars At The Beeb' clips said the BP appearance was the same week as Aspel. I wouldn't know how accurate that is, of course. I can't find the extended/unedited clips they uploaded to YouTube. Glad I dl-ed them before the deleted them.

rdpla

Jedi Knight
Craig, this might not make the book, but it should give you a laugh...
ESB was showing, I was working part time in sainsburys and it was my night on.
so badly wanted to go and see it..
Called in to tell my dept manager i was sick and wouldnt be in(holding my nose/talking with a raspy voice/ sounding poorly) They said hes not available but will relay the message.
Waiting in the lobby to grab a seat someone from behind whispers in my ear and says `You`re fired`. Yup, my dept manager. He said i looked like a fish trying to say something, and before i could he laughs and says I wont tell anyone if you dont..Happy Days.!

Robert.

Symes

Youngling
I remember being 7 years old in 1983, and really excited as my dad took me to see Return of the Jedi on its release. Every weekend after when I went shopping with my parents they'd take me to the local toyshop, Nuxley Toys and buy me one of the Kenner figures. And that Christmas they hunted like crazy to buy me a Millenium Falcon. Those things were like gold dust and my parents went miles out their way to find me one!

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
My earliest Star Wars memories were from around Spring of 78. I remember getting the novel from Woolworths before seeing the film. I still have the copy and it was the Sphere one that stated over a million copies had been sold. My dad took me to see the film as a birthday treat which would have been late April. I think I'd read the novel in its entirety by then as I talked through the entire film telling my dad about all the characters and different aliens. I do remember queueing to get in to see it even then. The cinema was full.
In terms of social interaction I remember swapping trading cards with children in the playground at junior school. Both the blue and red trading card sets. I was definitely doing this before seeing the film as some o the images really stirred up my iimagination. In terms of media coverage I know we were led to believe that the droids were real and I knew nothing of Kenny Baker and Anthony Daniels originally. I vaguely remember an episode of Blue Peter with the droids on it from 1978 ?
In terms of toys I remember losing my luke skywalker figure around the time of the world cup so june 78. I had quite a few of the first 12 around the same time. I have a photo from Christmas 78 of me playing with a landspeeder so I guess I got that for Christmas and an X wing. I don't ever remember the shops being short of toys.
My first knowledge of ESB in the media was an episide of the Risk Business which showed how George Lucas wss funding the film from his own pocket. I remember seeing it once with a friend during the summer holidays. At the time I didn't enjoy the film as much because of its darkness and cliffhanger. I loved Star Wars because it was so upbeat and fun and I wasn't ready for the darker ESB.
I do remember seeing SW/ESB double bill at the cinema which must have been early 83 I'm guessing? I'm assuming it was because I know that I only saw SW once at the cinema before I saw it again for its TV debut in late 82. I remember getting selected items from my fledgling collection and placing them around me on the settee while I watched the film!
I joined the OSWFC in early 83 in anticipation of ROTJ. From this I was able to get tickets to thr Triple Bill screening at Leicester Square the day before the premiere. I still have the tickets and the original OSWFC invitation letter. I also went to another triple bill screening later in the summer at Tottenham Court Road.
By this time I was the only Star Wars fan in my year at school and had to keep my head down as I was ridiculed quite a bit. I remember getting a phone call one night from a couple of twats from my class who'd had a bit too much scrumpy trying to sell me Darth Vader dildo's :)
So these are my memories of that period. Most probably nothing different that will help with your book but hopefully it gives you a brief viewpoint of an 11-16 year old's take on that time.

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
Hi Craig,

When Star Wars first came out in 1977,I was 4 years old & the cinema in my home town of Accrington was a Unit 4.In the photo below,there is a bar/nightclub called Shifters to the left but it used to be called the Pickwick bar/restaurant when I was a kid & my mum worked there as a barmaid & was friends with the manageress of the cinema.My mum said that I saw Star Wars about 10 times as she used to take me to work & when she finished,the manageress used to open the doors that were adjacent to the Pickwick (fire doors?) & let me & my mum through for free! 8)

Also,at the same cinema in September/October 1984,they ran all 3 films (SW,ESB & ROTJ) back to back & I went to see them & my arse was numb after sitting through over 6 hours of films! :lol:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=accrington+unit+four+cinema&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=mnsiv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjs_8eOjo7MAhUJbRQKHcOjAHIQ_AUICigE&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=0H5kVcnRCyV33M%3A

Paddy the Jedi

Padawan
Hello Craig, I remember Star Wars being shown at a cinema in Belfast. It was called The Curzon on the Ormeau Road( it has since closed a long time ago) however even though I was 6 when Star Wars was released I don't believe I saw it until much later and as I said before it was on TV!! I still think that I was young when this happened. I also remember a fair bit of news coverage on TV which was significant as living in Northern Ireland during the height of The Troubles there were atrocities committed nearly every day!!!! With regards the Toys and merchandise I remember seeing amongst the more common vehicles and playsets a couple of the Irish Space Figures packs! This was in a small toyshop in the town where my granny lived sometime in the 1980s. The town is Kilkeel in County Down and I was more interested in buying Matchbox and Airfix kits than Star Wars as one of my Uncles was very passionate about these! The principle toy store in Northern Ireland during the 1970s and 80s was Leisureworld in Belfast. It was family owned and known for its really large,groundbreaking displays- which for boys involved either Logo or Star Wars toys.I will always have fond memories of spending many hours gazing in wonder at the Vehicles,Playsets and Figures that I desperately needed to fulfill my own battles onthe Death Star or Tattooine! And finally I remember when I was in Primary 7 and then First Year at school most of my friends having Star Wars stationery( probably the Helix brand) including pencil cases,files and erasers. Hope this helps with your book!! Really looking forward to its publication- can't wait to get it!!! All the best Gary Cunningham.

scooternick

Jedi Knight
I watched my first star wars film(s) at the cinema in Swindon when my dad took me to see the new hope / esb double bill. I assume it was around the esb release date? I remember getting their part the way through new hope and missed the jawa scenes. This led to my confusion when I saw the jawa figure, not being able to refer to the film when seeing the toy!

One of my other toy memories is christmas day 83'ish and getting a general madine figure (my one and only figure that christmas) I told my parents how much I disliked it and got a bollocking from my dad for being so ungrateful and upsetting my mum. Still to this day I can't stand that figure, although my mate Clarkspieandchips did buy me a great MOC of him for my daughter quite recently!

Markzane

Padawan
I remember seeing Star Wars at the Odeon in Aylesbury with my Mum when I was 6 years old. Appallingly I remember becoming bored about half way through and my mum nudging me to tell me the Death Star had just blown up! Regardless I loved Star Wars now and my enthusiasm lived on through the comics although I prayed that the Death Wheel story wasn't going to be made as Star Wars 2! I remember Star Wars being big first in early 1978 not 1977 as most seem to.

For the ESB I went to see it in my 9th birthday in 1980. I received the annual that morning and looked through it- it didn't seem too promising, but I loved the film even if it seemed quite different to what I expected from Star Wars!

I knew the major plot points in advance- Luke losing his hand, Han carbonited and C3PO getting destroyed were the main talking points at school. Death Vader being Luke's father was less important- we just assumed he was most likely lying and we would find the truth in the next film!

I bought my first figure- Hammerhead- in May 1979- the first 12 were no longer in any local shops so it was just the cantina and sandcrawler gang. I had no idea who any of them were apart from Luke x wing and power droid ( who looked different). I didn't see a New Hope again until it's TV premier in Oct 1982, I did recognise Greedo fro one the ESB monthly reprints.

The toughest figures to track down were
Boba Fett, Luke Bespin (fatigues as I knew him then) both around 1981 and strangely Snaggletooth in 1982. I bought the figures weekly from the summer of 1982 onwards dud to an increase in pocket money and completed the 65 figure collection by the time of ROTJ, apart from the original Leia.
I remember wanting a Millenium Falcon for Christmas 1982 but one could it be found for sale in Bucks. Anywhere. Just AT ATs, hundreds of them! On one futile shopping trip my heart raced as I saw one on the floor by the checkout in shop ( Beaties in Aylesbury IIRC the name). I rushed over and tried to stake my claim but alas it wasn't for sale! Not sure why it was there to this day.
Any way no miracles happened and on Christmas morning I opened the consolation prize of an AT AT walker, which was still pretty good!

I bought my first vehicle (INT 4 in Asda, Llandudno) in Oct 1982 and bought a few vehicles over the next few months( Snowspeeder and Slave 1 were the best!).
I did finally get the Falcon 32years later.
I saw ROTJ on my 12th birthday- great film and fitting upbeat conclusion to the trilogy.
Almost to the day I lost my interest in Star Wars, I felt too old to be collecting. When I came back to it 32 years later it wasn't the Last 17, more like the last 30!

I kept all my figures and most weapons in Budgens carrier bag. Some are still there others are on Display in a complete loose collection.

I sold all my vehicles in the early 2000's to go out drinking-and still feel horrendously guilty about it.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
This doesn't warrant its own thread so I figured its post these here, filed under : dewy eyed Star Wars memories.

I'm really impressed to find out that the Glasgow Evening Times has decades worth of raw scans online at Google Books. I fished these out of it. Maybe other nostalgic old boobs from Glasgow will enjoy them.

w1znli.jpg

2vmd9xd.jpg

iwky1c.jpg

14v6wdh.jpg

There's no date on the first can but it was from Friday 27th January 1978. Release dates were beyond grim up north in those days,

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Those old clippings are fantastic and are the kind of thing that you can unearth at local libraries and the British Library. Glasgow was among the group of towns and cities that first received Star Wars when it went national on the 29th January 1978.

The quote from Cecil Wilson "Crash, bang, wallop, what a picture!" was extremely fortunate. The Daily Mail's regular film reviewer Margret Hinxman absolutely hated the Star Wars films and would have probably savaged The Empire Strikes Back. According to the Mail, Hinxman "was away" at the time ESB was reviewed, so Cecil Wilson took over.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
scooternick said:
One of my other toy memories is christmas day 83'ish and getting a general madine figure (my one and only figure that christmas) I told my parents how much I disliked it and got a bollocking from my dad for being so ungrateful and upsetting my mum. Still to this day I can't stand that figure, although my mate Clarkspieandchips did buy me a great MOC of him for my daughter quite recently!

That's not what you told me! I heard you threw him across the room in disgust. :lol:

We both also went to the empire/jedi double bill at the cinema in Swindon (which is now the savoy). I remember nothing once inside but the excitement whilst we were in the queue was so much I can remember the agonising wait to this day. It was also pretty significant cos we were allowed to go together and I don't remember any grownups with us.

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Its funny how people didn't like General Madine. He was the first ROTJ character that saw and I bought it instantly. He was on a Kenner card and was the only figure left in the newsagent. My mind was bubbling over what role he would play in the film.

I'm surprised to hear that you saw a double bill of ESB and ROTJ. I have only heard of the SW/ESB double bill in 1982 and the triple bills from 1983 onwards. Cinemas tended to do their own thing in those days.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Simply Sci-fi said:
I'm surprised to hear that you saw a double bill of ESB and ROTJ. I have only heard of the SW/ESB double bill in 1982 and the triple bills from 1983 onwards. Cinemas tended to do their own thing in those days.

I think we'd have been too young o go o our own for either the sw esb double or the 83 Tripple on our own so this might have been bespoke thing a bit later on.
My memories might be all to cock though and it could be the Tripple I remember and there was an adult somewhere.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I'm still desperately hanging on to the notion that I saw ESB in Glasgow in May. It was this which prompted me to trawl through the archives. Yep, I found absolutely no evidence whatsoever.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
In what was a long shot, I had my sister rake through piles of old family photos to see if she could find negatives for prints I lost decades ago. Amazingly, she found them. What we have here are snaps from Darth Vader's appearance at the Jolly Giant toy store in Glasgow, circa early 1993. These are rough - the negs were tiny and I scanned them on a regular scanner. I'll get them professionally transferred later.

This Vader is much more impressive than other ones I saw later. More evidence on that later if anyone cares.

de377c.jpg

2rfevwh.jpg

5xs6xh.jpg

3y1qo.jpg

2mdq52b.jpg

2mxh08p.jpg

4zzwwo.jpg

Some time in the mid 2000s my psychologist told me to let go and forgive my brother-in-law for cropping Darth's head off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom