Your worst pass-up

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
A conversation on Facebook gave me an idea for a thread - what's the stupidest thing you ever turned down? Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing and they probably weren't such great deals at the time, but what are you kicking yourself about now? Collecting era only please, I don't mean passing an aisle of reduced trilogos in 1988 ;)

I can think of plenty, but one that stands out is a 12 back MOC vinyl cape Jawa which I was offered for £750 in 2011. It wasn't perfect, but probably would have graded a 70 or 75. It makes me slightly sick that loose ones are now selling for that much.

poncho

Grand Master
A loose saberless droids cartoon r2d2 for £7 in 2013 It was legit and in good nick.at the time i didnt consider it as it wasnt apart of the main line of figures... now im dabbling in variants i wish i bought it.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Great idea for a thread Edd, mine's not in the same league as a MOC VCJ but it was a loose one for £150 back when I first joined on here. Another would be a set of GDE 12 backs with slit bubbles, I purchased the Luke but passed on a Stormie, Chewie, DSC and C3P0 for $60 each. I'm sure there's more but I've blocked them from memory.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
When I was about 13 or 14 I had the opportunity to buy a screen-used Imperial Commander cap. It was around £100 if I recall and so I needed a bit of a parental loan to top up my saved pocket money to buy it, but my folks talked me out of it. It would probably be worth around £20k today.

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
About 7 years ago i was offered a moc esb boba fett for peanuts, but i passed because at the time i had no interest in collecting carded figures.

andygo

Padawan
£3k ... circa mid 90's....

bought a car instead.....

Hero_TIE01[1].jpg

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
3 PBP ROTJ carded figures at £15.00 each in 1996.

I only had £13.00 so i bought a trilogo Weequay.

I would like a TIE Pilot helmet........

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Not long ago Orange hair Luke Farmboys were going loose for about £350 but decided to hold out a bit because I didn't have the money.

Looking back I could have got the money but they go for rediculous prices now.

I did get a VCJ recently though whilst I still could!

spoons

Grand Master
Good idea for a thread Edd

Han Hoth 65 back proof for £135 around 2009 :roll:

Loads of 'overpriced' loose Yak Faces for £10 a piece in 1993 at York Races car boot

But to be fair that's about it. Loads bought and sold over the last 25 years, regretted a few things but money only goes so far and I'm happy enough with what I do have.

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
Palitoy 41 back Fett back in 2002, I'd loaded my credit card up and it was a carded figure too far.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
The main one that springs to mind is a mint unused boxed Imp Shuttle I passed on for about 200 quid a few years ago, didn't want to spend that much...! I paid about that for a loose one not so long ago :|

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
2 1/2 years ago, first Vectis auction I went to, Leia Palitoy AFA 85, think it went for £1k. Didn't want to spend that much on a figure at that time so someone got it for the £1k. I then proceeded to buy two very nice Palitoy Luke's that ultimately turned out to be TTs so ended up with next to nothing :oops:

I know I might still not have ended up with the Leia but it still bugs me :lol:

Robstyley

Sith Lord
steve obi wan said:
25 moc Rotj cards back in 1991 , charity shop was looking £1 a figure or job lot for £20 , thought too expensive , :cry:

Ooft! That's gutting, but it was a very long time ago, I guess nobody wanted them then. Not unlike the bargain bins of trilogos in the late 80's people talk about.

yoda

Sith Lord
I also remember a local toy shop selling old stock in the 90s. I full box of moc figures for around £1or £2 each. I remember buying R2. I had no interest in buying anymore at the time. I thought they would always be there for another time. Turtles, Spiderman and Batman was the new figures out so I bought some of them with my saved money. I went back the following week to buy as many starwars as I could but they wer gone.
I could cry now thinking about it but sure hindsight is a great thing we all find out.
I still sometimes wonder is there figures in some box in a loft. Inside them old toy shops full of figures that never sold. I have a few shops in mind this has now made me think.

TrisCompany

Jedi Knight
My biggest regret is that I got a tri logo boba fett as a kid, remember it being the lighter colour and different to my other one, but can't find it now I've got a feeling I gave it away. Would have been a cool childhood thing to still have.

Also regret not buying a jawa trilogo reseal, no chance of ever spending 3k now for one.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
2007 and 2008 I whent to a flee market in Truro (Cornwall) once or twice a month. This one stall had a load of MOC's all were reasonably priced, but the stand out one was a 77 back Boba Fett with a price tag of £80. Apart from one small crease it was mint, I probably passed that figure up about 12 times. Recent price of all MOC Fetts make me think about this one all the time.

Great idea for a thread by the way. :)

roundster

Jedi Master
Supporter
I remember picking up a tie pilot MOC at one of the very first memorabilia shows at the NEC. Really wanted a Tie Pilot but was gutted to see it was on a Darth Vader Tri logo card. Think it was around £20.

Think it was the same as sold on vectis for £1680 recently :eek: . Ah well at the time you could get a Yak face mint on card from model and collectors mart for £38!!

Not star wars related my local merretts got cases of G1 Megatron and sound wave in for around £10 each in around 1993/4. Just didn't have the money or foresight to snap them all up!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom