Diary entries 1985

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
As I've mentioned before I have nothing from my childhood in respect of Star Wars save some happy memories, a 4-LOM chest harness, a Luke X-Wing head (currently MIA) and a battered ESB trading card. I've checked hundreds of photos of my childhood and not one figure appears.

However, going through some loft bits yesterday I came across my diaries that I kept as a kid. I kept a diary from around 1985 to 1990. They're never going to match Samuel Pepys' efforts but they give me an incredible insight into my childhood. They show me what was really important to me on a day by day basis and put events I remember into a timeframe that otherwise I couldn't have guessed to within 2-3 years without them.

I only found three, almost consecutive, entries relating to SW but then they date from October 1985. Personally I'm surprised I was still playing with SW then as Jedi was a distant memory. These are actually from a school exercise book as each day the first thing we had to do was write a diary entry and draw a picture relating to it, hence the red pen, and plenty of it! To put the three in context I was 9 years old and one of my best friends was about to move back to New Orleans where he and his family came from (they had been living on Anglesey due to his father's job at Anglesey Aluminium). His cruel parents had told him to sell his SW off. Much to my delight :D Clearly is was such a great thing I made two entries for that day covering the day before and my plans for later that day! Clearly those furry little buggers caught me out with the names as you'll notice the deliberate mistake on the third entry!

diary2.jpg

diary 1.jpg

diary3.jpg

Joe

Grand Master
Those are without a doubt the most amazing diary entries ever! Wow! You lucky bugger!

Hope you frame them mate!

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Do you think they'll serialize them in The Times? :lol:

Cheers Joe. Not often you can find historical proof of Yak Face costing 25p! What amazes me is that I have NO recollection of buying the second and third lots of figures from him. I remember the first lot: that's when I bought a Power Droid and my mate James (mentioned) bought his blue Snag, but Yak Face?? I bloody hated that figure! Also it adds a bit of a mystery as I always thought my Mum had bought my brother and I Yak Faces from Kiwk Save. When we sold up at the car boot (I WILL find the diary entry recording that!) we had two Yaks.

It also answers another very long unanswered mystery. in about 1992 when I was well beyond caring about SW I found a Chewi bandolier weapons case FULL of weapons. I mean bursting at the seems, I know it had both blue and green JEdi sabres in there and grey palace blasters. The mystery was when I looked back on this (and I have no idea where that container went :() I didn't understand how I had the container as I never owned a bandolier. Looks like mystery solved.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Awesome you bought a 'Yack-Face' for 25p off Tommy Randell! You are the old-skool original deal maker! What a brilliant things to pull out, I enjoyed seeing this more than the legions of graded MOCs that fill up FB everyday - thanks so much for sharing! :D

itfciain

Grand Master
Joe said:
Those are without a doubt the most amazing diary entries ever! Wow! You lucky bugger!

Hope you frame them mate!

Agree 100% - these are amazing - love the drawings at the bottom as well

Leemcl

Jedi Master
Absolutely brilliant to see & read. Really quite emotional :) in that sentimental kind of way.

Thanks for sharing

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
I enjoyed seeing this more than the legions of graded MOCs that fill up FB everyday - thanks so much for sharing! :D

I second this.

This bought my own memories of a similar time back to me, stuff like this is priceless. Thanks for sharing Simon :)

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Thanks for sharing that :D a little sojourn back into childhood, great entries, and the teachers red pen ...brilliant 8)

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks fellas. It's been a fun trip down memory lane. Shame I hadn't kept it earlier. Would have loved to have read an entry on my thoughts on ROTJ :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Great find and thanks for sharing. Also, shame on the inexcusably ignorant teacher that in-corrected the spelling of Star Wars to Star War! God that misspelling annoys the hell out of me! A local shop (run by lovely people and where I bought a lot of vintage) used to mislabel some of their stuff as 'Star War', even though they had copious boxes and carded figures around the shop prominently featuring the correct spelling!... And let's face it, I think it's fair to say that most people in the world that have heard of Star Wars know it's Star Wars and not Star War... Nobs!

OK, rant over :wink:

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
love it! ive got a drawing of darth vader i did when i was about 5 somewhere, will have to dig it out and post it on the forum at some point.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
What a treasure to have, I remember buying figures of older friends when you couldn't get them in the shops any more.

Don't have anything as cool as that to remember buying them though. 8)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom