Star Wars At The Pictures

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
I know that I'm not the only collector that is also somewhat entranced by vintage posters, tickets, and programs from the movies cinema run. I thought you might enjoy a trip around a few of the British cinemas from back in the day...

Dominion Tottenham Court Road
Star_Wars_-_Dominion_Tottenham_Court_Road.jpg

Star_Wars_-_cinema_london.jpg

Leicester Square Theatre
Star_Wars_-_Leicester_Square_Theatre.jpg

Odeon Leeds
Star_Wars_-_Odeon_Leeds.jpg

Odeon Southend
Star_Wars_-_Odeon_Southend.jpg

Unknown
Star_Wars_-_cinema.jpg

Star_Wars_-_odeon_cinema.jpg

Odeon Leicester Square
Star_Wars_-_Odeon_Leicester_Square.jpg

Unknown
Star_Wars_-_Cinema_unknown.jpg

The Ambassador, Dublin
Star_Wars_-_The_Ambassador_Dublin.jpg

Studio 6 + 7, Lewisham
Star_Wars_-_Studio_Lewisham.png

Odeon, Romford
Star_Wars_-_Odeon_Romford.png

ABC, Enfield
Star_Wars_-_ABC_Enfield.png

Leicester Square Theatre
Star_Wars_-_Leicester_Square_Theatre_ROTJ.png

Bradford Odeon
Star_Wars_-_Bradford_Odeon.jpg

It was a long time ago, but any of you guys actually remember seeing the original movies?

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
that 1st unknown one looks like Marble Arch

Yeah....i remember dragging my dad to the cinema in Peckham to watch it the day it came out.....weren't too many people there either so we got great seats in the upper circle (ahhh...the good old days when cinemas had 2 levels)

I remember ducking when the star destroyer came on-screen too :lol:

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Wow what great pictures. I saw all three individual films at the Classic Cinema in Monkseaton, Whitley Bay (Tyneside). Then all Three in one sitting at The Playhouse in Whitley Bay around the mid eighties. It was Saturday afternoon and the place was packed. It was like the scene out of Gremlins when they all go mental. We queued up for hours before to get in. Saw the Special editions of NH and ESB at one of the big cinemas in Leicester Square but have little memory of either, we'd probably been drinking before though. I can remember seeing the films as a kid more than as an adult. Don't think we saw Special Edition of ROTJ. Jabba was too much in NH. Awful.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Great thread :) :) :)

I missed out watching both SW and ESB at the cinema but remember vividly the day my dad took me, my sister and cousin to see ROTJ at the Odeon in Hanley. I remember it so well not because of the film but the fact my dad took us out, which he almost never did as he was always at work and he also hated science fiction films! :D

I do recall the whole cinema erupting with laughter when the Ewok gets on the speeder bike. I also recall pestering my dad for a poster magazine which was on sale in the foyer along with a load of other ROTJ merchandise.

I hope my son will be able to remember the day I took him to see TFA :)

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Was my first trip to the cinema - remember really laughing when R2 and 3PO crossed the corridor with Rebels and Stormies shooting at each other!
My first film - Star Wars
First concert. - Pink Floyd
Bloody cool being an old bastard :lol:

yoda

Sith Lord
Never got to see any of them at the movies either. Some great pictures though of the cinemas.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Great to see the shot of the Leeds Odeon. I didn't see the original releases there but it's where I saw the SE trilogy.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
db94 said:
Was my first trip to the cinema - remember really laughing when R2 and 3PO crossed the corridor with Rebels and Stormies shooting at each other!
My first film - Star Wars
First concert. - Pink Floyd
Bloody cool being an old bastard :lol:

Ha ha, it is pretty good being old!

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
I'm glad to see this is bringing back some happy memories. I've added ROTJ cinema hoardings to the pics in the first post. The Leicester Square Theatre again really went to town with such a great marquee!

And a couple of pics below - not Star Wars - but for fun...

Rob is this the Peckham cinema you went to...
tumblr_nir4dr8hRk1sevomso3_r1_500.jpg

Bobby, this ones for you
ec2203p21bay2.jpg

Mark, here is yours..
4652237889_b0723922f9_b.jpg

Scott, the Bolton Odeon..
2588951.jpg

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Ha ha thanks Bonsai, imagine 500 hundred kids locked in there for 7 hours full of sweets and pop, going crazy. Happy days.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
No way! Southend Odeon - My Mum and Dad could have been in that photo. I saw Empire there with my Mum and some friends. Gives me a lump in the throat seeing that, it's not there anymore :( Great memories. Bloody classic photos, when Cinemas were something special, like a theatre.

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
I saw each of the films at the Odeon in Reading -

odeon.jpg

I took the picture below of ROTJ at the Odeon Leicester Square (same as your better quality photo from your original post). This picture was taken on 1st June 1983, the day before Jedi's UK release. My family went up to see the Star Wars trilogy screening at the cinema. This was the first public screening of Jedi. Great night which I'll never forget!

As you can just make out from the picture the workmen as still applying the finishing touches on their ladders :)

img040.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom