VAT charges any help?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
yak_face
Regular
Regular

VAT charges any help?

Post by yak_face » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:37 pm

Ok so i bought a POTF luke stormtrooper MOC from Australia i asked the guy to write "Old collectible toy HMRC code 9705000090 5% VAT applicable only" which the seller did. i recieve the item everything ok. just had a letter from TNT asking me to pay 108 GBP. 20% VAT charges. pissed off what i do? i have till the 11th of july to pay.
any help would be appreciated.

steve obi wan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: VAT charges any help?

Post by steve obi wan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:43 pm

You have to pay it buddy , I think it's a myth you don't have to pay tax on SW toys
Steve ,

Reliving my child hood , only this time I have to spend my own money !

yak_face
Regular
Regular

Post by yak_face » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:46 pm

when buying from USA iv always ask the seller to put "Old collectible toy HMRC code 9705000090 5% VAT applicable only" and there are no problems.

rdpla
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Post by rdpla » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:26 am

fella bit too late
but for next time, maybe just ask the seller to put something like second hand miniature plastic action figure etc etc..
maybe Im paranoid, but writing codes and telling the customs to only charge 5% I feel would just encourage them to open it to inspect it..

Robert.

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:50 pm

I wouldn't pay it you have the item already it's TNT's problem, they should have asked for the money before delivering the item. :lol:
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Joe » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:02 pm

I can't offer you any advice but I had an interesting conversation about customs the other month. My next door neighbour is a postman and he recently brought me a parcel from America that had $75 declared value on the customs form. I was expecting a note to say I had to pay a fee but I didn't have to pay any customs fees at all. Result for me but I've read here that people have had ridiculous charges on $20 t-shirts and other low value items so I was left scratching my head. I asked him about this and he said he once spent the day at whatever depot it was that handled things like that and he said they basically just do every other parcel or ones that (in his words) "look valuable" (clothing shipments, electrical items/goods etc).

Not sure how much truth there is to that but if it is true it's one hell of a crap system. Either we all have to pay customs or we don't, shouldn't come down to pot luck with some unlucky sods parcel being selected the day it comes into the country when someone else's goes through for free.
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by weasel » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:33 pm

I don't remember EVER getting away with it. Not once.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Bunglebubs
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Post by Bunglebubs » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Most of the time ive been hit with the VAT scam on items from the US, a few times got away with it, so JOE your postman neighbour could actually be telling the truth as it does seem a bit hit and miss.
There is no spoon!

ODB
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by ODB » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:29 pm

I didn't get hit with VAT for ages until I bought an expensive watch from Singapore and surprise, surprise they managed to find that one ok (though that was DHL as opposed to Royal Mail), so it really does seem to be a total lottery. I can't see that its done on size, value, package type or even days of the week. Just totally random.
Beyond Good, Beyond Evil, Beyond Your Wildest Imagination.........

Richard_H
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Richard_H » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:56 pm

You must pay it. Then fill in a form (search this forum) and you can most of it back but it takes a good 6 weeks. It is clear to me, many disagree, that the code is not a guarantee to work anymore. You have to prove it meets many condition (over 30 years... out of production....) on the refund form otherwise they're not interested.
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

DarthStanley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by DarthStanley » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:02 pm

I always ask a seller to put the value at $20 & seem to be ok,obviously there's a risk of damage to an expensive item & you can only claim for the value marked! :D
"I don't give a fuck about your war or your president!" -Snake Plissken 1981

yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by yoda » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:14 pm

Was their a thread not that long ago here about something similar on customs and vat? Did someone say if the item is valued under $80 your fine?
I bought an item from states worth$75 and didn't have to pay any extra.
I don't flush the toilet, I scare the shit out of it. ~Chuck Norris~
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind ~Jackie Joyner-Kersee~
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball~

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:20 pm

Just splitting hairs here, are they asking you for import tax or VAT? Sounds to me they have messed up and are now trying there luck?

Basically what I'm saying is unless it's the VAT office demanding money direct, I would tell them to sling there hook!
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Bootyhunter
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Bootyhunter » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:18 am

yak_face wrote:Ok so i bought a POTF luke stormtrooper MOC from Australia i asked the guy to write "Old collectible toy HMRC code 9705000090 5% VAT applicable only" which the seller did. i recieve the item everything ok. just had a letter from TNT asking me to pay 108 GBP. 20% VAT charges. pissed off what i do? i have till the 11th of july to pay.
any help would be appreciated.
Suck it up! That's karma

yak_face
Regular
Regular

Post by yak_face » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:54 am

Why is it karma?