VAT charges any help?

yak_face

Padawan
Ok so i bought a POTF luke stormtrooper MOC from Australia i asked the guy to write "Old collectible toy HMRC code 9705000090 5% VAT applicable only" which the seller did. i recieve the item everything ok. just had a letter from TNT asking me to pay 108 GBP. 20% VAT charges. pissed off what i do? i have till the 11th of july to pay.
any help would be appreciated.

yak_face

Padawan
when buying from USA iv always ask the seller to put "Old collectible toy HMRC code 9705000090 5% VAT applicable only" and there are no problems.

rdpla

Jedi Knight
fella bit too late
but for next time, maybe just ask the seller to put something like second hand miniature plastic action figure etc etc..
maybe Im paranoid, but writing codes and telling the customs to only charge 5% I feel would just encourage them to open it to inspect it..

Robert.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I wouldn't pay it you have the item already it's TNT's problem, they should have asked for the money before delivering the item. :lol:

Joe

Grand Master
I can't offer you any advice but I had an interesting conversation about customs the other month. My next door neighbour is a postman and he recently brought me a parcel from America that had $75 declared value on the customs form. I was expecting a note to say I had to pay a fee but I didn't have to pay any customs fees at all. Result for me but I've read here that people have had ridiculous charges on $20 t-shirts and other low value items so I was left scratching my head. I asked him about this and he said he once spent the day at whatever depot it was that handled things like that and he said they basically just do every other parcel or ones that (in his words) "look valuable" (clothing shipments, electrical items/goods etc).

Not sure how much truth there is to that but if it is true it's one hell of a crap system. Either we all have to pay customs or we don't, shouldn't come down to pot luck with some unlucky sods parcel being selected the day it comes into the country when someone else's goes through for free.

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Most of the time ive been hit with the VAT scam on items from the US, a few times got away with it, so JOE your postman neighbour could actually be telling the truth as it does seem a bit hit and miss.

ODB

Jedi Master
I didn't get hit with VAT for ages until I bought an expensive watch from Singapore and surprise, surprise they managed to find that one ok (though that was DHL as opposed to Royal Mail), so it really does seem to be a total lottery. I can't see that its done on size, value, package type or even days of the week. Just totally random.

Richard_H

Grand Master
You must pay it. Then fill in a form (search this forum) and you can most of it back but it takes a good 6 weeks. It is clear to me, many disagree, that the code is not a guarantee to work anymore. You have to prove it meets many condition (over 30 years... out of production....) on the refund form otherwise they're not interested.

yoda

Sith Lord
Was their a thread not that long ago here about something similar on customs and vat? Did someone say if the item is valued under $80 your fine?
I bought an item from states worth$75 and didn't have to pay any extra.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Just splitting hairs here, are they asking you for import tax or VAT? Sounds to me they have messed up and are now trying there luck?

Basically what I'm saying is unless it's the VAT office demanding money direct, I would tell them to sling there hook!

Bootyhunter

Jedi Master
yak_face said:
Ok so i bought a POTF luke stormtrooper MOC from Australia i asked the guy to write "Old collectible toy HMRC code 9705000090 5% VAT applicable only" which the seller did. i recieve the item everything ok. just had a letter from TNT asking me to pay 108 GBP. 20% VAT charges. pissed off what i do? i have till the 11th of july to pay.
any help would be appreciated.

Suck it up! That's karma

yak_face

Padawan
Yea I thought you ment that.
Ok. Well im sorry if my post ( which I believe was genuine although I left it too late) lost you sales or damaged your reputation in any way. But I doubt that very much seen as everybody on here supported you.

You threatened me with the mods And said I was I a scammer which I'm certaintly not.

I don't see how it's karma because it's a completely different scenario.

Some of the comments were very hurtful and boredline cyber bullying. And nearly put me off collecting

I never intended although I'm my ignorance drag your name through the mud.

We shoudnt speak too soon as the wheel is still in spin.

I'm over it and really disappointed your not.

Peace.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom