is ebay a recommend place collect vintage

Joss

Padawan
Hi all,
I started collecting star wars around the late 80s, so never saw then on the shelves, anyway when I was a round 16 I just stopped money, moved to a flat in London etc etc... Anyway back on board again and picking up where I left off, and have turned to ebay to acquire those items I missed out on last time.
I suppose my question is, is ebay the best place I can buy from or is there better sources out there?
Back in the 90s I bought from that man at the Sunday carboot or from intergalactic junk.

lejackal

Grand Master
Welcome to the forum Joss, popping down to the for sale section on here is always a good place to get a good deal and more importantly the real deal from great sellers. There is a feedback section, and a want to buy for listing your, well, want to buy items.

Dive in and enjoy yourself

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
eBay is a good place to find real bargains still imo but watch out some sellers sell repros has genuine , as said already the sales fread is a good place too

MarkG

Jedi Master
Welcome from me too. To be honest, vintage stuff is at an all time high price wise at the moment with little sign of dropping. Some figures are commanding crazy prices now and even some weapons are.

EBay can be good, but there is so much reproduction rubbish out there now you have to be careful.

What do you actually want to aquire?? Loose or carded ??

As mentioned above, check the for sale section further down... just watch out for items listed by our resident Iain (itfciain). His stuff is so good and prices so reasonable you'll be skint in a very short time. Plus he's a top bloke.... as with many others here too.

As always.. if you're not sure about a particular item..
Just ask. There is a wealth of knowledge here to help you stop buying something it's not.

Lindo

Sith Lord
Bargains can still be had on ebay like stated as well as here, I recently bought a short mouth lily ledi biker scout graded ukg 85 delivered for under 60 notes, I feel like I robbed the guy at that price!

Joss

Padawan
For the moment I'm avoiding carded figures, I would need another mortgage to go down that route. In the late 80s they where my toys, so I guess I'm more than happy with loose items. Mostly aiming for the boxed vehicles, just love the box art.
When stuff arrives in like a 10 year old kid again, all those magical items I never had. Sadly it gets neatly packed away in the loft 30 mins later. Display is not an option with my wife
The vc jawa is the last one I need, but I'm reluctant to go down that expense without really knowing much about them, when your spending nearly £800 you want to know its the real deal, that's where ebay makes me nervous.

itfciain

Grand Master
MarkG said:
As mentioned above, check the for sale section further down... just watch out for items listed by our resident Iain (itfciain). His stuff is so good and prices so reasonable you'll be skint in a very short time. Plus he's a top bloke.... as with many others here too.

That Iain's not a bad guy - and I am sure he'll be listing up a decent amount of loose figures in the next few days as well :D

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Ebay is still a goer but be prepared to wade through piles of tat to get to the vintage.

And welcome!

poncho

Grand Master
Iain has good collector quailty stuff no bullshit.

if was starting over hed be my main source of vintage

ebay - i use it regularly. Just be careful with weapons and mocs. Always research if in doubt

side note - It annoys the **** out of me you cant use the word ebay on echobase trading posts (a face book selling group) everyone uses it! Even their Admin! ****tard rule!

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Yes. Until recently I thought people were joking, as in 'he who cannot be named'. So, can I ask here what the other FB groups are?

I have to say that I've never bought a fake MOC on eBay. They are described as such although often in the description. My problem isn't in the being ripped off, it's in the wading thru ****. Also, any time I've been sold a repro weapon, I've got my money back although sometimes after a bit of farting about. Like the other problem, it's s time wasting thing.

wrighty

Sith Lord
Check out Yavin on FB, Rich one of the admins is a great guy. Otherwise just search vintage Star Wars toys and you will see a few join the bigger groups!! :D

x-pack

Grand Master
Facebook seems to be the in thing right now but there are so many groups its hard to know which ones to join. I'm on vintage rebellion and Jabbas Auction room.

Here is good. You pretty much know you aren't going to get screwed over as most guys are long time members.

By far the best sales in my opinion are at Farthest From down in Fordingbridge. There's one on this month I think. Stop over the night before to meet the lads for a beer then check out the show and sales next day :)

itfciain

Grand Master
Loads of great sellers on here - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=22

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Hey Joss, welcome to SWFUK.

Loads of great sellers here and very, very, very rare you'll get an issues. And if you do public opinion will sort it for you if you can't between yourselves. Any concerns then follow the link Iain just posted ^^^^. The feedback thread will tell you all you need to know.

And as for eBay, stick with it. Almost every single bargain that appears in the LA thread comes from there. I've picked up two bargain Palitoy MOCs in as many weeks. Yes you have to persist but then it's the hunt that makes it worthwhile. The phrase "diamond in the rough" wasn't coined by some bloke behind a counter in a posh jewellery shop but by some poor schmuck who had to work to find one.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
It's a necessary evil and impossibly addictive. I've tried to give it up many times but there's always that one piece that hooks you back in. Ask the seller questions if you're unsure, usually their response will give you a feeling of whether they are legit or not. Ask for more pictures too. Early on I got sold a few repro weapons, the descriptions on items are often open to interpretation. After a while you get a feel for what's original or fake. When buying weapons, as soon as the package arrives be sure to get on http://www.imperialgunnery.com and check it adhears to their guide lines. If not get on to the seller. Watch for bad quality pictures too, sometimes the figure is listed as mint then arrives and is far from mint. I've made a few rash decisions, usually when looking at tiny, low resolution pictures of stuff on my phone and buying in haste. I think if it looks too good to be true it often is.... (Although I have got some great bargains on there too). Finally, avoid the twilight zone of 7pm-9pm on Sunday night. You're at home, bored, depressed about going to work on Monday and decide to treat yourself to something... Problem is, so is everyone else! You'll get carried away and over pay.
If you're patient stuff usually comes on to the forum, so sometimes it's better to wait. Other than that happy bidding!

plantman

Sith Lord
forums are by far better and generally safer places to buy, plus you will learn a lot from the guys on here.

ebay has its place, ive found MANY items on ebay i could not get anywhere else, it just takes time to fin the bargains or wanted items before they are snapped up!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom