Toni figure?

scott82

Jedi Knight
Hi guys,

I was trying to get Jason to have a look at this but for some reason i can't send pictures in a pm so ill put it out here for the world to have a look at for me.
I have this Han solo hoth figure an i was pretty sure it was a toni but the bubble that has been used is throwing me off can anyone confirm please?

Attachments

• IMG_1589.JPG
    IMG_1589.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 812
  • IMG_1590.JPG
    IMG_1590.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 811

yoda

Sith Lord
I don't know if its also a sign but that bubble is not running parallel to the black margins. It's closer to the margin at the bottom if you zoom in.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes Toni usually tried to centre the bubble over the racetrack, but most bubbles are actually aligned to the left/bottom of the card and not evenly over the racetrack.

PulsarP

Jedi Knight
Scott, is that an indentation mark I see to the right at the rear of the card?
If so, then that could be from the pressure applied when bubble was pressed into the mould, ToyTonis never had these press marks.
If it's a trick of the lighting then it's likely a TT.

Paul

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
PulsarP said:
If so, then that could be from the pressure applied when bubble was pressed into the mould, ToyTonis never had these press marks.

Paul

Pressing is not a clear cut sign. Some factory seals have less press than others and some Tonis have a bit of press, so never use this in isolation as the tell to say whether its genuine or not.

Jason

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
This is Tonis most common German card, there were 563 of them, bubble is one Toni used (though the factory used these too), card is mint and looks flat on the back. Nothing says factory seal to me on this card.

Jason

scott82

Jedi Knight
mr_palitoy said:
This is Tonis most common German card, there were 563 of them, bubble is one Toni used (though the factory used these too), card is mint and looks flat on the back. Nothing says factory seal to me on this card.

Jason

Thanks for your time and input.
I was pretty sure it was a Toni but just wanted to double check it's been the little black spot in my collection for a while now.

PulsarP

Jedi Knight
mr_palitoy said:
PulsarP said:

Paul

Pressing is not a clear cut sign. Some factory seals have less press than others and some Tonis have a bit of press, so never use this in isolation as the tell to say whether its genuine or not.

Jason

That's fair enough Jason, I've never seen a TT with significant rear card rectangle indentations before.
I saw an interview where TT's were simply ironed on leaving a flat and much too perfect reverse of card.

jay4

Jedi Knight
What Jason say's.
I've a few kenner cards that have little or no rear indentation at all.I've actually a couple that are completely flat behind bubble.

As for toni's tending to have centralised bubble placement. A lot of factory sealed also have this almost perfect looking placement, bearing in mind the machine press had placement points for the parts to be laid in, it's really only if workers were rushing the cards through the press plate that they were often slitely off or very off! many genuine cards are done straight and correct.

spoons

Grand Master
jay4 said:
What Jason say's.
I've a few kenner cards that have little or no rear indentation at all.I've actually a couple that are completely flat behind bubble.

As for toni's tending to have centralised bubble placement. A lot of factory sealed also have this almost perfect looking placement, bearing in mind the machine press had placement points for the parts to be laid in, it's really only if workers were rushing the cards through the press plate that they were often slitely off or very off! many genuine cards are done straight and correct.

I think there might be a bit of misunderstanding there. It's not a case of being skewed, genuine MOCs have the bubble placed close to the left hand edge, Toni tended to line them up directly over the coloured rectangle behind the figure - small margins but it does lead to a gap on the left hand side.

Look at the Han Hoths here, the bubbles are always off centre, and lined up with the left edge. That's how the machines were set up

http://s122.photobucket.com/user/spoonsnorton/library/Han%20Hoth%20Kenner%20cards

jay4

Jedi Knight
Yeah I hear you mate. :)
Toni placed his bubbles more centrally with bubble edge a fair bit away from card edge looking for perfection.
This han hoth here looks a dead cert toni to me!

I'm just pointing out for inexperienced onlookers that in general on other cards the bubbles not being super close to the edge of a card, much like the lack of bubble impress marks on the rears of card doesn't mean a moc is not genuine,it's deffo not another sure fire definitive way to spot a toni, because I've plenty genuine moc where the bubble back plate edge is a cm or slightly more away from card edge too on both genuine palitoy & kenner, mostly on my kenner empire though, not so much jedi, but I do have several kenner jedi with the cm or more gap betwwen plate and card edge..

scott82

Jedi Knight
Thanks everyone for your input, I really do enjoy learning new things about the collector world.
Always appreciated.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom