The Brexit impact on the SW UK marketplace revealed?

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
I listed five things on eBay yesterday.

I listed the Trilogo Lando Skiff I'd tried selling here and on Echo base at an (admittedly) slightly ambitious price (slightly overpaid for it). I also listed a sunbleached Squid Head Trilogo and then two lots of Matchbox Sea Kings from the 1970s. These last items were put on Buy It Now as more than any previous completed sales shown on eBay. I asked an even higher £90 for the Lando Skiff MOC (had to offset the fees) and a reasonable but hardly bargain £40 for the sun discoloured Squid Head. All plus shipping. As usual, I enabled the Global Shipping Programme.

Within 24 hours the above 4 items had sold and every single one of them have gone to Germany or Austria. Not only were the prices high by UK standards but you also have to add the excessive GSP fees the buyers would have paid. It looks like our new bargain basement GBP has made us a Continental buyer's dream.

Expect silly prices at Vectis later this year, and expect most of it to end up going to International buyers.

maxf

Jedi Master
The flip side of course is that its far harder to buy from the US an Europe - Im certainly buying far less than I have since I've been re-collecting.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
I don't want to go on about it but the original thread about brexit, along with the thread that I posted about potential effects on the Star Wars collecting market got poo pooed as scare mongering and pointless as brexit wasn't going to mean a lot blah blah blah.

Perhaps now we can finally admit to ourselves that certainly in the short term we have absolutely ****ed our currency.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Mr-shifter said:
I don't want to go on about it but the original thread about brexit, along with the thread that I posted about potential effects on the Star Wars collecting market got poo pooed as scare mongering and pointless as brexit wasn't going to mean a lot blah blah blah.

Perhaps now we can finally admit to ourselves that certainly in the short term we have absolutely ****ed our currency.

I certainly didn't poo on anything. I think I said this could be an effect. One swallow doesn't make a summer and I haven't really got anything more to flog than a handful of loose figures, but I reckon this will be normal for now. It remains to be seen if UK buyers will be walked all over at auctions like Vectis but I think sale like that and the Propstore's sales are bound to see inflated prices purely because non-UK buyers will pay the same despite being able to bid 20% more in GBP.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Lindo said:
Just buy in the UK would be the answer

That would be nice. As would getting a job that wasn't a 90 min train ride away, but sometimes you have to look further afield to get what you want. I've bought something from the US today and it cost a great deal more than it should have. I'd have bought it over here if I could have but I've never seen one for sale. And Vectis (et al) is in the UK as were my eBay listings. Point is it's not just the cost of buying from abroad that will affect us, it's he competition for items in the domestic market from abroad that will have an effect to.

Lindo

Sith Lord
See that's where I'm lucky I spose, I live 5 minutes from work and most of the stuff I buy is readily available in the UK

Palifan

Sith Lord
I just don't buy any vintage star Wars which seems to be working for me :lol:

Ian

stormcab

Sith Lord
I've ignored a few pieces being sold in the US I would have liked as I'm not paying 25% plus more for what they would have been not long ago. It is going to be tough, as we'll also have foreign buyers taking anything we've got for sale here. I know if an outside country's currency dropped like ours, I'd be looking to see what vintage I could get my hands on from them.

Sad times, but I've got myself a nice little MOC collection, and am quite happy to sit back and ride this all out. I'll keep my eye out for the odd cheap little ones that catch my eye in the meantime.

indianawars

Sith Lord
In hindsight, there were a few pieces I should have grab prior, but I can't do much about that now.
I guess we'll have to ride this one out fellas... not much else we can do about it :lol:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Mr-shifter said:

Probably in the long term as well, long term meaning 5 - 10 years, the hole thing is a complete mess and proof that democracy stops working when you start asking the population to make huge life changing decisions and actually act on them although nothing is legally binding. I won't be posting in this thread again as I am so angry about it all.

All the referendum has done is expose how racist our country is.

lejackal

Grand Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
I've bought something from the US today and it cost a great deal more than it should have.
But if it's the Hoth related piece I think it is it's bloody lovely

Lindo

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
Mr-shifter said:

Probably in the long term as well, long term meaning 5 - 10 years, the hole thing is a complete mess and proof that democracy stops working when you start asking the population to make huge life changing decisions and actually act on them although nothing is legally binding. I won't be posting in this thread again as I am so angry about it all.

Talk some more **** my friend

maxf

Jedi Master
theforceuk said:
Mr-shifter said:

Unfortunately, I can see it taking a good 10 years to unravel and get back to 'normal'. However, some sectors of the economy could be lost forever with precious little coming in to replace them. In 10 years time we'll have the economic prowess of Portugal or Spain if the government doesnt pull their fingers out of their arses and start making some tough decisions.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
lejackal said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:
I've bought something from the US today and it cost a great deal more than it should have.
But if it's the Hoth related piece I think it is it's bloody lovely

Glad you agree, mate. With the prices of preprod pieces over here it still seemed like a great deal and such large pieces don't seem to come up too often. Although I'm kicking myself for not having Andy's Wampa when it was at a reasonable price. Would have made a cool little set!

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Lindo said:
theforceuk said:
Mr-shifter said:

Talk some more **** my friend

Let's keep this civil and non-political, please. Drama belongs on FB not here :) I didn't start this as a stirring exercise only as an observation on what appears to be worst fears confirmed in our cosy little marketplace.

punk_pat

Jedi Knight
The 6 months prior to the Brexit vote I spent in the region of £30,000 on vintage star wars.

Post vote, I've spent £75.

First year in over a decade I've not been able to go to Vegas either.

Needless to say, I'm not too keen on Brexit.

"What have we done to ourselves"

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
I used to buy vintage abroad to sell to you guys but that won't happen any more.

I suppose it gives us an opportunity to consolidate and maybe trade or sell the odd piece for more than we would have got before. Collections won't be expanding quite so fast that's for sure.

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
An item I've been watching on eBay, seller is European, has risen around £400 as the GBP has fallen. It's still the same amount of euros.

So the impact is pretty massive on the 1500+ quid stuff.

Won't be picking up much, as I'm not prepared to pay 500-1000 quid more just cos of brexit lol.

Sucky for us. Less competition for the euro and US folks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom