Haven't lost my mojo; have lost my finances

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
Similar to the thread that was started a few days ago about losing one's mojo, what have you guys done when you are in a place where your finances don't support purchasing ANYTHING, even if it's just a $5 figure?

I recently moved my family and the expenses of a new home are such that I can't in good conscious purchase ANYTHING right now, not even relatively inexpensive stuff.

But of course, as the wheels of the collecting world continue to spin, of course amazing items that I collect - Han Solo, displays, etc. - have come up and I have had to pass. It's the absolute worst! Lol

Not sure if I am really looking for any advice as I know I just need to resist temptation for the next few months / year, but it's so damn hard!!!!!!

maxf

Jedi Master
I suppose its about planning a display, maybe researching new avenues to collect when finances allow OR, looking at what you have in your collection which you don't love anymore and could sell or trade towards something you would still love.

Or do a kickstarter for your underoo website ;)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I had a two year period about 6 years ago where their was no way I could justify purchasing anything that was not essential to every day life. Was tuff and I have to admit it was hard looking and not being able to buy and I packed everything vintage I owned away to stop anyone suggesting I should sell some of the vintage items, out of sight out of mind!

Was nice when I got back into purchasing though. :p

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
It's a long haul game, vintage will be there when finances are justified in the future, in the interim, research, find out new things, and you never know Santa may bring something :D

Richard_H

Grand Master
I've not been in that situation so I'm talking hypothetically here.

I'm more than happy picking up £1 items on ebay. Erasers, oddball stuff.... fly under the radar items. If I was really wanting something I'd sell something I know I could get back again even if the price would be higher in a few months/years time.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I had to sell some stuff when I bought a property a few years back, as above I just made sure I only sold stuff that was fairly high value but easy to replace (eg Luke MOCs.) If something comes up that you NEED but can't justify the cash, you could put it on a credit card and sell something easily replaceable before the bill is due.

x-pack

Grand Master
This might sound selfish but i consider the proceeds of sales of my own hobby type items fair game. For example, i sold a camera recently and the cash from that is sat in PayPal to spend on whatever I choose. Wages go in the bank for bills and stuff.

I don't like selling things and having the cash used for boring household things. If i was skint it'd be a different story.

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
I always try and set my budget , however there is always a reality that I will not own everything I want , and space to display it all .

However doesn't always work !! and I have to sell to pay for my addiction :evil: :lol:

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
I have seen the pictures you have put up on your facebook profile Ross, your new home looks really nice and I bet the family love it.

Spend a bit of time getting the display room up and running. There's nothing I like more than cataloging and displaying my pieces.

My next big job is photographing and electronically cataloguing my collection so I know exactly what I have.

maxf

Jedi Master
Mr-shifter said:
My next big job is photographing and electronically cataloguing my collection so I know exactly what I have.

That's a really useful thing to do, it's fun and also helps with insurance and boring stuff like that. I have a spreadsheet with all of my purchases on it - on the rare occasion I sell something I note the sale price and who it went to as well. Top tip - even 'just out of interest', NEVER add the purchase price column up!

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
I've had periods where I've not been able to afford to buy anything due to being out of work etc.

I think I've purchased myself one cheap cardback in the last 2 months due to going into the red at the end of the month.

Being a star wars collector is much more than just collecting stuff. Free/cheap things you can do:-

1) If you must have the thrill of a package arriving, buy something really cheap rather than a MOC.

2) Open up your storage boxes. They'll be stuff in there you forgot you had. It's like a fresh purchase.

3) Sell some stuff to fund getting some new stuff

4) Have a makeover on your collection room

5) Do some research or write some articles or update your web site if you have one. I think I have about 30 pages still to write on mine.

6) Socialize at events or cons. Meeting up with fellow collectors is reward enough, don't feeling you have to buy something there as well.

Hope that helps!

cheers Jason

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
mr_palitoy said:
I've had periods where I've not been able to afford to buy anything due to being out of work etc.

I think I've purchased myself one cheap cardback in the last 2 months due to going into the red at the end of the month.

Being a star wars collector is much more than just collecting stuff. Free/cheap things you can do:-

1) If you must have the thrill of a package arriving, buy something really cheap rather than a MOC.

2) Open up your storage boxes. They'll be stuff in there you forgot you had. It's like a fresh purchase.

3) Sell some stuff to fund getting some new stuff

4) Have a makeover on your collection room

5) Do some research or write some articles or update your web site if you have one. I think I have about 30 pages still to write on mine.

6) Socialize at events or cons. Meeting up with fellow collectors is reward enough, don't feeling you have to buy something there as well.

Hope that helps!

cheers Jason

Wise words... I definitely do number 4 a lot in the lean weeks and months

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I'm in the same sort of boat Ross. Don't have much spare cash at the mo. Have had a lot going on this year - surgery, moved house and had a baby amongst other things. Life has just taken over for a while and I've had more important things to do and spend money on than collecting. Rather than buying for my collection have been selling all sorts of things on ebay! As others have suggested I have enjoyed buying a few other cheaper items like posters, cardbacks and promotional items. Also have a new found appreciation for more beat up stuff rather than pristine. It is sometimes frustrating when you can't buy what you'd like but I've realised just lately that they're only toys and it's not that important. Also got to be happy looking at everything you have already got :)

spoons

Grand Master
I was much the same when I moved Ross. Sold a few things off to free up cash but otherwise kept active on the forums and started buying again when we were settled.

It will pass quickly

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom