Are Yellow Bubbles more prone to problems and how less desirable do they make the item to a collector?

Green Crossbow

Youngling
Hi

Will a yellow bubble be more prone to problems (bubble cracking or bubble lifting) than a clear transparent one?

in % terms how much of a negative to a collector is a yellow bubble, how much does it devalue the figure by and is it difficult to resell?

Thank you for your time.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Green Crossbow said:
Hi

Will a yellow bubble be more prone to problems (bubble cracking or bubble lifting) than a clear transparent one?

in % terms how much of a negative to a collector is a yellow bubble, how much does it devalue the figure by and is it difficult to resell?

Thank you for your time.

The yellowing bubble will last approximately 7 years 49 days 11 hours and 32 minutes before falling off the card, and then turning to dust on the floor, from the first day yellowing is seen.

It is precisely 37.5082% more of a negative to 135% of collectors, devalues the figure by exactly £159.45 and makes it 56/100 to resell.

Hope that helps.

Richard_H

Grand Master
I'm no bubble expert but I believe that all bubbles will turn yellow eventually. It's too simplistic to say that some will crack sooner than others as there are too many variables to take into account.

They are less desirable to most people though. However, I'd rather have a yellow bubble than pay a silly premium for a clear one.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
The yellowing is a result of the plastic degrading over time. They weren't supposed to be around 40 years plus. The more yellowed they are generally the more brittle and prone to damage they are. Collectors tend to appreciate that all bubbles will eventually yellow in time so there is an degree of the inevitable about it. That said, clear bubble examples that remain fetch a significant premium on most Jedi and POTF cards (and many ESB these days), which can be as much as 10× the price of yellowed bubbles. A bit silly if they are all going to yellow eventually anyway.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Great, sensible answers guys. Almost verbatim to the answers given in his previous thread:

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32356&start=15

It's a ridiculous question. It depends on the cardback/figure combination. If its a one of three known the yellowing will make very little difference. If it's something as common as muck it will make a lot of difference but if it's common it won't be worth that much to start with, so it won't really.

Why worry about resale values? Do you have these cards already and are trying to sell or are you buying to flip them? Another 'investor' maybe?

It depends on the buyer. Some people won't mind, other people will. Some people will look at yellowed bubbles ask the same questions about them again and again and ignore all the answers they are given.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
"Are Yellow Bubbles more prone to problems and how less desirable do they make the item to a collector?"

Fail to see how it's a ridiculous question. Often asked maybe so perhaps a bit lazy but simple answer is easy enough to give again any time someone asks.

Yes they are more prone to problems and yes they do make carded figures less desirable. If a clear bubble alternative exists it will fetch a significant premium. Clearly the effect on value depends on the figure (but put a CB example of any common Jedi figure next to a yellow one and watch it fly). Silly perhaps but it's up to the buyer how they spend their money.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Green Crossbow said:

Answer that then.

And yes, I agree that the first part of the question was a reasonable thing to ask, but since it had already been answered in his last thread, in an almost identical fashion, it seemed a bit of a pointless thing to keep asking.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
This is a collectors forum, you know, to collect... It is not a forum for gaining advice in order to maximise the profit you may make from the hobby. If you wish to collect the series of questions you ask should not be about resale value... no matter how many threads you start to ask the exact same question... :roll:

Lindo

Sith Lord
Mr shifter you seem to have a problem with this new member, of course people care about value, if I buy something for 200 I'd like to know if when I come to sell it that it won't devalue taking into account variables. So I would class it as a valid question

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Any question mildly relating to value is treated with cynicism, although any collector in any hobby should have half an eye on value. If you don't you are either extremedy rich or stupid. Nobody wants to throw money away so you aim to pay 'market value' (whatever that is) or a little under if you can. If it's something wildly rare or high on your want list you may overpay but that's up to you. Most of the critism of FB on here is uneducated new collectors spending silly money and driving up prices, yet when someone asks a sensible question about cost and value (maybe a little too specifically in terms of exact %) they get shot down by the authorities.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
1. I am not the authorities. That would be the moderators and edd. I have never claimed to be such.

2. I don't have it In for this new member. What I did was express an opinion on grading, which you didn't seem to like, lindo, and if you try to pick me up on something I feel I have a justified reason to base my opinion on, then I am going to argue that point. I seem to remember the best you could offer was "pffft". It's an open forum where ideas and opinions may be discussed.

3. The guy was given a load of advice on his other thread. Good advice from other members. Why does he need to keep asking the same question, which is what this is. How many threads do you want him/her to create asking the same things?

4. 5 posts in. Who is this valuable new member? No introduction, no posts on any other threads. Just questions on how to maximise a return on buying a moc and how to buy one.

Facebook garners massive criticism for driving up prices, ignorant people posting stupid questions and greed driving the market. These are things I feel are ruining the hobby, and I know Danny will agree with me there. I read threads like this and just get deja vu.

Honestly, what reasonable individual asks a question about what % of desirability will a yellow bubble reduce value by and how much value will it take off? What happened to people collecting for the love of collecting or having any kind of affinity with the items they are collecting?

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
It's a gamble and like any form of gambling, only spend what you can afford and afford to lose. Buy what makes you happy but accept it might not be around forever.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Merry Christmas ****sticks!! Chill out a bit lads, hardly worth getting your knockers in a twist over. I think part of the question is perfectly valid (although there has been a huge piece on degredation of plastic on one of the podcasts and as Ben pointed out it's been discussed here before) and the other part is pretty daft/impossible to answer. Yes yellow bubbles are more prone to problems. It's physics, the plastic becomes brittle and therefore breaks more easily. I've seen no evidence to make me believe that bubbles lift/glue fails more because they're yellow. Yes they make the item less desirable to some collectors but not to others. Because of this obviously clear bubbles command higher prices.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom