What's your price?

TrisCompany

Jedi Knight
There seems to be an increasing number of lots on ebay of whole collections, mostly loose figures going up for sale. I was thinking that if some of the community took some photos and listed their collection you could hang out a price for your collection that if somebody bought could be life changing. For example if the prices continued to rise there would be nothing to stop somebody from listing some of their unique and potentially one of a kind items for a million quid- taking a random number there for effect, could be a 100k or 10 mil but hopefully you see my point. There's nothing to stop somebody from doing that and only takes one v rich buyer to want to buy history. Does there come a point where even though you love your collection the money becomes so great you could change your life by selling it?

spoons

Grand Master
I'd definitely sell for a life changing price. Something as simple as bing mortgage free means a 9-5 is less key and there is more time to spend with the family (or start a new SW collection).

Unfortunately I dont think anyone will pay over the odds for anything I own :)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
There are some things in my collection I genuinely wouldn't sell. It usually comes down to how easy they are to replace, and obviously thing like my childhood figures and early collection items are irreplaceable so I wouldn't sell or trade those for anything.

I think I could probably sell most of my collection for double what I paid due to recent price rises and savvy buying, but that wouldn't be enough to make me sell as it would be very difficult to replace them all again.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I would also not sell for a big money. I have items in my collection that I think I would never find again for sale or trade and the few childhood items
I have I would also not sell or trade away. So nothing is for sale even for the big money.

CaptainAntilles

Padawan
i sold a few of my childhood figures on ebay to fund other purchases , got crap money for them

totally regret it now , the few that i have left i would not sell regardless of what was offered

lejackal

Grand Master
If it would help my family then yes, I'd sell, I have had to sell stuff previously rather than get into debt or tap into savings. It's the responsible thing to do for me

sith-smith

Grand Master
For an emergency, not a problem, it gets sold.

For any price at any other time, I'm not sure.

I have been offered 3 times what I spent on something - which has been a very high sum. But, I could probably have never replaced what I sold and the money would have just sat in the bank while I waited for something I wanted for my collection to turn up. There was no real reason.

As for a life changing sum of money - not sure what that would actually be...or what the change would be.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes my collection wouldn't scratch the surface of my mortgage so there's no real financial gain for selling it.

theguiltyone

Sith Lord
I've sold pieces in recent years that 10 years ago I never ever would have imagined I would regardless of the offer.
Not always an easy decision but definitely for me it's a case of out of sight, out of mind.
If I got a good offer now for the remaining collection I'd probably take it but I'd go to the pub while the gear was being removed from my gaff, don't think I'd like to watch.

chiffy

Sith Lord
Agree with most comments already. I have sold items to pay bills, debts etc but nothing that i knew i couldnt get back for around the same price when i had the money spare. Ive also been lucky enough, and bright enough, to buy doubles of quite a few of my various collections so sitting on them till they command a decent price has worked wonders for me. Add to that buying stuff off brilliant peeps off here saves an awful lot of funds too.
I could sell my collection and take the family on the best holiday to Florida Disneyworld that they all dream of instead of promising we will be able to afford it 1 day but then , to me, it's not a material thing so after 2 weeks of luxury, fun and gluttony it would be just memories. Good memories of course but i'd rather just leave it to the kids, mature in value, then they can have an even better time of things and hopefully think of me whilst theyre enjoying their star wars inheritance!
Some people's life changing amount of money is probably alot different to mine. I often struggle to make ends meet and after paying various shite out monthly, have a small amount left to go out for a beer and football which is my biggest passion. My job pays shite but i dont work weekends so i am happy with that aslong as my kids get everything they want which they do, apart from Florida of course, so in a nutshell, unless some drongo offered me 5 times what it was worth, then it's staying put! Sounds daft but winning a grand on 1 of my many footy bets 1 Saturday would work wonders to keep me out of my overdraft for just 1 month alone so i'm not greedy :D

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I think most peoples collections, mine included are worth more than the sum of their parts. The value in what they're worth to you sentimentally and what it represents in terms of time, effort and money putting it all together with the emphasis on time makes it almost impossible to put a value on. I've noticed some people collect quickly, putting whole runs or complete loose sets together in a year or two. I collect slowly and if I sold my whole collection now I couldn't be bothered to start again in all honesty. That would be the end of it. Mine's not worth that much and what I get out of my collection is worth more to me than a few grand in cash. However all collections are different and if mine was worth tens of thousands right now, it would be gone.

grinchy

Sith Lord
I collect both modern and vintage, the vintage is a loose run with a few last seventeen to, not worth a lot maybe a couple of grand, also have some MOC all jedi common cards not worth a lot, in with that lot is my childhood collection, which is priceless to me.
Its all laid out on display in my man cave, since my stroke I've enjoyed spending time up there, rearranging stuff, pottering round, so it would have to be a lot of cash to make me part with it,its not worth that much in pounds but in therapy its been a great help

reddogblues

Padawan
I could never, ever see me selling my childhood figures...

They other things I have collected in adulthood, while I would never contemplate actively looking to sell them, if some crazy multi-millionaire offered me enough money for them to never have to work again and make my family secure, I would snap their hand off!

maxf

Jedi Master
Mortgage free is a nice goal - if my collection could do that I'd be tempted to sell up (it is multiples off at the moment ;) ). But otherwise, I'm not too bothered - what am I going to do with the money? New car? Holidays? All fleeting compared to SW.

spoons

Grand Master
grinchy said:
I collect both modern and vintage, the vintage is a loose run with a few last seventeen to, not worth a lot maybe a couple of grand, also have some MOC all jedi common cards not worth a lot, in with that lot is my childhood collection, which is priceless to me.
Its all laid out on display in my man cave, since my stroke I've enjoyed spending time up there, rearranging stuff, pottering round, so it would have to be a lot of cash to make me part with it,its not worth that much in pounds but in therapy its been a great help

That's worth a lot more than money Grinchy

Frunkstar

Grand Master
It's a grand old question this, I am hugely passionate about my collection & I do get a lot out of it as well as the friends I have made through it, it's a subject I have thought about before & if an offer was made for a life changing sum that would get my family a home we owned outright & enough to keep the wolves from our door for the rest of our lives I would sell up in the blink of an eye, don't get me wrong I would be heartbroken & would miss is without doubt, but with other things I have loved & lost through this life, plastic toys no matter how dear & meaningful to my head & my heart would be thrown to the 4 winds if I could better my families lives through it's sale, though my only remaining childhood figure & the 2 my friend sent me from Germany that we played with as kids would stay.

Saying that my collection would not buy me a rickety old shed in the Shetlands so it's a bit of a mute point, anyone want to give me 1 million quid for some figures in sandwich bags? - now is your chance :wink:

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Well I have sold up a couple of sets in the past as some of u know as I had lump sum offers I couldn't refuse :!: I have never sold up everything I have had though which I am glad about as it would have been a tragedy to do that. As Frank said my childhood collection will go nowhere but to b fair the average childhood collection isn't going to bring life changing sums of money however it holds value far more special than money :!:

Kenner76

Padawan
I don't think I could put a price on my collection. I accumulated everything because of my love Star Wars and because it brings me happiness. I don't think of selling as prices keep rising, I just remember how fortunate I am to have gotten what I did get before the prices went through the roof. Many of us couldn't afford our collections today. I don't think lots of money would bring me as much enjoyment as my collection does. If I was struggling to put food on the table or to make my mortgage payment, I might think others wise. Another thing to be grateful for.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom