Customs Help!

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
boba76
Regular
Regular

Customs Help!

Post by boba76 »

I have recently purchased an item from the states . This morning I received a four page document from Parcel Force in relation to customs (notice of arrival of goods). They want me to tell them the cost of the item , provide proof of purchase etc etc .

This is the first time I have received anything like this despite buying quite a bit from the US. I have previously had to pay fees to release items but never had anything like this..

Is this a new thing or have people had the same experience? I don't particularly want to send any bank details etc to these guys just to prove a worth of a vintage toy.

Cheers
lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Customs Help!

Post by lejackal »

Show them a receipt for a £20 item instead?

No idea mate but interested to see the outcome.
maxf
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by maxf »

Is the value listed as low or is it all above board?

If it's just them being nosy, then just send them the invoice/paypal page and be done with it. If you've declared a $1000 item as an $18 gift you might have to come clean!
Looking for Palitoy mailers and MOCs...

Detailed WTB list here: http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32243
boba76
Regular
Regular

Post by boba76 »

not sure what the seller has documented the item price wise or gift etc . I just sent a message to them so I will see what they say.
plantman
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by plantman »

tricky one, if the seller has marked it lower than actual value then you either have to continue the lie and provide false value of proof/sale or just come clean with the invoice from the actual purchase and take the tax hit :(
"These ARE the droids your looking for...now how much for the pair?"
Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Bonsai_Tree_Ent »

Most important thing is to state the item qualifies as ‘Old Collectable Toy’ HMRC code 9705000090 and should be charged at only 5% VAT.

(edit, I am presuming the item is vintage)
steve obi wan
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by steve obi wan »

Tell them nothing , I was stung for a £10 clearance fee. What a lot of bollocks , trying to get every penny out of you !!
Steve ,

Reliving my child hood , only this time I have to spend my own money !
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by jayums »

Agreed. Tell them nothing!!

If the seller had told them the value of the item they wouldn't be asking you for the info.
= They know nothing and want you to do their job for them.
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by jayums »

Bonsai_Tree_Ent wrote:Most important thing is to state the item qualifies as ‘Old Collectable Toy’ HMRC code 9705000090 and should be charged at only 5% VAT.

Yep, but 5% of what ?!

OP - They don't know the value of the item as otherwise you'd be receiving a bill from them instead. If push comes to shove declare it as a toy sample and that you paid under a tenner for it. They can't proove otherwise.
boba76
Regular
Regular

Post by boba76 »

many thanks for the replies guys.
Leemcl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Leemcl »

Wow. What a crock of shit !

Firstly, in theory how do you know what someone else sent to you ? It could be anything. How on earth could you know 100% what it is they have ?

Secondly, even if you did know what the item is, how can you determine the retail value of something ? When sold retail it might have been £1.59. It might have been £3000 who knows ? What you pay is not the legal commercial value of the item !

These officious c#nts make me so angry. They are doing this just for the revenue. Not for any moral reasons
maxf
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by maxf »

Bonsai_Tree_Ent wrote:Most important thing is to state the item qualifies as ‘Old Collectable Toy’ HMRC code 9705000090 and should be charged at only 5% VAT.

Exactly! I've posted this before too. All my items come insured now, I pay the customs charge then get a cheque back for the vast majority of it a few weeks after requesting it.
Looking for Palitoy mailers and MOCs...

Detailed WTB list here: http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32243