Can't see the wood for the trees.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Been thinking lately although I consider myself very lucky to have a good size collection with all my childhood items to display, do I appreciate each individual item as I should? When I get a new MOC I keep it in different parts of the house for about a week, lounge, kitchen and bed side table really appreciating it. :? :D Then When it's added to the main display it just becomes a small part of my collection and another step towards my next collecting goal, but do I forget about it in an unconscious way?

Probably over thinking things to much, or have I got to bigger collection and I don't no how to enjoy it? Looking at most collections on here mine is only the fraction the size of many and there is still loads to collect. :)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
No you're not the only one, 90% of my collection is stored away. Some people say I might as well sell it, but my goal is to one day have a house big enough to display it all. And it is nice now and again pulling it all out and having a rummage!

Lindo

Sith Lord
I know what you mean but can say I would be getting **** all from the missus if I had them on the bedside cabinet :p

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
I have all my childhood stuff stored away and occasionally get it out and put the weapons in hand and take a few photos. I also get my old cardbacks out. Then put it away again.
The vehicles remain boxed though.

I only display vintage acquisitions that I've bought over the last two years with some modern stuff.
I've only got two MOC (ree yees and Canadian Leia poncho), one reseal and an Emperor mailer.
These get pride of place, apart from the Leia which I've also put away.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
When I get something Vintage it goes straight in the cabinet/display. I don't see the point in having things if I can't display them and see them all the time. Having said that I do know exactly what you mean, there's always compromises and often new things are out of site even if not in storage. I can't see all my Vintage Mocs because they're in a cabinet with ones behind. I rotate and change the ones at the front every now and then. I also have several boxes of modern Star Wars that I do consider part of my collection but have nowhere to display it. I too would like a display room eventually where you can see everything and with a small modern display. Good to have long term goals, keeps you moving forward :wink:

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Seems there is a common yearning for a display room but whether or not it will ever happen is another thing. I have some vintage music posters and other bits I would like to display also, but it's all about space. The most practical thing is just to rotate pieces, as an art gallery or museum would do. A main part of the fun of collecting is hunting for new pieces, even if they do end up in a cupboard for a while. The other thing to consider is you may be protecting your pieces from fading by not having them out permanently?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I am always a bit jealous in the Facebook groups when our American friends are showing off their collecting rooms, some of them are bigger than my flat! Unfortunately in this part of the world it's just not possible to get that kind of space.

Gaz46&2

Padawan
Before I had kids, I used to display some of my stuff but not all of it. It simply wasn't possible. Instead, I used one of those Ikea detolf cabinets and once a month I'd change the display and dust everything. Sometimes it was vintage, other times it was modern or non-star wars. I thought of it as being like a window display. It worked well for me and almost everything had its time in the limelight.

Even if I had space, displaying everything would be a massive pain the arse. There would be endless stuff falling over and collecting dust. I couldn't do it.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I think the size of your collection defines your display. In general ( I know it is for me!) we can't display throughout the house !Palitoy and Kenner don't theme well with Laura Ashely :lol:
I have a small area that is slowly taking a spare room ( slowly on purpose :lol: ) but I do purposely go into that room regularly, take look, move things around a little, stand back and smile :D
Our hobby to us is a passion, but to others at best an indulgence, if you do, as with all things in life, step back and see your collection from another's point of view, it puts things into perspective and understanding that point of view is what makes us considerate, but a tolerant Wife or partner is the key to display :D
Have to go now, I have 4 floating shelves to put up :lol:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I must admit I'm questioning my baggie collection at the moment. As individual items I love them, but they look **** on display (sorry Frank!) and are just sitting in a box. Even if I had space I don't know what I would do with them. Loose figures look great on display, so do MOCs, baggies.... meh.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
I must admit I'm questioning my baggie collection at the moment. As individual items I love them, but they look **** on display (sorry Frank!) and are just sitting in a box. Even if I had space I don't know what I would do with them. Loose figures look great on display, so do MOCs, baggies.... meh.

I was the same, started collecting baggies and a few graded loose and a few cut cards. Realised I was trying to have a bit of everything, which is fine but I don't really like baggies and would rather spend money on things I like and want to finish. Sold nearly all of it, I've only got an Emperor and an Ackbar now in mailaway box with catalogues, just to have a couple. Baggies do look shite and with all this scandal going on I'm glad I didn't go there.

Palifan

Sith Lord
I have the same problem of having to many things to put out on display at one time. I'm not sure I would even want everything out at once though as it would take up a lot of space and make me feel that bit too much of a man child! :lol:

I have one cabinet that I regularly rotate items in and wouldn't mind adding one more for some of my 12" figures, that would do me though as it's exciting getting things out of storage every now and then and getting them on display, keeps things fresh!

Ian

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
I am always a bit jealous in the Facebook groups when our American friends are showing off their collecting rooms, some of them are bigger than my flat! Unfortunately in this part of the world it's just not possible to get that kind of space.

Move to Horsham. Worked for me.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Put your baggies in Acrylic cases, graded if your that way inclined, or GW with the sliders on the base.
I love baggies on display 8) need some more cases myself.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 665
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 647

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
95% of mine boxed up, can't wait for the day I can finally unpack it all. Might not appreciate each piece when looking at it as a whole but sure you'll return and enjoy them individually over time.

edd_jedi said:
And it is nice now and again pulling it out and having a tug!

Ok Edd, interesting to know I'm sure, but bit personal and off topic

indianawars

Sith Lord
This was my problem too. Every time I brought something new, the novelty soon wore off and it just became part of the collection. I've owned some very desirable items, but once you have it, it stops being desirable after a while... well, that's how I find it anyway.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I think research and educating yourself within the hobby, opens up new avenues and certain things will trigger certain behaviours in different people. For example you may pay over the odds for a piece you had as a kid, you then look at it and research it and see there are other versions of it with cool differences, hey presto your off on a run of Boxed X Wings, then you want a loose luke x wing figure, then a Moc , before you know it Youve assembled several items that take up room!
Again, for me, it's about collecting what you want and what makes YOU smile.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I think half of my problem is I only collect MOC now and they are so expensive I spend ages searching for the next one I need or want. When I finally get it I'm very happy but completely bankrupt by the purchase. :lol:

Some good points being made, I often see posts saying collect what makes you happy and I did that for years. Then I realised one day I don't even have a complete loose run after years of collecting. Since then I have only collected runs, perhaps I've gone from one extreme to the other?

To be honest I need a budget of about £1000 a month to spend on vintage Star Wars to feed my cravings and even then I would be uncomfortable spending that sort of money. :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom