Repro vehicle stickers

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
Hi

Hopefully I won't be beaten to death bye this question but what are thoughts on the repro stickers for vehicles are they seen as bad as weapons or more acceptable.

The reason I ask is I'm reconditioning my old snowspeeder. I have purchased all original replacement parts except the tow cable I can't find one under £25 so will look hard at toy fairs.

I no this is not figure related I would just like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
Personally I'm against any repro stickers. I'd rather have a used toy 'as is'.

Seen far too many examples on eBay where the seller states it's all original and when you look at the pics the stickers are the wrong size/colour

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I am also against any repro stickers unless we are talking about some guys makeing a custom made vehicle or a custom made r2 or r5 unit.

yoda

Sith Lord
You could keep it as it is with the original parts. Then you could buy yourself a complete snowpeeder and you wouldn't have to touch your own. I think its nice leaving the figures and vehicles as they are if they are from your own toys.

jayums

Jedi Master
My view is that's it's your stuff so you can do what you like with it. Let's face it, in the grand scheme of things, life is too short to worry about **** like this!

Personally it's not something I would do as I happen to prefer the look of most vehicles without the stickers.

So I really don't see any harm in using them for a restoration project for your own enjoyment. As always the issue with reproduction is when it is passed off as being authentic by assholes; but then that is as much a people problem as it is a repro sticker problem.

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
Thanks for your thoughts.

The snowspeeder was not mine as a child it is just an old one i had and was very dirty and i just wanted it to look new. I would
not sell it off or pass it on as original stickers if i ever was to part with it but i might just leave it nude.

Cheers

jayums

Jedi Master
Stubbs said:
Thanks for your thoughts.

The snowspeeder was not mine as a child it is just an old one i had and was very dirty and i just wanted it to look new. I would
not sell it off or pass it on as original stickers if i ever was to part with it but i might just leave it nude.

Cheers

I think that's the best thing to do.

For one it's cheaper! - And if your snowspeeder has a bit of age to it, you might well find modern repro stickers just don't quite look right. Best to let her grow old gracefully and buy another one complete - plenty about and they're inexpensive.

A

Anonymous

It's really up to you what you do as it is your toy.

I do some replacement stickers, or some custom stickers. Just depends on how battered the ship is. A lot of people just want to make a childhood toy look nice again. And for that replacement stickers work really well.

Cheers

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
Toy Polloi

It was your youtube video that inspired me to give it a new lease of life. Great channel really enjoy as i love action man also.

Gaz46&2

Padawan
I bought some repro slave 1 stickers years ago. I bought them before I got the Slave 1 which I already knew was missing the stickers. Unfortunately, the slave 1 I received stunk like a dead cat when it arrived. As much as it pains me to say it: I threw the slave 1 and the stickers in the bin.

x-pack

Grand Master
Don't bother. Firstly if you buy repro you are funding and justifying the manufacturing of these things. Secondly repros are crap and you ar least will know it's not the real deal.

The quality on reproduction stickers is really terrible. Just clean it up and leave nice and nude

Awl Skulkerkey

Padawan
Agreed that repro stickers have their market. Not for me though as I think it could inevitably poison the wider vintage market - so if it is sold on, it should be stated as repro then everyone knows where they stand? So if sold to 3rd party in future, stated again. Personally I'm old school and think any repro items, whether it's stickers or weapons etc should be banished to 'a galaxy far far away!'

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Always a sensitive subject this, in other collecting circles repros are accepted and even encouraged/preferred, but you will find generally vintage SW collectors are against them. Personally although I don't use them myself or actively encourage it, as others have said it's yours to do what you like with.

I'm a member of a MASK Facebook group and yesterday somebody unpacked a NRFB set so he had a mint ship, putting the unused stickers on it and opening the sealed baggies etc. I had to grit my teeth as everyone else in the group seemed to think it was a great idea. That's just life.

spoons

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
Always a sensitive subject this, in other collecting circles repros are accepted and even encouraged/preferred, but you will find generally vintage SW collectors are against them. Personally although I don't use them myself or actively encourage it, as others have said it's yours to do what you like with.

I'm a member of a MASK Facebook group and yesterday somebody unpacked a NRFB set so he had a mint ship, putting the unused stickers on it and opening the sealed baggies etc. I had to grit my teeth as everyone else in the group seemed to think it was a great idea. That's just life.

Ouch!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom