At what age does it drop off?

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I saw a recent Facebook post and it got me thinking... It's a graph showing the demographics of one of the Star wars Facebook group's members. It seems obvious that most Vintage collectors start up their collections around the 35-45 age. There has been a lot of discussion as to why that is: nostalgia, disposable income, etc. However is there an age when people sell up? I know its hard to gauge with Star Wars as it's only been around 40 years but with older collections (Dinky, etc), is there a pattern as to when people lose interest?
Maybe the Facebook results show that older people don't use Facebook? Or is there a trend that interest drops off as we age?
Older members of my family have all wanted to declutter their houses and have gotten rid of a lot of their stuff. Does that happen with collectables or do most people collect 'til the very end?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 09.59.28.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 09.59.28.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 706

Dorsetmark

Jedi Master
I know my friends father collected Britons and had a very large collection and had spent a fortune over the years. But when he passed away at the age of 96 and my friend was left with selling them, most had dropped in value and were hard to shift as all the collectors had also passed away or to old to be interested. Most people collect for nostalgia so as our time passes so does interest in what we collect.
Look at Action Man it was right up there with collectibles now it's hard to shift. Those collectors are probably about 10 years older than the Star Wars generation.

subzero

Sith Lord
Apart from them being passed down, don't forget the other factor involved of an old collector all of a sudden having quickly growing up grandchildren who they'd want to support, and end up selling all their collectables for their grandkids futures.

Me personally I collect almost purely for the nostalgia, I don't collect anything I didn't have as a kid with the exception of Star Wars figures which I do collect some of what I didn't have, just because I want more badass figures to compliment the rest of my collection.

When will I sell up?.. I have no plan to ever sell them ever, or pass them down because I know if I did that then they wouldn't be appreciated by whoever receives them and know they will sell them off anyway. I'm the only one who will ever appreciate my toys they won't mean anything to anyone else, so I might as well enjoy looking at them for the rest of my life and sell them myself before i'm about to croak or I go blind :lol:

Weird thing is iv'e been nostalgic and fascinated about my past since as long as I can remember, I was nostalgic since about 7 or 8 years old thinking about toys I had when I was 4 or 5 ( like that was a long time ago lol ), and searching for toys out the cupboard at age 11 or 12 and reminiscing ( weird ). I first got into actually buying toys from my childhood though at around 21+

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
subzero said:
Weird thing is iv'e been nostalgic and fascinated about my past since as long as I can remember, I was nostalgic since about 7 or 8 years old thinking about toys I had when I was 4 or 5 ( like that was a long time ago lol ), and searching for toys out the cupboard at age 11 or 12 and reminiscing ( weird ). I first got into actually buying toys from my childhood though at around 21+

Thats funny. I think I'm the same, I've always been like that, I've always hoarded stuff from my past as I like looking back at it. Even when I was a kid. I remember hiding my Star Wars stuff in the loft in my early twenties and feeling nostalgic then. Not wanting to let the stuff go.

subzero

Sith Lord
Darth Bobby said:
subzero said:

Thats funny. I think I'm the same, I've always been like that, I've always hoarded stuff from my past as I like looking back at it. Even when I was a kid. I remember hiding my Star Wars stuff in the loft in my early twenties and feeling nostalgic then. Not wanting to let the stuff go.

I think some people are more naturally inclined to be sentimental than most others, I have memories of playing with certain toys with certain school friends and they're some of the most important and happy memories iv'e held onto. But when I meet that old friend many years later as an adult and I say "ahh do you remember when we used to play with blah blah", then they're like "nah don't remember that"...... WHAT??! haha!

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
A friend of mine sent me an interesting article recently. It says how ELVIS stuff has dramatically reduced in price and popularity. My friend collects old records and was saying how proud he was that he was going to hand down a nice vinyl collection to his son. His son was in earshot and said he would sell it on ebay as soon as his dad had gone! It's strange the value we put on stuff that is meaningless to others.

I guess the question is, do people lose interest? Does the nostalgia hit ever wear off?

Here is the link: https://www.theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2017/may/07/elvis-presley-memorabilia-plummeting-in-price

subzero

Sith Lord
I even remember being nostalgic about the cartoon Button Moon when I was about 7 lol, must have watched it when I was around 4 and it seemed like a lifetime ago when I was 7 :lol: I forgot what the cartoon was called and spent many days wondering about what that cool cartoon was. One day I explained it to a friend in school and he said "ahh that's Button Moon" and I was like "YESS!!!! that's it", I almost grabbed him out of excitement lmao! :D

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
subzero said:
Darth Bobby said:
subzero said:

I think some people are more naturally inclined to be sentimental than most others, I have memories of playing with certain toys with certain school friends and they're some of the most important and happy memories iv'e held onto. But when I meet that old friend many years later as an adult and I say "ahh do you remember when we used to play with blah blah", then they're like "nah don't remember that"...... WHAT??! haha!

Ha ha sounds like my mates too! Guess it just depends on the person? I think I've always been aware of time passing by.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
subzero said:
I even remember being nostalgic about the cartoon Button Moon when I was about 7 lol, must have watched it when I was around 4 and it seemed like a lifetime ago when I was 7 :lol: I forgot what the cartoon was called and spent many days wondering about what that cool cartoon was. One day I explained it to a friend in school and he said "ahh that's Button Moon" and I was like "YESS!!!! that's it", I almost grabbed him out of excitement lmao! :D

Good old Mr Spoon. Wonder where he is now? Probably working in a kitchen somewhere Ha ha!

subzero

Sith Lord
Darth Bobby said:
A friend of mine sent me an interesting article recently. It says how ELVIS stuff has dramatically reduced in price and popularity. My friend collects old records and was saying how proud he was that he was going to hand down a nice vinyl collection to his son. His son was in earshot and said he would sell it on ebay as soon as his dad had gone! It's strange the value we put on stuff that is meaningless to others.

I guess the question is, do people lose interest? Does the nostalgia hit ever wear off?

Here is the link: https://www.theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2017/may/07/elvis-presley-memorabilia-plummeting-in-price

There's also the discussion of 'will this also happen to Star Wars?'.. because it's such a massive part of pop culture it might never go away, the collecting trend will most likely drop years from now when all us lot are gone but there still might be hardcore collectors wanting the rare stuff who appreciate Star Wars history.

Iv'e thought about this before with 100, 200 year old collectable antiques that can be worth many thousands, obviously those people from that time aren't here anymore but there's still a strong enough market for collectors to pay high prices on them. Maybe because things from that long back are super rare, but also aren't a lot of Star Wars toys...? :?

Gaz46&2

Padawan
Some people don't even remember their childhood let alone get nostalgic about it. I was speaking to a 69-year-old recently and he didn't even know where he lived as a kid.

Your brain changes as you get older, for most other people (not the moron above) they get more sentimental and nostalgic as they get older. I reckon collectors will hold on to their collections and their kids will be working out how much they can get for them when their crusties pass on. I think I'll have myself buried with my collection, fill the gaps in the coffin with my loose figures and ships.

subzero

Sith Lord
FYI I think the same thing happened with the first Atari consoles in the mid 90's and very early ebay days they were going for £700 - £800+, now you can barely sell one for more than £20, it literally dropped off a cliff within several years and you're talking about such an iconic part of early gaming history here, not many want them now.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
subzero said:
Darth Bobby said:

There's also the discussion of 'will this also happen to Star Wars?'.. because it's such a massive part of pop culture it might never go away, the collecting trend will most likely drop years from now when all us lot are gone but there still might be hardcore collectors wanting the rare stuff who appreciate Star Wars history.

Iv'e thought about this before with 100, 200 year old collectable antiques that can be worth many thousands, obviously those people from that time aren't here anymore but there's still a strong enough market for collectors to pay high prices on them. Maybe because things from that long back are super rare, but also aren't a lot of Star Wars toys...? :?

I guess a lot depends on how the films go as to how it's viewed in the future. I think ill hang on to my stuff for as long as I can. I suppose finances are an issue too?

subzero

Sith Lord
Darth Bobby said:
subzero said:
Darth Bobby said:

I guess a lot depends on how the films go as to how it's viewed in the future. I think ill hang on to my stuff for as long as I can. I suppose finances are an issue too?

True, and they could even end up stopping making Star Wars films altogether when nobody cares much about it anymore. Thinking like this makes me not want to buy that MOC tri-logo Fett for £1000 because it could well be under £100 in future, which of course i'll buy if that ever happens 8)

olisuds

Sith Lord
I've heard the peak age for collecting in general is 55 due to greatest disposable income and time. If the average Star Wars collector' is now around 40 then I'd guess there are another 15 years till things level off and begin any sort of decline in interest and value.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
This is a topic I love :) I guess it's because if you crack this then you've cracked the entire collectibles market. I don't view SW as a source of income (exactly the opposite, actually) but I do buy and sell general collectibles: from medical instruments to board games.

As you quite rightly say, Scott, it's the nostalgia kick and Vintage SW is only really relevant to our generation. Sure you'll get the outliers of collectors in their teens and in their 60s, but the core is as old as the films, give or take 5 years. Yeah there is bound to be a SW market forever, but this old stuff only really means something to us. Parallels can be drawn with any other collectibles market you care to name. Antiques are a little different and have a market of their own. This is linked to tastes and fashion. Remember briwn Victorian furniture? A decent dining table and chairs would have cost you £1,500 10-15 years ago. Now you're talking £300. Same with all sorts of antique stuff. The market there is cyclical.

I'm a firm believer that when we're dead this stuff will be worth 20% of what it is now. It's one reason I can't bring myself to spend thousands on MOCs anymore but really hunt for bargains. No, I'm not buying as an investment but if I'm spending my kid's inheritance then I really don't want to lumber them her with a load of toys that she has zero interest in and are a pain to sell. I collect for me but I don't want it to be selfish, if you see what I mean.

We'll see collectors come and go, as with any hobby. We'll see prices rise and fall, as with any hobby. We'll the manufacturers reinventing the wheel (again and again and again in Hasbro's case) as with every hobby. But I don't think we'll see a solid decline in the market for 20 years. That's when the grown up us decide we need to really start thinking about our kids and grand kids. That's when we downsize (not give up) and sell off stuff. That's when supply outstrips demand.

Still, if the sell-off is linked to retirement age then the sell off won't occur until until our bloody 90s at this rate :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
Ah of course yes with antiques I didn't think of that, it's mostly about fashion and having 'that rare piece' that looks nice and can be shown off to others etc which is what fuels most of that market. That happens too with collectable toys to display and show off with but for the majority of it it is for nostalgia.

Priorities too, iv'e seen several comments from sellers about needing the cash for a mortgage deposit etc.

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
I think vintage Star Wars will see its end in the next ten years , I'm a bit younger than most vintage collectors I was born in 88 so missed all the toys in the shops but growing up in the early 90's my dad took me and my two brothers to carboots every Sunday and we amassed a huge collection 250+ figures half a dozen atats , scout walkers , falcons you name it we had it lol unfortunately it was all sold off when we moved house in 97 but I think I'm one of the few of the younger generation that vintage Star Wars actually means something to , when my dads generation has passed I don't think there will be the demand for the stuff maybe just a small group of younger collectors my age that will continue to collect ? My dad has already got to the point where he's selling off his collection and putting the money towards the grandchildren.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Very interesting. I guess you have to factor in life's other expenses and where priorities lie. With that I reckon this is a golden time to collect, yes the prices are insane but there's a massive buzz across the internet for vintage SW.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I agree that eventually interest (and prices) are bound to tail off, but I do suspect it won't be until the 35-55 year olds currently collecting (I'm 45, for what it's worth) start selling up to 'downsize' their lives / declutter, pay for their own care or help their own kids and grandchildren. But with new films coming out regularly, I can't see Star Wars popularity in general, and the interest in Vintage in particular diminishing for quite some time yet, so I reckon the 10-15 year estimate may be pretty good.

As for me? I have no plans on selling my stuff. Like most of us I suspect, I collect basically for the nostalgia. Just remember though, they don't make nostalgia like they used to ;-)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom