SWTOTW, Week 5, 2018, Part 1/2 Amanaman

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Amanaman:

amanaman.jpg

The first item for this week is Amanaman, I never had him when I was a kid so it was first in the early 00 that I got my first amanaman figure.

I will upload pictures later of my Amanaman collection.

You are all welcome to upload pictures of your amanaman collection :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Ok I got some pictures of my Amanaman collection, some years ago I also had a Power of Force moc production error with a missing staff. But after some thinking I traded it away for a jawa meccano moc because POTF moc did not mean much to me, it was not for sale in my country when I was a kid in the good old 80s. So it did not make me happy.

So this is what I have left :D

P1150983.JPG

P1150982.JPG

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Ok I got some pictures of my Amanaman collection, some years ago I also had a Power of Force moc production error with a missing staff. But after some thinking I traded it away for a jawa meccano moc because POTF moc did not mean much to me, it was not for sale in my country when I was a kid in the good old 80s. So it did not make me happy.

P1150983.JPG

P1150982.JPG
Three nice minty figures, three more than I have!
On the look out for a good POTF MOC ar present.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
When I first got back into collecting vintage in the early 90's and discovered the last 17 (about which I had previously been completely unaware, having stopped collecting figures in my childhood well before they were released), I was truly amazed to learn that Kenner had made an Amanaman. I didn't even recognize him as being a character from Return of the Jedi! He's such a background and frankly immobile character, that whenever he is on screen my attention was drawn to whatever else was going on rather than him. I must have watched Jedi at least a dozen times by then (a lot more now, of course ;-)), but was still gobsmacked that this was a Star Wars character AND that Kenner had bothered to make him... Having said all that, I instantly liked him! What's not to like? He's big and yellow :D and green! :mrgreen:

Anyway, here's my contribution; A POTF carded and a loose:

Amanaman 01.jpg

Amanaman 02.jpg

spoons

Grand Master
I was the same. Had no idea he existed, and didn't even recognise him as Star Wars first time I saw him

Some lovely looking big yellow fellows on display here :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mini99 said:
Pomse2001 said:

P1150983.JPG

P1150982.JPG
Three nice minty figures, three more than I have!
On the look out for a good POTF MOC ar present.

Thanks mate for the kind words, my 3 amanaman have different paint-mask variations :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
When I first got back into collecting vintage in the early 90's and discovered the last 17 (about which I had previously been completely unaware, having stopped collecting figures in my childhood well before they were released), I was truly amazed to learn that Kenner had made an Amanaman. I didn't even recognize him as being a character from Return of the Jedi! He's such a background and frankly immobile character, that whenever he is on screen my attention was drawn to whatever else was going on rather than him. I must have watched Jedi at least a dozen times by then (a lot more now, of course ;-)), but was still gobsmacked that this was a Star Wars character AND that Kenner had bothered to make him... Having said all that, I instantly liked him! What's not to like? He's big and yellow :D and green! :mrgreen:

Anyway, here's my contribution; A POTF carded and a loose:

Amanaman 01.jpg
Amanaman 02.jpg

Beautiful amanaman moc and figure that you have 8) It also took me many years before I knew about amanaman. I think it was first in the late 90s or early 00 that I learned about him :oops:

Oracle

Padawan
Two views of my Amanaman, minty loose and back in the bubble.
Bubble is still attached to card.

I remember hunting the Tesco bargain bin for this, and I think that's why the bubble is a bit battered in the corners.
The bend on the staff was like that from day 1.

To me it was an interesting figure (but not really a favourite) as it wasn't the same form factor as the others, with the larger bubble and solid neck I always thought it was a left over from one of the playsets.

Attachments

• Amanaman_In_bubble.jpg
    Amanaman_In_bubble.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,143
  • Amanaman.jpg
    Amanaman.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,149

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Oracle said:

I remember hunting the Tesco bargain bin for this, and I think that's why the bubble is a bit battered in the corners.

To me it was an interesting figure (but not really a favourite) as it wasn't the same form factor as the others, with the larger bubble and solid neck I always thought it was a left over from one of the playsets.
That a childhood figure!
Wow, you certainly were careful and looked after it and the cardback well.
Lots of lovley Amanamn's on here, still looking for a nice MOC!

Oracle

Padawan
Mini99 said:
That a childhood figure!

I was careful - my first figure was chewed by the dog and I remember being so upset I took great care of all the rest. I'm slowly archiving/photographing my collection and will hopefully get to share a few favourites when they come up on Toy of the Week!

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Oracle said:
Mini99 said:
That a childhood figure!

I was careful - my first figure was chewed by the dog and I remember being so upset I took great care of all the rest. I'm slowly archiving/photographing my collection and will hopefully get to share a few favourites when they come up on Toy of the Week!
If they are all in that condition then we will look forward to it!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Oracle said:

Nice cardback with bubble still attached to the card and a beautiful amanaman 8) Cool that you still have such a beautiful piece from your childhood, thanks for sharing your amanaman with the rest of us, so does all your figures and cardbacks from your childhood look so great ? :wink:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
Oracle said:
Mini99 said:
That a childhood figure!

Agreed! Congratulations on being such a careful child :)

I looked after my figures really well back then too, but I didn't have the wit to keep the cardbacks, so top marks for doing that and for not removing the bubble either!

It still amazes me that so many children didn't remove the bubbles and kept the cards. Did you do this with all your figures from day one, or is it something you started doing deeper into the run?

Oracle

Padawan
Snaketibe said:
Mini99 said:
Oracle said:
Agreed! Congratulations on being such a careful child :)

I looked after my figures really well back then too, but I didn't have the wit to keep the cardbacks, so top marks for doing that and for not removing the bubble either!

It still amazes me that so many children didn't remove the bubbles and kept the cards. Did you do this with all your figures from day one, or is it something you started doing deeper into the run?

Thanks! I kept cardbacks and bubbles from day 1 (early 80s) for all the figures that I bought new or were given to me. Unfortunately I have misplaced a few bubbles. At first I took the bubbles right off, but later, especially with the Trilogos I found I could tease the bubble open to get the figure out. A few of my last figures I didn't even bother taking out (until I opened all but 1 early 90s), so have one MOC. I also bought loose from car boot sales and friends, so don't have cardbacks/bubbles for those.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom