Were you a "one toy line" kid?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Another thread got me thinking, were you 100% obsessed with Star Wars (or any other toy line) or did you have lots of different toys? And which ones passed you by?

Although Star Wars certainly stands out as my favourite toys back then, I had toys from quite a few other lines too:

MASK
Centurions
Galaxy Rangers
Visionaries
Real Ghostbusters
Monster In My Pocket
Sportstars
Zoids
Go-Bots
Manta Force

On the other hand, some of the big brands I either never had or wasn't really interested in were:

He-Man
Action Force
Action Man
Transformers
WWF
Micro Machines

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I moved from Star Wars to Transformers, He-man and M.A.S.K. Later I got into Micro Machines and Hornby. One of my favourite lines was TCR (Total Control Racing) which was an alternative to Scaletrix.

My biggest childhood regret was selling my original run of Transformers' comics. I never got into the Star Wars comics but I had a huge run of Transformers from issue 1 onwards.

MightyMike

Padawan
Trainset, Action man, Transformers, Zoids but it was Star Wars that I have my best memories, and getting most excited about (opening the Millennium Falcon I think I nearly wet myself - my parents had put it in a bigger box to fool me). I just don't get the same excitement when exploring my parents attic and looking at the other toys

I had TCR (still got really) as well, but really wanted Scaletrix as all my friends had that instead.

If I had a bigger house (and the other half would let me) I'm sure I would have it all out on display, so I'm sure I will be putting it all on eBay at some point

lejackal

Grand Master
From memory I had the following:
Blackstar - just Overlord
Thundercats - I had the sword of Omens and I think Lion-O
Visionaries - just Leoric
MOTU - Prince Adam, Skeletor, Trap Kaw Man-E-Faces and Battle Cat (i then picked up Castle Grayskull, He-Man and Man-At-Arms when a quite a bit older, say 12-14)
Action Force - I only had Zartan and his sled
Transformers - I only had Topspin and Dirge
Starcom - I had quite a bit of this, including the monstrous Shadow Upriser
Star Wars -
Vehicle wise I had an X Wing, Y Wing, Interceptor, AT-ST, Speederbike, MTV-7 and CAP-2. Figures I had Luke FB, Vader, Leia Bespin, R2 Sensorscope, RL limbs Threepio, IG-88 with a bowcaster despite never owning Chewy, Stormtrooper, Dengar, Han Hoth, Luke Hoth, Wicket, Chirpa, Logray, Teebo, Lando Bespin, Luke X Wing, B Wing Pilot, General Madine, Ugnaught, AT-AT Commander, Lando Skiff, Ree Yees and an AT-ST driver. Pretty sure that's it, definitely didn't have anything fancy figure wise but was pretty lucky with the vehicles

I'm sure there are some that I've forgotten but Star Wars was the main series for me, followed by Starcom and then through my teens and into my early 20s it was all things Games Workshop

MightyMike

Padawan
Forgot about the Games Workshop - just got rid of a lot of books/metal figures recently

I think they're bigger nerds than us!

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Other lines I was mad on BITD:

ZOIDS
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
ACTION MAN
ACTION FORCE
LEGO
MEGO FIGURES
ACTION JACKS
MATCHBOX CARS
TRANSFORMERS

I was getting a bit too old for the likes of He Man and Thundercats by the time they were massive but that didn't stop me loving the cartoons or even having the odd figure from the line - but it wasn't the same spark that SW gave me.

I was a bit strange as a kid/teenager as I was still buying Lego sets at 15 and 16. I was even buying second hand SW figures off friends back then too.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
For me the main ones throughout my childhood were Lego, Star Wars and Action Man. There were a group of us at school who were properly into Star Wars toys, so I'd say Star Wars probably had the edge.

When I stopped collecting Star Wars (just as the 77-backs were released - Wicket was my last figure) I was in to Transformers for about a year, but by then was really getting too old for toys (too young to realise that you're never too old for toys!). I didn't get into Action Force but did buy the Shadowtrak because it just looked so damn cool. As others have mentioned we then moved on to D&D and Citadel Miniatures.

We had other toys like Scalextric, a train set and Subbuteo - the kind of toys you obsessed over for a few days then packed up again for 6 months! I also had stuff like the 6 Million Dollar Man & Masketron, Palitoy Dalek, etc... We also had Action Jack figures and some of those bloody awful Cherilea Action Man copy dolls. My parents bought them for the vehicles as they were cheaper than Action Man... unfortunately Action Man was a bit too big to sit inside them!

My borther's younger than me and got into Zoids and MUSCLE figures, but I was too old by then.

I've been tempted by Action Man but never dipped my toe, probably being put off by 40th anniversary releases.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I was almost exclusively Stars Wars with a smattering of Lego (mostly jumble sale pick ups but some Technic when I was older)

The other main line I was really into which doesn't get any love these days was Robotics. These were modular play sets that could be built into various space machines and operated with motors. Best of all they were 3 3/4 scale so worked really well with my Star Wars toys.
I knew I wanted to be an engineer at a very young age so I think my dad bought these for me to fan the flames.

spoons

Grand Master
I stopped playing with toys around 1984 so had some Jedi figs and a He-Man but none after that. Transformers and anything later passed me by. Looking back there was a lot less choice in the UK before 1984.

Action Man and Star Wars were defintiely my favourites and still are today. But I also loved my Mego superheroes, Britains Deetail (soldiers, cowboys and space), Scalextric, Lego Matchbox/Dinky cars and Matchbox MAC but I've never been tempted to collect toy cars despite loving them as a kid.

I agree with Paul that Scalextric came out for a few days and then disappeared again, but the others got regular plays.

subzero

Sith Lord
Mine were...

MOTU,
Hero Turtles,
WWF,
Manta Force,
A-Team,
Micro Machines ( especially the Star Wars 'Space' lines ),
Monster In My Pocket,
Mini Boglins,
Mighty Max,
Matchbox cars,
Play-Doh,
Lego,
POG,
Subbuteo,
Tamagotchi,
Anything electronic toy related such as handheld Tiger games and Tomytronic 3D.
And also not considered a 'toy' but still need to include it because my childhood absolutely revolved around it, the Commodore 64 computer, very fond memories of that will stay with me forever.

As a few honorary mentions I did also have toys from other toy lines too which I also loved such as Visionaries, Knight Rider, Hero Gladiators, Rock lords, Robotech and others, but as I only ever had the one figure I won't include those as that 'obsession' wasn't there as much as the other toy lines on my list. Also can't beat the odd cheapo no-name toys from indoor shopping markets such as plastic swords, generic army figures & vehicles, electronic light-up army machine guns and cap guns, rip-off 'WWF style' figures plus many others, all cheap shite and I still had as much fun with those than with any popular branded toy lines.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
spoons said:
I stopped playing with toys around 1984 so had some Jedi figs and a He-Man but none after that. Transformers and anything later passed me by. Looking back there was a lot less choice in the UK before 1984.

Action Man and Star Wars were defintiely my favourites and still are today. But I also loved my Mego superheroes, Britains Deetail (soldiers, cowboys and space), Scalextric, Lego Matchbox/Dinky cars and Matchbox MAC but I've never been tempted to collect toy cars despite loving them as a kid.

I agree with Paul that Scalextric came out for a few days and then disappeared again, but the others got regular plays.
Britains! Completely forgot about those. We had various German and Allies figures.

MightyMike

Padawan
mr_palitoy said:
Action man was my big thing. And Hornby railway.

:)

Jason

Action Man and Palitoy? I've got one of these tucked away somewhere, loved it as a kid

Field Gun.JPG

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Star Wars was the first and always the main. But Masters of the Universe was a close second. I always wanted an Optimus Prime from Transformers but never got one. Although I can't complain as I did have plenty of toys. The main ones I had were:

Star Wars
He-Man
Thundercats
Ghostbusters
Micro Machines
Lego

I sold everything except the Star Wars stuff in the mid 00's and really regret selling the He-Man stuff. Stuff that passed me by were:

Action Man
Transformers
Action Force
Teenage Mutant Ninjar Turtles

Transformers was the only one out of them I was really into but only ever got a couple of figures, the rest never interested me.

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
Star Wars was the main toyline for me but I did have Transformers, a couple of Zoids, an action man and some of the Hero Turtles line. Lego was an ever-constant too.
The Transformers arrived one Christmas when the Star Wars line had all but disappeared from the shelves, and I loved them. Turtles came later and I thought they were so cool. I still have the turtles, most of my Transformers and pretty much all my Star Wars toys :wink:

stu70

Padawan
Other than Star Wars,

Black Hole, VINCENT is still one of my favourite figures.
Battlestar Galactica.
Mego figures.
Scalextric.
Micronauts, the magnetic ones in black and white, robots and horses that fired missiles!
Britains figures, WW2, Cowboys and Indians, Knights, Stargards and Aliens.
Action Man and Tommy Gun, which I think was a budget version as he only had plastic hair.
Six Million Dollar Man.
Evil Knievel, stunt bike, lone gone sadly.
Fighting Furies by Matchbox.

:)

spoons

Grand Master
peekaygee73 said:
spoons said:

Britains! Completely forgot about those. We had various German and Allies figures.

My Britains soldiers are the only toys my dad wouldnt let me sell when i was 12. They now live in a cabinet by my bed :D

Wish he'd stopped me selling the Star Wars too

poncho

Grand Master
i was too young when starwars toys on the shelf to buy i was that first hand me down generation from your brother and his friends.

the toys i loved and had as a mid 80s kid

were

lego
marbles
britains soldier
matchbox corgie cars
visionairies
manta force
motu
transformers/gobots
scaleeltrics tracks
fisher price aplha starships/figures

i was also obsessed with cereal give away toys and often rooted for the toy straight away left the bag open and mum would moan as they went stale quickly

pmsbull

Jedi Master
Star Wars was my world, still is

Action Man was pretty popular with me as a young kid

Loved playing pool and board games, then video games happened.

Been in on that since day 1.

Still have zx spectrum stuff and some PS 1 & 2, but that's going to be sold.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom