Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Here you can browse the popular 'toy of the week' threads which focus on particular characters or vehicles.
User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 12524
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Post by Pomse2001 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:10 pm

General Madine:
General Madine.jpg
General Madine.jpg (37.56 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
It is now 50 weeks since I started Star Wars Toy of the Week and I must it has been fantastic to see all the beautiful items in so many members collections 8) Thanks guys for all the great pictures, the great info about the toy and all the great stories about the toy :wink:

User avatar
apack7229
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1193
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:35 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Post by apack7229 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Here’s my group. The cut bubble is opened on two side but the staff is still taped to the bubble.
Attachments
5E3270D0-F902-4ED2-903D-D3D2BC9A6C0F.jpeg
5E3270D0-F902-4ED2-903D-D3D2BC9A6C0F.jpeg (200.36 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
A39D1A8A-C265-4C17-ACCC-323AE94CEF37.jpeg
A39D1A8A-C265-4C17-ACCC-323AE94CEF37.jpeg (211.1 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
699B0E70-C4C0-4159-8EED-A4F41002F1A3.jpeg
699B0E70-C4C0-4159-8EED-A4F41002F1A3.jpeg (215.16 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
E4A3C81C-5725-4B05-A05A-71F6FF07B091.jpeg
E4A3C81C-5725-4B05-A05A-71F6FF07B091.jpeg (123.93 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 12524
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Post by Pomse2001 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:25 pm

apack7229 wrote:Here’s my group. The cut bubble is opened on two side but the staff is still taped to the bubble.
ok that is what I call an army of cardbacks :lol: 8) lovely collection of cardbacks and figures, also a nice cut bubble 8) thanks mate for sharing your awesome collection :D is the other a moc ?

User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 3288
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Post by Snaketibe » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:00 pm

apack7229 wrote:Here’s my group. The cut bubble is opened on two side but the staff is still taped to the bubble.
Great collection! An impressive array of cardbacks and figures.

Thanks for sharing :-)

User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 3288
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Post by Snaketibe » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:42 pm

OK Lars, it's time for Mr Exciting himself, is it? Surely every child's favourite figure, General Madine was at the very forefront of both the film and every childhood Star Wars playtime adventure!... Or not.

Why in God's name did Kenner choose this tedious offering over a Slave Leia, a Y-Wing Pilot, an Ishi Tib, a Gargan or an Oola?! They could have made any of those characters (hell, they could have made *ANY* other character!), but instead they chose to make this POS; a character so dull and boring he makes John Major look like Indiana Jones. I bet most kids wouldn't even remember him from the film (Madine, not Indiana or John ;-))! And then, just in case any child anywhere in the cosmos was still labouring under the impression there might be something remotely interesting about him, they dispensed with his brown jacket and made it grey instead; a perfect visual metaphor for tedium if ever there was one!

You might have guessed this isn't a favourite figure of mine ;-). However, I will say this much for it; it is, quite astonishingly, responsible for one of the rarest carded variants out there, in its Tri-Logo version. Plus, the figure itself does actually have some vaguely interesting loose variants, if you like that sort of thing... which I do! :-D

Jokes aside, this figure holds the dubious distinction of being the first MOC I ever owned after I started collecting again in the early 90's. Way back in the late 1980's, I was amazed to find a pair of carded Madines whilst rummaging in my mother's bedroom drawers for some sellotape. I wasn't collecting again yet, but I was still astonished to find them there and so I asked her what she was doing with them. She replied she'd bought them cheaply and thought they might make nice presents for some young lads. I rolled my eyes at that, and felt very sorry for the poor sod who was randomly given a General Madine as a present years after the films had ended! Little was I to know it at the time, but it turned out that I was one of those poor sods, as when, a few years later, I did start collecting again, my mother still had one of them and was quite happy to offload it onto me!

And here it is! A mint Palitoy 65B twin-stemmed General Madine that spent years of its existence languishing unloved in a drawer :-D
General Excitement - 01.jpg
General Excitement - 01.jpg (142.8 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
And here are three loose variants. From left to right, a Hong Kong moulded face, light grey hair, light brown belt. A Taiwan moulded face, green-grey hair, dark brown belt. And lastly, a Hong Kong, painted face, dark grey hair, dark brown belt:
General Excitement - 02.jpg
General Excitement - 02.jpg (117.69 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
General Excitement - 03.jpg
General Excitement - 03.jpg (118.9 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
And just for Lars, those COO's!:
General Excitement - 04.jpg
General Excitement - 04.jpg (106.31 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
General Excitement - 05.jpg
General Excitement - 05.jpg (94.54 KiB) Viewed 1166 times

User avatar
apack7229
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1193
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:35 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Post by apack7229 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:41 pm

Pomse2001 wrote: ok that is what I call an army of cardbacks :lol: 8) lovely collection of cardbacks and figures, also a nice cut bubble 8) thanks mate for sharing your awesome collection :D is the other a moc ?
Snaketibe wrote: Great collection! An impressive array of cardbacks and figures.
Thanks for sharing :-)
Thanks guys. :) there’s two madine Mocs. Both are 65 backs with different bubble types.

User avatar
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1806
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Somewhere Down The Rabbit Hole

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Post by TheJabbaWookie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:23 pm

Definitively beardly. If you haven’t listened to it, it’s worth going over to the Chive Cast to listen to their Sexy Madine episode
http://blog.theswca.com/2018/10/chive-c ... rdley.html
“Don’t stagger until I tell you”

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 12524
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Post by Pomse2001 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:07 am

Snaketibe wrote:OK Lars, it's time for Mr Exciting himself, is it? Surely every child's favourite figure, General Madine was at the very forefront of both the film and every childhood Star Wars playtime adventure!... Or not.

Why in God's name did Kenner choose this tedious offering over a Slave Leia, a Y-Wing Pilot, an Ishi Tib, a Gargan or an Oola?! They could have made any of those characters (hell, they could have made *ANY* other character!), but instead they chose to make this POS; a character so dull and boring he makes John Major look like Indiana Jones. I bet most kids wouldn't even remember him from the film (Madine, not Indiana or John ;-))! And then, just in case any child anywhere in the cosmos was still labouring under the impression there might be something remotely interesting about him, they dispensed with his brown jacket and made it grey instead; a perfect visual metaphor for tedium if ever there was one!

You might have guessed this isn't a favourite figure of mine ;-). However, I will say this much for it; it is, quite astonishingly, responsible for one of the rarest carded variants out there, in its Tri-Logo version. Plus, the figure itself does actually have some vaguely interesting loose variants, if you like that sort of thing... which I do! :-D

Jokes aside, this figure holds the dubious distinction of being the first MOC I ever owned after I started collecting again in the early 90's. Way back in the late 1980's, I was amazed to find a pair of carded Madines whilst rummaging in my mother's bedroom drawers for some sellotape. I wasn't collecting again yet, but I was still astonished to find them there and so I asked her what she was doing with them. She replied she'd bought them cheaply and thought they might make nice presents for some young lads. I rolled my eyes at that, and felt very sorry for the poor sod who was randomly given a General Madine as a present years after the films had ended! Little was I to know it at the time, but it turned out that I was one of those poor sods, as when, a few years later, I did start collecting again, my mother still had one of them and was quite happy to offload it onto me!

And here it is! A mint Palitoy 65B twin-stemmed General Madine that spent years of its existence languishing unloved in a drawer :-D

General Excitement - 01.jpg
And here are three loose variants. From left to right, a Hong Kong moulded face, light grey hair, light brown belt. A Taiwan moulded face, green-grey hair, dark brown belt. And lastly, a Hong Kong, painted face, dark grey hair, dark brown belt:

General Excitement - 02.jpg

General Excitement - 03.jpg
And just for Lars, those COO's!:

General Excitement - 04.jpg

General Excitement - 05.jpg
Sounds like you do not like general madine :lol: I must say I think he is ok. But I would have been more happy to get some other officers like General Jan Dodonna from a new hope :lol: Then they could also have made the rebel command room on yavin as a playset for SW. Slave Leia or a Y-Wing Pilot would also have been great :D

Also a great story about that moc from your mother 8) I wish my mom had something like that :lol:

Great collections of moc, cardbacks and figures. I love the variants very much. Thanks mate for all the pictures, the great info and stories :D

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 12524
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Post by Pomse2001 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:09 am

apack7229 wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote: ok that is what I call an army of cardbacks :lol: 8) lovely collection of cardbacks and figures, also a nice cut bubble 8) thanks mate for sharing your awesome collection :D is the other a moc ?
Snaketibe wrote: Great collection! An impressive array of cardbacks and figures.
Thanks for sharing :-)
Thanks guys. :) there’s two madine Mocs. Both are 65 backs with different bubble types.
I did not know there was different bubbles for same backs, cool :D

User avatar
Ruby2511
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 1492
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Post by Ruby2511 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Snaketibe wrote:OK Lars, it's time for Mr Exciting himself, is it? Surely every child's favourite figure, General Madine was at the very forefront of both the film and every childhood Star Wars playtime adventure!... Or not.

Why in God's name did Kenner choose this tedious offering over a Slave Leia, a Y-Wing Pilot, an Ishi Tib, a Gargan or an Oola?! They could have made any of those characters (hell, they could have made *ANY* other character!), but instead they chose to make this POS; a character so dull and boring he makes John Major look like Indiana Jones. I bet most kids wouldn't even remember him from the film (Madine, not Indiana or John ;-))! And then, just in case any child anywhere in the cosmos was still labouring under the impression there might be something remotely interesting about him, they dispensed with his brown jacket and made it grey instead; a perfect visual metaphor for tedium if ever there was one!

You might have guessed this isn't a favourite figure of mine ;-). However, I will say this much for it; it is, quite astonishingly, responsible for one of the rarest carded variants out there, in its Tri-Logo version. Plus, the figure itself does actually have some vaguely interesting loose variants, if you like that sort of thing... which I do! :-D

Jokes aside, this figure holds the dubious distinction of being the first MOC I ever owned after I started collecting again in the early 90's. Way back in the late 1980's, I was amazed to find a pair of carded Madines whilst rummaging in my mother's bedroom drawers for some sellotape. I wasn't collecting again yet, but I was still astonished to find them there and so I asked her what she was doing with them. She replied she'd bought them cheaply and thought they might make nice presents for some young lads. I rolled my eyes at that, and felt very sorry for the poor sod who was randomly given a General Madine as a present years after the films had ended! Little was I to know it at the time, but it turned out that I was one of those poor sods, as when, a few years later, I did start collecting again, my mother still had one of them and was quite happy to offload it onto me!

And here it is! A mint Palitoy 65B twin-stemmed General Madine that spent years of its existence languishing unloved in a drawer :-D

General Excitement - 01.jpg
And here are three loose variants. From left to right, a Hong Kong moulded face, light grey hair, light brown belt. A Taiwan moulded face, green-grey hair, dark brown belt. And lastly, a Hong Kong, painted face, dark grey hair, dark brown belt:

General Excitement - 02.jpg

General Excitement - 03.jpg
And just for Lars, those COO's!:

General Excitement - 04.jpg

General Excitement - 05.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hi i'm Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 12524
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Post by Pomse2001 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:08 pm

ok here is my madine collection :D

first my 2 moc
01.jpg
01.jpg (171.7 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (201.17 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (167.63 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
04.jpg
04.jpg (215.89 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 12524
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Post by Pomse2001 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:10 pm

here are my cardbacks
P1170716.JPG
P1170716.JPG (232.05 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
P1170717.JPG
P1170717.JPG (286.91 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
P1170718.JPG
P1170718.JPG (223.92 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
P1170719.JPG
P1170719.JPG (268.75 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
P1170720.JPG
P1170720.JPG (227.13 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
P1170721.JPG
P1170721.JPG (280.96 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
P1170722.JPG
P1170722.JPG (231.32 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
P1170723.JPG
P1170723.JPG (285.29 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
P1170724.JPG
P1170724.JPG (223.02 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
P1170725.JPG
P1170725.JPG (278.21 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 12524
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Post by Pomse2001 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:12 pm

and my last cardback with my variants
P1170712.JPG
P1170712.JPG (84.66 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
P1170713.JPG
P1170713.JPG (79.72 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
P1170714.JPG
P1170714.JPG (82.44 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
P1170715.JPG
P1170715.JPG (82.49 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
P1170726.JPG
P1170726.JPG (232.69 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
P1170727.JPG
P1170727.JPG (277.17 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 3288
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Post by Snaketibe » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:and my last cardback with my variants

P1170712.JPG

P1170713.JPG

P1170714.JPG

P1170715.JPG

P1170726.JPG

P1170727.JPG
That's a whole lot of love for Madine! Another stellar collection, Lars, with an impressive number of cardbacks and figure variants to complement your MOCs.

Thanks for sharing, as always :-)

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 12524
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2

Post by Pomse2001 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:and my last cardback with my variants

P1170712.JPG

P1170713.JPG

P1170714.JPG

P1170715.JPG

P1170726.JPG

P1170727.JPG
That's a whole lot of love for Madine! Another stellar collection, Lars, with an impressive number of cardbacks and figure variants to complement your MOCs.

Thanks for sharing, as always :-)
Thanks mate for your always so kind words :D

Post Reply