SWFUK

New retroline.......

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Re: New retroline.......

Postby jayums » Mon May 20, 2019 5:41 pm

Well that sucks. What the hell is a safety sheet? Some sort of inane EU regulation no doubt! Will cancel my preorder and import.

User avatar
Crumm
Regular
Regular
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: New retroline.......

Postby Crumm » Mon May 20, 2019 7:23 pm

jayums wrote:Well that sucks. What the hell is a safety sheet? Some sort of inane EU regulation no doubt! Will cancel my preorder and import.


It's weird. Almost like Hasbro don't know who to aim these at in our market, surely they must know that collectors don't want that monstrosity behind the figure?.

If they are aiming at kids who will open and play with them then I think that is a misfire.

If they are aiming at 40-something collectors who will collect them all, then the sticker and paperwork is a big misfire.

Maybe they are trying to appeal to everyone, collector, casual buyer, and kids, I don't know.

I was definitely looking at collecting all of these, but that paper inside is a deal breaker for me.
"Everything is under control here, situation normal"

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Re: New retroline.......

Postby jayums » Mon May 20, 2019 8:01 pm

Perhaps it’s something Hasbro doesn’t have a choice about if it’s a legal requirement over here.

Having seen the imported ones in hand I actually didn’t mind the sticker. It’s nicer than it appears in photos, and personally I don’t think I’d attempt to remove it. The ageing affect on the card isn’t great, but actually the biggest turn off is the quality of the card. It’s cheap and thin. It doesn’t give me vintage vibes at all.

That said, IMO the figures are excellent. I have a minty loose vintage set, and they look a bit tired next to these. Army building stormtrooper collectors must be on cloud nine. The highlight for me though is definitely Tarkin, which I think was a nicely done figure that doesn’t look out of place with the originals.
I had no interest in the board game really but it is very nice done. I hope it does well as I’d like to see more characters not previously released.

I would agree that I wish they put more effort into the cards. They aren’t perfect. But they aren’t bad either. I still think at about a tenner a pop these are a pretty cool set, and certainly an affordable alternative to the real thing.

User avatar
Crumm
Regular
Regular
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: New retroline.......

Postby Crumm » Mon May 20, 2019 9:24 pm

jayums wrote:Perhaps it’s something Hasbro doesn’t have a choice about if it’s a legal requirement over here.

Having seen the imported ones in hand I actually didn’t mind the sticker. It’s nicer than it appears in photos, and personally I don’t think I’d attempt to remove it. The ageing affect on the card isn’t great, but actually the biggest turn off is the quality of the card. It’s cheap and thin. It doesn’t give me vintage vibes at all.

That said, IMO the figures are excellent. I have a minty loose vintage set, and they look a bit tired next to these. Army building stormtrooper collectors must be on cloud nine. The highlight for me though is definitely Tarkin, which I think was a nicely done figure that doesn’t look out of place with the originals.
I had no interest in the board game really but it is very nice done. I hope it does well as I’d like to see more characters not previously released.

I would agree that I wish they put more effort into the cards. They aren’t perfect. But they aren’t bad either. I still think at about a tenner a pop these are a pretty cool set, and certainly an affordable alternative to the real thing.


Maybe Hasbro don't have a choice as you say.

But I find it really disappointing, I was going to collect these and keep them carded as I am doing a loose run of vintage, and these would have been nice to collect alongside that.

I don't mind the sticker, but the paper really spoils it to the point where I won't bother with these now.
"Everything is under control here, situation normal"

User avatar
Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 912
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: New retroline.......

Postby Darth Bobby » Tue May 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Man that’s ugly. Tempted to cancel my order now? :roll:

User avatar
_Lee_
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 8:46 pm

Re: New retroline.......

Postby _Lee_ » Tue May 21, 2019 6:24 pm

They look hideous. Talk about saturating :D

IMO they lost themselves after the Phantom menace line. Horrendous looking figures, awful packaging design and so much more since then. I havent bought a figure at full price for around 16 years now.
Vintage toys ,prop and autograph collector and Luton Town FC supporter.
Also try to play guitar with the guy in my avatar as an inspiration!
JASON BECKER STILL THE BEST EVER AND STILL HERE DESPITE A.L.S.

User avatar
Mr-Trilogo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:52 pm
Location: France

Re: New retroline.......

Postby Mr-Trilogo » Wed May 22, 2019 8:40 am

Agreed. Not worth it with the ugly paper sheet behind them.

Was thinking of ordering Vader and Chewie.

Now I might only get Chewie , crack it open and display him next to my 1995 classic edition Chewbacca.
WANTED :
Meccano ROTJ Chewbacca /Chiquetaba MOC
Meccano Klaatu MOC

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Re: New retroline.......

Postby jayums » Wed May 22, 2019 6:06 pm

Apparently the U.K. stock is going to be from a different production run (heads up variant collectors!) and its uncertain whether they will have the safety sheets at this time.

Probably worth holding off cancelling pre orders until we see what they look like.

User avatar
indianawars
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1335
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:20 am
Location: Surrey, England
Contact:

Re: New retroline.......

Postby indianawars » Wed May 22, 2019 9:53 pm

I'd love to see what they would do with the prequels! Maul, Anakin, etc...

I like the idea, although little unnessusary re-releasing the classics. Give us something new with an old twist.

User avatar
Crumm
Regular
Regular
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: New retroline.......

Postby Crumm » Thu May 23, 2019 12:41 pm

jayums wrote:Apparently the U.K. stock is going to be from a different production run (heads up variant collectors!) and its uncertain whether they will have the safety sheets at this time.

Probably worth holding off cancelling pre orders until we see what they look like.


That is good to know.

I thought about cancelling, but I am going to leave my pre-order on and just see what turns up, I really hope they don't have the paper inside though.

If they do, and I hate it enough not to keep them, I can probably move them on for the same as I paid, or a little less.
"Everything is under control here, situation normal"

User avatar
chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:27 am

Re: New retroline.......

Postby chipsteak » Thu May 23, 2019 3:12 pm

Regarding the horrible safety sheets, I'm hoping the Tarkin figure won't require one as it's bundled with a bigger set which should carry its own bumf. As for the others, modern figures traditionally have had these beneath the feet so here's hoping.

Leemcl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:05 am

Re: New retroline.......

Postby Leemcl » Wed May 29, 2019 6:25 pm

Can anyone advise what the UK release date is ? I’ve had on pre order for a long while now and I think they were due out in June but finding the correct information is hard. Will they be generally available ( lol - as if anything is “generally” available these days )

Also I have been trying to get some of these for my nephew’s Birthday. He’s in Australia but finding them from a Aus shop is proving really hard and possible they are not being generally stocked or won’t be out until the Autumn. You can get an “open” set from EBay but that sort of ruins the effect of being able to open the figures.

Any / all advice welcomed.

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Re: New retroline.......

Postby jayums » Wed May 29, 2019 8:45 pm

Think I read somewhere the release date for wave 1 is end of August. However there are rumblings this might change (possibly delayed).

They have been released in some stores in Australia already by all accounts so probably easier to get there than they are here?

The stock levels in Target stores seems pretty healthy stateside now, so I wouldn’t be tempted to pay scalper prices for them.

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 6906
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:55 am
Location: Gateshead UK

Re: New retroline.......

Postby Richard_H » Wed May 29, 2019 8:50 pm

They have been released today in comic stores across the UK
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Re: New retroline.......

Postby jayums » Wed May 29, 2019 9:00 pm

Richard_H wrote:They have been released today in comic stores across the UK


cheers Richard - I didn’t know that - I thought it was pre-order only at the mo - are these imported stock (not hasbro U.K. stock)? What’s the price looking like?


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: edd_jedi and 2 guests